Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default AK47 suggestions?

I am looking into purchasing my first AK, but to be honest I don't know a whole lot about them. Could you wise folk here at PAFOA possibly give me some pointers/tips/suggestions? any info is appreciated. thanks!
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AK47 suggestions?

For your first AK, I would go with a WASR 10. It's cheap, and although it's rough looking, they go bang. Stay away from any that may have a canted gas tube or canted sights.

(York County)

There are so many different variants of the AK, that the question which one should I buy will never end. It has been brought up here tons of times. It depends on many things. How much are you looking to spend? If it is something you just want I would suggest looking into the WASR10. They are readily available, fairly cheap and go bang every time. I own an Egyptian Maadi AK and I love it, but I haven't seen many around. Whatever fits your price range, and you can find is what you are going to end up with. Keep an eye on your local paper, and there are many online retailers that sell them. Call some local fun shops and ask around. If you live near a Dunham's they always have some in stock. Either way, enjoy and good luck.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Westmoreland County)

You can usually find one for sale in the classified section of the forum.

(Lancaster County)

Talking Re: AK47 suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Triegle View Post
    I am looking into purchasing my first AK, but to be honest I don't know a whole lot about them. Could you wise folk here at PAFOA possibly give me some pointers/tips/suggestions? any info is appreciated. thanks!
    I bought my first AK when I was 18... I decided to start with the best... Arsenal SAS M-7!

(Lebanon County)

Nic & greenblood: They have a WASR at the dumhams in Lebanon i was looking at the other day... it felt a little chinsey. but its something to start with & get to know how they work, right? thanks for the info.

meh: i saw your sale in the Buy/sell/trade section, and i would LOVE to own one of those... but child support told me im not aloud! lol
    si vis pacem, para bellum

(Berks County)

I have to disagree with a WASR. Cheap, yes. Go bang, yes. But, an AK noob isn't as apt to know where to look for the potential problems. If you want a solid, problem-less build, grab a Yugo. It will cost a little more, but you'll have a much higher quality rifle than you would with a WASR.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: AK47 suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Triegle View Post
    Nic & greenblood: They have a WASR at the dumhams in Lebanon i was looking at the other day... it felt a little chinsey. but its something to start with & get to know how they work, right? thanks for the info.

meh: i saw your sale in the Buy/sell/trade section, and i would LOVE to own one of those... but child support told me im not aloud! lol
    If you can't afford a milled Arsenal, try to buy a Chinese, Russian, or Bulgarian stamped rifle... If you look around you can find a good deal.

If you want to order an AK online, try here...

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx

Let them know if you are a member of AR15.com, they give discounts.

(Lackawanna County)

does anybody have experience with atlantic firearms?they make a combo kit with bayonet,sling,oil,survival kit,and two mags.but they still have plenty others to choose from like the all red russian which im really starting to like. feedback would be much appreciated ty

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/default.aspx

(Allegheny County)

I feel that you should spend the extra money and get a Yugo. Classic Arms has them for I believe $499. You really can't beat them. They were built very well and used RPK trunnions with a thicker barrel. This gives them a lot more strength and are a lot more sturdier.

There is nothing wrong with WASRs at all. If that's what you want then go for it but for quality/price ratio you really can't beat the Yugos.

Other fine AKs:

Chinese
    Egyptian (except for the MISR 10s)
    Arsenal which are bulgarian
    Saigas which are Russian.

Atlantic is a great company. Their website isn't always up to date. Make sure you call and find out if they actually have the product listed on their site before you order though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast