Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default AR-15 parts (7.62x39mm)

I have a few questions (and might have more as the thread progresses). I'm currently pricing and speccing out parts to build my first AR-15. I discovered I can get it in the standard 5.56/.223 caliber as well as 7.62x39mm. I already own an SKS and have reloading equipment for 7.62 so this is good news for me.

I'd like to ultimately build an upper for both. It is my assumption (based upon my research) that I can use the same lower for both calibers. Is that correct?

Also, when speccing out individual parts for the upper I see that I can buy a bolt assembly for different calibers. That leads to the second question. What do I need to do to convert from one caliber to another?

If I build it in 5.56, what do I need to change to convert it to 7.62? Do I just need a new barrel and bolt assembly? Or is the upper receiver itself different?

For right now I'd like to buy as few parts as possible that let me fire both 5.56 and 7.62. If I have to buy a completely new upper for 7.62 that's fine, but I'd like to know that ahead of time.

Thanks!

Default Re: AR-15 parts (7.62x39mm)

I'm just speculating, but I would think that the larger diameter of the 7.62X39 cartridge would require a complete upper. Cartridge length is roughly the same, so the lowers might be interchangeable.

I'm sure someone's done this & will be along shortly.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I'm just speculating, but I would think that the larger diameter of the 7.62X39 cartridge would require a complete upper.
    That's my speculation as well. My problem is that I haven't found anywhere that sells an upper specifically for 7.62x39. I've seen lots of upper assemblies for that caliber, so that's why I thought maybe it was just the bolt assembly that was different.

Or my Google-fu is weak and there really are specific uppers and I can't find them. That's a distinct possibility

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    That's my speculation as well. My problem is that I haven't found anywhere that sells an upper specifically for 7.62x39. I've seen lots of upper assemblies for that caliber, so that's why I thought maybe it was just the bolt assembly that was different.

Or my Google-fu is weak and there really are specific uppers and I can't find them. That's a distinct possibility
    There're a few companies that make complete 7.62 X 39 rifles so finding just an upper should be possible. Check out Stag, Armalite and maybe some of the other shops like the ones I can't freakin' think of right now. ARRGGHH!!!

There's a shop in Dallas Tx that sells a ton of AR uppers and lower as well as complete guns, advertise on several boards and in several magazines........someone will be along to name them sooner or later.

(Allegheny County)

Check out Model 1 Sales for the 7.62x39 Upper. Some bolt groups have a problem igniting the hard Russian primers. You can play with firing pin protrusion, heavier hammer springs, etc., but I found the easiest solution was to order the "Enhanced" 7.62x39 Bolt from MGI. I've run one in my Model 1 Upper for nearly two years now with no failure to fire with any type of steel cased ammo.

P.S. Brown Bear HP seems to be the most accurate out of my upper.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

(Centre County)

The only reason I'd really want an upper for 7.62 is that I reload that already and have plenty of bullets/cases/primers on hand. So for now, anyway, the steel cases and Russian primers wouldn't be a problem.

So I do have to buy an upper specifically for the caliber though? Thanks! At least now I know.

If I ever decide to shoot surplus ammo I'll look into that bolt too.

(Armstrong County)

If i am reading your post right, it sound like you want to be able to change your barrel out from a 223/5.56 to a 7.62x39 and then back?

It will be WWWAAAAYYY easier on you and your upper to just get a complete upper(w/BCG, charging handle...ect)

as posted above, check Model 1 Sales and Del-ton
    www.model1sales.com
    www.del-ton.com

(Allegheny County)

As others have said ... You would need basically a separate complete upper for 7.62x39. Not really a big deal as all you would need to do is to pop two pins out to switch uppers.

The only issues that I've heard about 7.62x39 ARs is that the mags are not reliable. Not sure if they fixed this or not. Maybe 1832 might be able to shed some light on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Armstrong County)

Yeah the only mags i could find were the C-Product mags. And those seem the have a pretty poor (read as "shitty") performance rep.
    I was dead set on building one of these last year, but i have not looked into the platform in awhile. Things may have improved.

(Centre County)

Thanks everyone.

Follow-up question relating to .223/5.56. I know that there are different pressures so I can fire a .223 round in a 5.56 gun, but not the other way around. Which parts are specific to caliber and which aren't?

Is it just the BCG and barrel that I need to be concerned with?

The reason I ask is Del-Ton has the following assemblies:
    AR-15 bolt and carrier assembly ($110)
    M-16 bolt and carrier assembly ($115)

They look identical to me. I'm assuming the M-16 one is 5.56 so I could use .223 or 5.56 and the AR-15 one is .223 only, but I could be wrong. I know the chambering of the barrel is important, but I don't know if there are differences in the bolt and carrier assembly in the same manner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast