Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Progressive press for one caliber?

I need to decide on a progressive press. It will be used only to load .40 S&W so speed/cost of caliber conversions means nothing to me.

Would you guys go with a Dillon 550, Dillon 650, or Hornady LNL AP? Hell, is the Dillon 1050 worth the huge price tag?

I currently load on a Lee classic turret press. I'll keep loading 9mm, .45ACP and .223 on that. But I'm going to need to be able to crank out large quantities of .40 S&W quickly.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Progressive press for one caliber?

I use a 1050 for 40. I load about 25K a year now, the press can crank out 1k/hour at a moderate pace alot more if you are hustling. I rather be shooting than reloading. A 1050 is the perfect press if you are loading a small number of calibers in high volume. A 650 is a better choice if you are going to be loading a wide range of calibers. And yes there is an increditible difference between a 1050 and a 650.

You may get advice for lower priced press here. If you are going to be serious about shooting USPSA, a Dillon will be your most valued investment.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Northampton County)

IMHO, you would be better off with the Square Deal B from Dillon. It uses it's own dies, so if you are intent on not changing calibers then it would work fine.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Look at the Lee Pro 1000..........

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    IMHO, you would be better off with the Square Deal B from Dillon. It uses it's own dies, so if you are intent on not changing calibers then it would work fine.
    No go. I'm going to use a EGW U-die resizing die and the square deal uses proprietary dies.

(Allegheny County)

I'd go for the dillon 650, I have one and can easily load 600+ rnds an hour.

(Pike County)

Another vote for the 650. I use Dillon equipment and can only say good things about them. Their customer service is great but I haven't needed to use it very often.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I need to decide on a progressive press. It will be used only to load .40 S&W so speed/cost of caliber conversions means nothing to me.

Would you guys go with a Dillon 550, Dillon 650, or Hornady LNL AP? Hell, is the Dillon 1050 worth the huge price tag?

I currently load on a Lee classic turret press. I'll keep loading 9mm, .45ACP and .223 on that. But I'm going to need to be able to crank out large quantities of .40 S&W quickly.
    Dear BerksCountyDave,
    If you want maximum high volume,
    If you will never change out for another caliber,
    If money is not really an issue,
    If you want a choice that you will NEVER look back on and regret,
    If you want it to last you nearly forever,

Then buy the 1050 and you will smile, never be without ammo, and be smug about it forever.

If you are going to shoot that much 40 cal, then the Dillon will end up paying for itself in saved time and effort. That would mean it's no longer expensive either.

Smitty56

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post

I vote Dillon 650. I do not have any experience with any of the other progressive presses, but I do own the 650. I did a lot of research before I decided on a Dillon. The customer service and warranty on the Dillon is top-notch. The machine is work of art. It is smooth and cranks out a serious amount of ammo.

I would go with the 650 over the 1050 for two reasons. The 1050 is very expensive (though if you get the case feeder and other accessories, the price gap is not quite as wide) and the 1050 has a two year 'no BS' warranty, whereas the 650 (and all other models) comes with a lifetime 'no BS' warranty. I would choose the 650 over the 550, again, for two reasons. The 550 does not have automatic indexing (which is a must in my book if I'm gonna drop the cash for a progressive) and does not have a fifth station for a powder level check (which I find comforting, even though I visually check also).

Here's a great article comparing the Lee Loadmaster, Dillon 650, and The Hornady LNL AP: Dillon vs Lee vs Hornady

If you get the 650, get the casefeeder and roller handle at a minimum. You won't regret it.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Here's a great article comparing the Lee Loadmaster, Dillon 650, and The Hornady LNL AP: Dillon vs Lee vs Hornady
    Max, you must be one busy guy to find stuff like that. It is a really good article, and from a nearly objective viewpoint. A GOOD read, and should be so for everyone who owns or contemplates owning a progressive.

Thanks,

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast