Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Issues with a S.A. 1911 Loaded

So I bought my first 1911. I always wanted one and finally sucked it up and bought a springfield armory parkerized loaded model. I have had it to the range twice now and here are the issues I'm having. I have put about 200 rounds down it so far and I've had about a half dozen failures to extract, and they are always on the last round. I'll try my best to explain the casing position. Imagine the casing coming straight back from the chamber and than the primer end drops down against the magazine causing the casing to be jammed in there on an angle. At this point I cant release the magazine to remove the casing so I have to pry the casing out. I am also having a problem with the front sight. The spring pin that holds the sight in keeps working its way up. I pushed it down a few times until it actually came out far enough where the front sight fell out of the dovetail onto the ground. Has anyone else had these problems with this particular gun, and if so how did you correct them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Issues with a S.A. 1911 Loaded

I've had front sight pins walk on a few different makes of pistols. I normally put some red loctite or superglue on the pin and re-install. I normally only do this if I'm happy with the original sight though, since it makes future removal a pain. The other issue could be the extractor, magazine, or a bit of both? I've had 1911's do all sorts of weird things with one brand of magazine and not others. I'd say try Wilson 47D mags or have someone check extractor tension if the mag doesn't resolve the issue. Or...contact Springfield and have them fix the weapon up, they do have a very nice warranty.

(Lawrence County)

Sounds like a type of smokestack failure.

Try gripping the gun EXTRA tight and see if this fixes it. Also....make sure the gun is well lubed. And....how far is this gun throwing the empty casings.....

Lycanneedsmoreinfothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
    I've had front sight pins walk on a few different makes of pistols. I normally put some red loctite or superglue on the pin and re-install. I normally only do this if I'm happy with the original sight though, since it makes future removal a pain. The other issue could be the extractor, magazine, or a bit of both? I've had 1911's do all sorts of weird things with one brand of magazine and not others. I'd say try Wilson 47D mags or have someone check extractor tension if the mag doesn't resolve the issue. Or...contact Springfield and have them fix the weapon up, they do have a very nice warranty.
    My plan for the front sight was to loctite it in. Just sucks that a brand new gun would have an issue like this. I was leaning towards the magazine due to the fact its always the last round that jams. Although I did have one failure to feed half way through a mag in which the cartridge would only load about 7/8's of the way into the chamber. I pulled it out and loaded it in the mag and than it cycled fine.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Sounds like a type of smokestack failure.

Try gripping the gun EXTRA tight and see if this fixes it. Also....make sure the gun is well lubed. And....how far is this gun throwing the empty casings.....

Lycanneedsmoreinfothrope
    The brass is thrown 8-10 foot out in an arc starting perpendicular and going towards the rear. It throws it this way very consistently.

(Philadelphia County)

I believe that the issues you describe would be the Mag,
    Try other mags.
    As far as the locktite, Get the stuff that when you heat you'll be able to remove the pin,, It is the weaker stuff and will work just fine for you.
    Peter

Simple checks
    Check the extractor by removing the slide from the frame. Slide an empty shell casing up from the bottom and onto the breechface. You should be able to let go and the extractor should hold it loosely. Too tight can cause failure to feed, too loose will cause failure to extract.
    Is the "Ejector" still there? And is it tight? The ejector tip on a .45 is pretty short but it has to be there. And it can't move.
    After that.... assuming you prove it's not the magazines. You need somebody to look at it for you.