Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: crossbow help

(Bucks County)

Default crossbow help

Hey all,
    well, in light of rising ammo costs, im looking to get into archery. Specificly crossbows. I tried one the other day and fell in love.
    Since i know NOTHING about x-bows, Im looking for a good quality at a reasonable price. So most likely it will be some sort of used name-brand model with little wear.

Im a guy of the stronger type so im very confident i can handle 170lbs+ .
    However i notice the price does shoot up significantly above 150lbs pull.
    My price range is from 150-300.
    My questions are these....

what are a few specific brands that would be recomended??....after doing some google, i keep running into good things about Barnett and Horton Bows.

What is a good Feet Per Second? 260FPS+?

Im looking something thats fast, acurate and fun. For a full sized adult, is 150lbs pull good, or should i be looking at 170lbs+?

I will be using this crossbow alot on the archery course at my range, are X-bows meant for this type of repeated use?

Thanks for all the help.

Drakin

(Franklin County)

Default Re: crossbow help

you should up a little on the use of cross bows during hunting season first.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...56908&pp=12&n=
    In God We Trust............................

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    you should up a little on the use of cross bows during hunting season first.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...56908&pp=12&n=
    oh, im sorry please dont get confused, ....MAYBE one day i could make a hunting trip to someplace that alows x-bows , but i am well aware of PA state laws regarding them.

Im not looking for a x-bow to get into hunting. Although i would like one that is up to "hunting-grade"

Im looking for a crossbow because my range has a archery range, as well as a archery trail.

Crossbows bolts are also retrievable. as Ammo it not.
    Archery is also very fun and relaxing.
    Drakin
    Last edited by DrakinClaw; August 15th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.

(Delaware County)

I shoot a Tenpoint Titan TL-4 and hunt with it in special regs areas. It has been nothing but awesome for me in accuracy and power,but it costs about 500-600 bucks. I think the horton is a decent entry level crossbow that would suit your needs. Try cabelas they have packages that start you with everything you will need. Bolt speed of 260fps is fine for target shooting. The main thing to remember is do not dry fire a crossbow!!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    I shoot a Tenpoint Titan TL-4 and hunt with it in special regs areas. It has been nothing but awesome for me in accuracy and power,but it costs about 500-600 bucks. I think the horton is a decent entry level crossbow that would suit your needs. Try cabelas they have packages that start you with everything you will need. Bolt speed of 260fps is fine for target shooting. The main thing to remember is do not dry fire a crossbow!!
    thats cool 260fps is fine for targets, would it be enough if i ever decided to bag a dear with it? just curious?
    Drakin

(Delaware County)

My crossbow is 280fps and I kill deer regularly with it! 260fps should be no problem. Good luck with your purchase. BTW cabelas has a Titan TL-7 crossbow for 499.00 It's more than you buget but your getting into a great crossbow.

(Bucks County)

yeah i hear ya, justa touch over my budget though

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    thats cool 260fps is fine for targets, would it be enough if i ever decided to bag a dear with it? just curious?
    Drakin
    shouldn't be a problem, depending how close you get, my bow runs around there, but it sure is quiet.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Lancaster County)

Well for starters what range are you looking at shooting it from? If it is going to be over 20 yards, the faster, the better. As far as bolts go(arrows for x bows) you should get some nice carbon ones for target shooting. They are more accurate than aluminum and fly about 15FPS+/- faster. If you are eventually going to hunt with it, spend the money now and get a good one so you dont have to upgrade the hell out of it in the future to shoot a deer or soething else with it.

Just my opinion...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by SharpShooter88 View Post
    Well for starters what range are you looking at shooting it from? If it is going to be over 20 yards, the faster, the better. As far as bolts go(arrows for x bows) you should get some nice carbon ones for target shooting. They are more accurate than aluminum and fly about 15FPS+/- faster. If you are eventually going to hunt with it, spend the money now and get a good one so you dont have to upgrade the hell out of it in the future to shoot a deer or soething else with it.

Just my opinion...
    I agree on this one also, it may be out of budget but in the long run it won't need upgrades like a cheaper crossbow will.Trust me I'm by no means wealthy but
    I am an avid hunter and I try to get the best equipment I can afford even if it means saving up another week or two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast