Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: canted sights

(Lancaster County)

Default canted sights

how do I fix my wasr-10s canted front sight.
    Gott mit uns

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: canted sights

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    How bad is it?

Can you just move the post over to one side and have it shoot accurately enough? If so, just do that and not worry about it.

If that can't be done you have two options:

1. Try contacting Century and have them fix it
    2. Press out the pins in the FSB, move the FSB to correct location, re-drill the gas hole, pin the FSB back on. (not exact procedures, but it will give you an idea)
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Bucks County)

Pictures always help.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Can you get it to zero with the FSB like that? If so, why not leave it alone.

(York County)

If it is serious enough, you can pop the pins out and readjust: http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

As mojo mentioned, if it's only off by a bit, you can simply adjust the post to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    How bad is it?

Can you just move the post over to one side and have it shoot accurately enough? If so, just do that and not worry about it.

If that can't be done you have two options:

1. Try contacting Century and have them fix it
    2. Press out the pins in the FSB, move the FSB to correct location, re-drill the gas hole, pin the FSB back on. (not exact procedures, but it will give you an idea)
    The bolded section isn't needed for a FSB adjustment. If he also needs to adjust the gas block and it's off by enough to offset the hole, that's a different issue. Other than looks, gas block canting typically isn't a problem unless the rifle isn't cycling properly.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by weaselchew View Post
    If it is serious enough, you can pop the pins out and readjust: http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

As mojo mentioned, if it's only off by a bit, you can simply adjust the post to compensate.

The bolded section isn't needed for a FSB adjustment. If he also needs to adjust the gas block and it's off by enough to offset the hole, that's a different issue. Other than looks, gas block canting typically isn't a problem unless the rifle isn't cycling properly.
    im pretty sure its the front sight housing that needs to be adjusted, the gas block is lined up with the reciever.Yeah I noticed those two pins....are they like welded or something because they wont come out...
    Gott mit uns

(York County)

im pretty sure its the front sight housing that needs to be adjusted, the gas block is lined up with the reciever.Yeah I noticed those two pins....are they like welded or something because they wont come out...
    They are going to be in very tight, and I believe they are normally taper pins, so you'd want to remove them in a specific direction. I think that site says which direction they should go in.

How far off is it canted? Is it just a visible annoyance or will the sights not adjust far enough to compensate for the cant?

(Lancaster County)

I've fixed canted sights before on AK's and SKS. I've also installed FSB on virgin barrels. I typically tell someone that has one in this condiditon (canted) if your front sight pin is maxed out in one direction .. then it obviously becomes necessary to fix the FSB. Otherwise and if you can live with the front sight pin being off center then it may be better left alone.

My procedure for canted sight fix:
    Once the FSB pins are removed the FSB is moved in the direction it needs to go. New holes are drilled thru in a bigger size then what the original pins used. New pins which may have to be made on the lathe are then installed.
    One should have an understanding and availability of non-common size drill bits to determine the correct hole size needed.

As a side note and with all due respect: it usually becomes much more difficult for somone with the ability and has done it many times to remove pressed in pins when someone else with lesser backround has tried it and failed. Nothing gets quite so ugly then to have someone hand you a project of removing a pressed in pin that is all bitched up. (smile)

HTH
    Last edited by Fragger; January 16th, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by weaselchew View Post
    Thanks for correcting my post. I've had Krinks on my mind for a while now and I just kept picturing their GB/FSB combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF