Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Farmland, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    442

    Default Handgun Training - South Central PA

    I'm looking to start carrying a handgun regularly, but would feel more comfortable taking some firearms training before I do so. I have some funds to enroll in classes, but not enough to travel. As much as I would love to attend Gunsite in AZ, it's just not feasible. So any classes in the Chambersburg/Carlisle, even a bit further, would be ideal.

    Also, I googled Lethal Weapons Training and came across the Act 235 training administered by the State Police. Is this training open to civilians? I think my closest location would be HACC in Harrisburg, which is a bit far but doable. Any one have experience with this training?

    I appreciate any feedback.

    Happy shooting

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    75555

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Give a call to Shooter's Range (sign still says Shooters Delight) on Edenville Rd. in Chambersburg. 262-0060. He's an ex-Chbg. LEO and gives classes regularly.
    Last edited by Karl/PA; January 15th, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    10,724
    Rep Power
    18675212

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    For practical FOF training, check out the West Shore Sportsmen's Association in Lewisberry, PA. This training will be FAR more useful than a one-day NRA class at Shooter's Range in Chambersburg.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PGH, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    253712

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    can you travel as far as Pittsburgh ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Farmland, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    442

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    can you travel as far as Pittsburgh ?
    I could if it'd be worth my time. One or two nights in a hotel are manageable. Pittsburgh is about 3 hours for me.

    Thanks for the info so far.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PGH, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    253712

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot4fun View Post
    I could if it'd be worth my time. One or two nights in a hotel are manageable. Pittsburgh is about 3 hours for me.

    Thanks for the info so far.
    We should have more info on the 2010 FIRE Institute schedule after this weekend. But I would expect Randy Cain to be back to do Handgun 101 sometime in the spring/summer.

    http://www.fireinstitute.org/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    (Cumberland County)
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Quote Originally Posted by ishoot4fun View Post
    I'm looking to start carrying a handgun regularly, but would feel more comfortable taking some firearms training before I do so. I have some funds to enroll in classes, but not enough to travel. As much as I would love to attend Gunsite in AZ, it's just not feasible. So any classes in the Chambersburg/Carlisle, even a bit further, would be ideal.

    Also, I googled Lethal Weapons Training and came across the Act 235 training administered by the State Police. Is this training open to civilians? I think my closest location would be HACC in Harrisburg, which is a bit far but doable. Any one have experience with this training?

    I appreciate any feedback.

    Happy shooting
    I live in Carlisle, and have been looking for something in the area, too. I've come across West Shore Sportsmens as the closest place with regular, advertised training.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PGH, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    253712

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Markg View Post
    I live in Carlisle, and have been looking for something in the area, too. I've come across West Shore Sportsmens as the closest place with regular, advertised training.
    who is the instructor there, and what do they teach ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    10,724
    Rep Power
    18675212

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    who is the instructor there, and what do they teach ?
    http://www.teddytactical.com/

    It is a team approach. They meet once a month, have a lecture in the morning, then have live fire drills and airsoft FOF training to reinforce the day's topic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    (Cumberland County)
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Handgun Training - South Central PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    who is the instructor there, and what do they teach ?
    West Shore's website is www.wssa.org I believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. looking for gun auctions in south central pa
    By justashooter in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
  3. NFA in Central PA (North or South)
    By DSL2003 in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
  4. RAIN IN SOUTH CENTRAL
    By Pa.Bill in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 5th, 2008, 10:29 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops