Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Concealed interstate travel

Hey guys/gals, I have a couple questions I'm hoping you can help me out with.

I'm planning on making a trip from PA to Tennessee in the spring and I plan on carrying concealed. I will be on a motorcycle, and traveling through the following states: Maryland (bad!...lol), West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. According to the reciprocity agreements I have read, I should be able to carry in all the above states with my PA LTCF except for MD. Correct?
    Since I'll be on a motorcycle, I'm thinking I will stow the handgun locked under the seat of my bike with the ammo/mags separated in my bookbag on my back while in the .
    I'm also planning on having a copy of the reservations to the campground I'm staying at in TN.

Anything you guys can add? Do you think I'll be ok like this? Do you think I'm doing it wrong?

Also, is there any pertinent info about reciprocity in these particular states that I should know? I just wanna be legal, you know...
    ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Concealed interstate travel

Sounds like you have a solid plan. I would also go to http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html and print the carry laws for every state you will be going through. You can then study and know the laws for the state you are in.

I recently drove to Tn for a school, I printed and highlighted applicable info for easy referencing. I think one of the most important things to note is the "duty to inform" info for each state. While your Pa LTCF will allow you to carry, you must follow the rules of the state you are in.

Do your homework, be prepared and be safe.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Also print out and carry the applicable portions of FOPA. Adhere to them TO THE LETTER when passing through MD.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Montgomery County)

Looks like someone is heading to the Dragon.

(Luzerne County)

Sounds good to me. If you travel my route, you should only be in MD a short time.

In Tennessee,some city and local governments have used the option to opt out of a recent law allowing permit holders to carry in parks. The prohibited parks are not required by current law to be posted as a prohibited area.It is an individuals responsibility to know which local governments have opted out and which have not. Carrying into a prohibited park may result in an arrest. Also,some parks may be posted as a prohibited area but are not. The law does not require that existing signs be changed to reflect the change in the law. You may want to check out the tennessee gun owners forum and click on the area pertaining to legal and political and read some of the answers to the FAQ's

(Philadelphia County)

I traveled from Philly to TN a couple of years back and managed to avoid MD completely by going west then hit WV. Unless you have some places to go in the other states, going via WV and KY to TN is a beautiful drive without the need to worry about unloading and locking etc...

Al

(Luzerne County)

If you are taking 81 south, you will only be in MD for a few minutes...I don't think it's more then a 20 mile stretch, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by jed7mm View Post
    If you are taking 81 south, you will only be in MD for a few minutes...I don't think it's more then a 20 mile stretch, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you
    Worry about what?

If you are wondering about tn duty to inform, I am pretty sure it is only if asked by LEO,

I did run my mouth about the parks and posting on which I pretty much said if its not posted I dont worry, but dont do that, because it is not right. like said before, the opted out parks need not update the signage. and they can be decieving,as far as not having signage but actually being illegal. might make for a good case to get that changed though.

EDIT: did my own fact check...". The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer." in Tn.

if you travel to NC I believe it is a must inform state.
    Last edited by beefcakeb0; January 14th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast