Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: S&W 500

(Luzerne County)

Default S&W 500

I have been thinking of adding one to my stable. Don't really need one, but then again I don't need much of what is in the safe now.

Talk me into or out of it.

Who has one?
    What do you think of it?
    Do you reload for it?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: S&W 500

are you talking about the grizzly gun, with the orange handle? i picked one up last week; that has to be the biggest "snubbie" i've ever held. better do some steroids.

i still say go for it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    are you talking about the grizzly gun, with the orange handle? i picked one up last week; that has to be the biggest "snubbie" i've ever held. better do some steroids.

i still say go for it.
    Haven't decided on which one yet. Probably not the grizzly version. It will be a used piece. Saw one last night.

Have to pay the Kimber off first.

You just want shoot it? Don't cha?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

I would say go for it, but retail costs on ammo is in the 3 bucks per round area!!! Which is absolutely absurd. Of course .308 performance (in ft lbs anyway) from a revolver is great... a second mortgage to buy a case of ammo is not.

Reloading would be the only way to shoot that beast. It is a bit of a curio then a practical piece as far as I am concerned. Considering the amount of the 500's I have seen used it looks like others agree...

(Disclaimer: I always recommend buying any Smith revolver you can afford, this is an exception.)
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Luzerne County)

I have the 4" compensated model. I love mine. The recoil is not as punishing as you might expect, especially with some gloves on. It's always fun to bring to the range because everyone wants to try it out.

If you don't reload, you'll very soon spend more money on ammo than the cost of the gun. I reload for mine. It's an easy round to load for. I didn't run into any problems reloading. I do make sure I have a good crimp to prevent the bullet from creeping forward. I use Hodgdon lil' gun powder, which has produced very consistent results.

I use 335 gr Rainier TMJ bullets over 38.0 gr of lil' gun using CCI large rifle primers. It costs me 38 cents per round (not including brass). I also make reduced loads with Unique that cost 32 cents per round. I just picked up some cast bullets that will further drop the cost to 19 cents per round using the reduced load. So, it is not very expensive to shoot if you reload... not to mention, you're probably not gonna go out and shoot a hundred of these in a sitting... unless you're angry at yourself.

I vote get one.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me (or ask on here, since it is your thread )
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Mercer County)

I own 3 S&W 500's the two pictured here are the first two I purchased. These are consecutive serial numbered. The one that isn't pictured is a performance center 500.

This one was bought to hunt with.

This one with the scratches was scratched by S&W Master engraver Wayne DeAngelo. It was purchased to be a safe queen.

The mule deer on the 4 Wheeler to the right & and the bull were taken with the first 500 pictured. The muley was one shot at 125 Yards and Bull was a 2 shot kill at 175 yards.

IMHO everyone needs at least one 500.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Haven't decided on which one yet. Probably not the grizzly version. It will be a used piece. Saw one last night.

Have to pay the Kimber off first.

You just want shoot it? Don't cha?
    let me think about it.

YES.

(Luzerne County)

I picked up a 500 S&W barrel for my T/C Encore. The advice to reload is a good one. I started with my handloads, using some cases given to me by a friend.
    I ended up with a few of the very fine, and very heavy, bullets made by Rick Gibson up in Homer, AK. (Google Ranger Rick's bullets). A load that works well is one of his 600 grainers on top of a charge of Li'l Gun (1300fps). Not fun to shoot out of the Encore but consistent and accurate. He supplies data with the bullets which go as heavy as 700 grains (and down to more standard weights)
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Westmoreland County)

Buy one.

I have one from the performance center with the 10 1/2 inch barrel and carry strap.

It's my favorite hand gun to shoot. It's easier to control than my Ruger Super Red Hawk.

When I bought it, Mark(the gun sore owner), told me it pushes back more than raising up, and I find that to be true. It's very accurate. On good days, I've kept it in the rings at 100 yards with open sights.

It is also true, that it does draw attention at the range. Every time, someone comments on it and I offer to let them try it. Some will and some seem to to be intimidated.

One guy took me up on my offer and after destroying 4 water jugs I had lined up in a row, he told me when he first saw it he thought what a waste of money, after shooting it, he had to have one.

I'm still shooting factory rounds. I'm saving the brass and will eventually reload for it. Mostly I pay between about 1.50 to 1.75 a round depending on light loads and heavier ones.

In my opinion, it's well worth having one.

(Northumberland County)

yow! the .500 Magnum thats a overkill! i love the .500 S&W and .460 XVR Magnums i might own one some day when i am an old geezer and wants the most powerful mass production handgun in the world someday!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast