Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: S&W 500

Default Re: S&W 500

Quote Originally Posted by Nickname Tactical View Post
    Just go to youtube and take a look. The revolver is crazy huge for starters and people don't like to shoot this thing from what i'm hearing. I've actually held one but never fired that SOB. One of my buddies shot it twice and he said ohh no thats enough! and he's a big muscular guy so, it ain't no joke and it ain't for beginners with revolvers. Thats all i have to say about that SOB.
    I have the 10.5" Performance Center Model - I load 335 Ranier HP bullets on top of 37 gr Lil Gun (Same load and bullet for my 50 beowulf r15)
    It is accurate and not bad recoil. I can easily shoot 100 rounds with any ill effects at one outing. I am not a big guy either. All should own one, if no two or three, you will not want to shoot any other pistol if you shoot this. Of course, you can increase the load for a more brutal round, but why would you?

(Chester County)

(Lebanon County)

it's just a really big pussy cat with a really loud bark.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

I can easily shoot 100 rounds with any ill effects at one outing.
    Even reloading your own, that is an expensive outing.
    Just saying.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

reloading is not too bad. $1 for the first time, then about 40 cents per round after that (reusing the brass), not sure how many times Ill be able to reuse the brass, but after two times, I see 0 sign of fatigue in the brass, I am guessing 4-5 times per. Assume 5 times, that would put the overall cost of about 50 cents per round, not much more than buying commercial 357 magnum, or I'm my case 556 ammo.
    Plus, no way you can shoot as much as 556 so would overall be very reasonable.
    I use a dillon 550 for this and my 50 Beowulf, I use the same 335 gr ranger platted bullet, 37 gr Hodgen's Lil Gun for both. I use large rifle primer for the 500 and #350 large Magnum pistol for the Beowulf, but could use it for both. The only difference between my loads is the brass, so very practical and the only change in the reloading machine is the die to seat the bullut, same powder drop and crimp die, again very economical and amazingly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by rberardo View Post
    reloading is not too bad. $1 for the first time, then about 40 cents per round after that (reusing the brass), not sure how many times Ill be able to reuse the brass, but after two times, I see 0 sign of fatigue in the brass, I am guessing 4-5 times per. Assume 5 times, that would put the overall cost of about 50 cents per round, not much more than buying commercial 357 magnum, or I'm my case 556 ammo.
    Plus, no way you can shoot as much as 556 so would overall be very reasonable.
    I use a dillon 550 for this and my 50 Beowulf, I use the same 335 gr ranger platted bullet, 37 gr Hodgen's Lil Gun for both. I use large rifle primer for the 500 and #350 large Magnum pistol for the Beowulf, but could use it for both. The only difference between my loads is the brass, so very practical and the only change in the reloading machine is the die to seat the bullut, same powder drop and crimp die, again very economical and amazingly fast.
    as an update, I also have a desert eagle with no muzzle brake, only difficult thing is chasing the brass so you don't lose it. I use the same 335 gr Rainier bullet in the Desert eagle as I do the Beowulf and 500 magnum.

I recently acquired a GI 50 upper for my GLOCK 21, pretty much a slightly fatter 45 cap, I load this with the same 335 gr bullet and recoil similar to that of a stout 45 cap. They claim they 275 gr HP tested out at 40" of penetration in the gel test!

Out of all of the, it is fun shooting the desert eagle but chasing brass is a pain in the ass. so
    I have 4", 7.5" and 10 1/2" S&W 500, I love shooting the 4" as the recoil is pretty severe but fun, the 7 1/2" is easiest to handle with a lot less recoil than the 4" and the 10 1/2" has least amount of recoil but muzzle heavy, so out of the 3, the 7 1/2" is best to shoot with the 10 1/2 likely the most accurate.

As for the 50 Beowulf, it is my favorite AR caliber to shoot. The round devastates anything it comes in contact with and could load up to 35 rounds in a 90 round ar snail drum. Very accurate standing at 50 years with iron sights. Tried to mount a cheap scope on it and the first shot destroyed the reticle. So much for a scope.

I disagree with a previous post, I would say if you are a gun enthusiast, you SHOULD own at least 1 500 magnum and shoot it ALOT.

Have fund with it, clean and oil and repeat over and over again!

(Erie County)

You should test fire one first.

I have a .454 casull and it can be a handful with hot loads, uncomfortable to shoot.

Being able to reload would be a plus.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I have the 4" compensated model. I love mine. The recoil is not as punishing as you might expect, especially with some gloves on. It's always fun to bring to the range because everyone wants to try it out.

If you don't reload, you'll very soon spend more money on ammo than the cost of the gun. I reload for mine. It's an easy round to load for. I didn't run into any problems reloading. I do make sure I have a good crimp to prevent the bullet from creeping forward. I use Hodgdon lil' gun powder, which has produced very consistent results.

I use 335 gr Rainier TMJ bullets over 38.0 gr of lil' gun using CCI large rifle primers. It costs me 38 cents per round (not including brass). I also make reduced loads with Unique that cost 32 cents per round. I just picked up some cast bullets that will further drop the cost to 19 cents per round using the reduced load. So, it is not very expensive to shoot if you reload... not to mention, you're probably not gonna go out and shoot a hundred of these in a sitting... unless you're angry at yourself.

I vote get one.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me (or ask on here, since it is your thread )
    Did you calculate the ballistics for your loads? If so could you share them?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Well nevermind, did not realize this was a necro untill I noticed jahwarrior72 made the second post.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Well nevermind, did not realize this was a necro untill I noticed jahwarrior72 made the second post.
    A little necro thread never hurt nobody.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast