Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sks thoughts

Default Sks thoughts

Hey I was trying to do some research about the sks... I recently bought one from a friend it was his father's. I have found so far that you can only date the ones that are made in the #26 factory mine is made in 016 so i'm still looking for a way to date mine but i am slowly realizing it probly can't be done. Next Is the dreaded 922r compliant the gun is stock with the bayonet except for the 30 round clip i have. I hear about the No more that 10 non US parts and that the gun has 14 parts and changing the mag counts a two.. I was just wondering what others had done to fix theirs. I would like to keep the bayonet though and if anyone knows anymore about the 016 factory. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sks thoughts

don't have any info on the factory code but that's where it was produced, there are quiet a few factories, the serial number is the key to the year of manufacture, i have a sks book that tells you, from right to left count back six digits, the digits left over is the number for the year of manufacture,
    if you count back six digits and the remaing digits say are 23 then the sks was made in 1979, the highest would be 29 and that would make it a 1985 maufacture.

(Bucks County)

Here are some site with loads of great information and for the love of God, don't Bubba that SKS!!! The Victorinc site should answer all your questions about part's count and 922 compliance.

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/

http://www.yooperj.com/

(Lancaster County)

Seriously, don't mess with it. Get some stripper clips and use those. The detachable mags are always sketchy, and the strippers load much quicker.

Some of those norinco sks's can be quite collectable too, but not if they get all 'tacticooled' out.

Enjoy it, they're solid guns.

(Lancaster County)

You are correct in that only the factory /26\ SKS can be accurately dated.

There are ways to provide a close date of production for non /26\ SKS such as yours by looking at the features of the rifle. Again it would be only a close date of Manf.

Also the SKS as an imported weapon does need to comply with 922r. which is
    the 10 or less imported parts game when aftermarket products are added such as but not limited to the detachable magazine.

For a ton of info. and perhaps some help with a few pics of your SKS to date it please refer to the link provided on my sig line. We're a friendly bunch and don't collect appendages. (smile)
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(York County)

Maybe I'm missing something here.
    There's a lot of discussion of 922r, but that only comes in to play if the rifle is going to be modified. That 30 round magazine may have been a stock item if the rifle is a D or M model (they use detachable AK mags), so that's the first thing to determine.
    If the rifle was modded by the previous owner, it may already be 922r compliant (I'd be surprised if it was though). That's the second thing to be determined.
    If the previous owner did add the 30 round detachable mag, the OP might ask if the factory 10 round fixed is available and will still fit the rifle...if it is available and the rifle wasn't modded for the 30 rounder, just put the factory fixed box back on. No 922r compliance requirements then.
    Like mak47 wrote, using stripper clips works quite well and can be fast (of course, I'm not fast with 'em!). And, don't bubba that rifle....they're fine just as they come out of the factory.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; January 16th, 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: corrected spelling error
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here.
    There's a lot of discussion of 922r, but that only comes in to play if the rifle is going to be modified. That 30 round magazine may have been a stock item if the rifle is a D or M model (they use detachable AK mags), so that's the first thing to determine.
    That is true but it wouldn't be a M model. They didn't have a bayo. The OP said he has one (bayo) and would like it to remain on the SKS. So while possible it could be a D model that takes the true AK mag it is undetermined.

If the rifle was modded by the previous owner, it may already be 922r compliant (I'd be surprised if it was though). That's the second thing to be determined.
    As you suggest that would be very doubtfull

If the previous owner did add the 30 round detachable mag, the OP might ask if the factory 10 round fixed is available and will still fit the rifle...if it is available and the rifle wasn't modded for the 30 rounder, just put the factory fixed box back on. No 922r compliance requirements then.
    Like mak47 wrote, using stripper clips works quite well and can be fast (of course, I'm not fast with 'em!). And, don't bubba that rifle....they're fine just as they come out of the factory.
    Agree .. personally I favor stripper clips over the detachable aftermarket mags although the TAPCO 20's seem to work very well.
    As others have suggested you could purchase an original fixed 10 round and then not worry about playing the 10 or less game.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    That is true but it wouldn't be a M model. They didn't have a bayo. The OP said he has one (bayo) and would like it to remain on the SKS. So while possible it could be a D model that takes the true AK mag it is undetermined.
    Yeah, I can never remember which has the bayonet. Hell, I owned an M model for about 15 years before I even knew it was an M model. They sold 'em as SKS Sporters back then.
    I don't shoot it much as I prefer the 10 round fixed box Paratrooper (general purpose "toss it in the truck" rifle). NO, the M model is not for sale.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Clarion County)

An SKS is best left alone with it's internal magazine and stripper clips for reliability. The only worthwhile mod I can think of might be a firing pin spring to help prevent slam fires.

(Lancaster County)

NO, the M model is not for sale.

LOL ... that was my next question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast