Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What to do to sell a very old shotgun?

We have an inherited old Knickerbocker 12 gauge shotgun by American Gun Co.which we want to sell. We dont know this gun except for what i found online. It has Damaskus barrels so isn't not safe for shooting anymore.
    My question is: Its probably made before 1930 - so if i sell privately, do we need to take it to a gun store? We have no paperwork on it. We have never sold a gun before and only know how to buy them! I do not want to break any laws.
    Any suggestions are welcomed!
    (i hope this is the right place to ask this question)

(Somerset County)

Default Re: What to do to sell a very old shotgun?

im pretty sure you dont need to take it to a gun store, just do a face to face with a person over the age of 18. You bring the gun and they bring the cash and if its a deal then you switch the gun for cash and thats it! Only pistols have to be transfered at a shop. There's a lot of info about this on the site.

(Lancaster County)

Go to the classified section on here under firearms. On top there is the info. you need to make a sale legally as well as a bill of sale you can print up and use.

(Westmoreland County)

You may want to have the buyer sign a waiver that the gun should not be used with modern ammo...just to acknowledge that you warned them of the possible danger.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Allegheny County)

Wow that was fast ! Thanks - i am learning!! I am not too computer savy as i havent a clue how to send a private message to someone if i wanted to but i will check this site for the additional info on selling/bill of sale etc.. I also like the waiver idea as i would not want someone to shoot it, hurt themselves and come after me even after I told them not to shoot it! It will be sold as a "collectors item only" not shootable as barrel not designed for todays ammo. Appreciate all the help! Hope there are collectors out there....

(York County)

By law, you don't need to go thru a FFL or fill out any paperwork However...

Personally, I'd do what I could to attempt to make sure the buyer isn't a prohibited person.
    I just bought a shotgun thru a private sale. Before the transaction he said he'd want to see my LTCF, to make sure I wasn't prohibited, I completely understood & said that would be fine. He didn't ask to see it though when we did meet for the transaction. I guess my willingness to produce it was good enough for him.
    I asked for a reciept from him & we wrote down the serial # who it was being purchasd from, purchase price & date & he signed it.
    He had no problem doing this for me. That isn't necessary by law, but I like to keep those kind of records in case it is ever stolen from me.
    Also what if it's reported stolen by a previous owner somewhere back in it's line of ownership, & then it's stolen in a burgulary from your house & pops up on the hot sheet when you also report it stolen or when it's recovered later... Are you on the hook for recieving stolen property if you can't show that you bought it in a seemingly legitimate transaction?

In the end we both were very comfortable with the transaction.

Some will argue & say I'm stepping on people's rights by askig for more than the law requires. I say if anyone feels that way then they just don't ever have to sell me a gun or buy one from me if I'd ever decide to part with any.

ETA Just saw the bill of sale in the classifieds... That's pretty much what we did without the disclaimer about it not being stolen. I like that one & will have to print it out for any future purchases! Thanks for the heads up OvadekP
    Last edited by 87th PVI; January 14th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    You may want to have the buyer sign a waiver that the gun should not be used with modern ammo...just to acknowledge that you warned them of the possible danger.
    Curious question: Would a simple bill of sale signed by both parties serve as a waiver? Since the receiving party would technically be accepting all responsibility, correct?
    III%

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Curious question: Would a simple bill of sale signed by both parties serve as a waiver? Since the receiving party would technically be accepting all responsibility, correct?
    I imagine that it would be, but in this day and age, It pays to cover your ass! LOL

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I imagine that it would be, but in this day and age, It pays to cover your ass! LOL
    Very true. I guess you could just write a line in the bill somewhere about assuming all responsibility anyway... that wouldn't be hard at all. That way you cover the bos plus the waiver all in one...
    III%

(Westmoreland County)

The reason I mentioned a waiver is because Johnson's Gun Depot made me sign one when I bought my 1910 Rival no. 3 double barrel wall hanger. It will take modern 12ga shells, but would probably explode due to the higher pressures of modern gun powder. So I signed it and was on my way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast