Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Hunting

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting

I'm thinking of trying coyote hunting this year as well. God knows I have a pile of them behind my house here in Beaver County. I go out to have a smoke at the back door of my house and you can hear them howling back and forth at each other, and you can also tell when they have a kill and are feeding, they get that high pitched whine between one another as they go through thier pecking order. I am also convinced that these are the hybrids. I have a 110 pound half coonhound, half lab that has a big foot on her, and these tracks are almost as big as hers, so that tells me they are decent sized as well. That and the fact that they are pack hunting. A non hybrid coyote is more of a solitary hunter and rarely pack hunts, and the ones I have behind my house are the opposite.

As with the drunk hunters on certain seasons, that was one of the main reasons I quit deer hunting for a while. I couldn't stand hunting cause it was like I had to have eyes in the back of my head cause those lot just didn't care at all. Lets just say I removed myself from a potentially dangerous situation. I know it wasn'r everybody, just seemed the drunks and the crazy folk gravitated to my area LOL.

Erin
    I think I am therefor I am, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
    I'm thinking of trying coyote hunting this year as well. God knows I have a pile of them behind my house here in Beaver County. I go out to have a smoke at the back door of my house and you can hear them howling back and forth at each other, and you can also tell when they have a kill and are feeding, they get that high pitched whine between one another as they go through thier pecking order. I am also convinced that these are the hybrids. I have a 110 pound half coonhound, half lab that has a big foot on her, and these tracks are almost as big as hers, so that tells me they are decent sized as well. That and the fact that they are pack hunting. A non hybrid coyote is more of a solitary hunter and rarely pack hunts, and the ones I have behind my house are the opposite.

As with the drunk hunters on certain seasons, that was one of the main reasons I quit deer hunting for a while. I couldn't stand hunting cause it was like I had to have eyes in the back of my head cause those lot just didn't care at all. Lets just say I removed myself from a potentially dangerous situation. I know it wasn'r everybody, just seemed the drunks and the crazy folk gravitated to my area LOL.

Erin
    I think it's quite possible that you have hybrids, especially since you said the prints are as large as your large dog. Depending on what you saw the tracks in, keep in mind that some media makes prints look larger.

You're quite wrong about coyotes only being solitary hunters. They have no problem running in family units, and some pups stick around for quite a while. Part of it also depends on what they're hunting. It's pretty common for coyotes to gang up on dogs, where several will circle a dog up and kill it. They always call out kills to other animals, sometimes so they can share, or sometimes to let others know where the prey is at. All of it just depends, but coyotes don't always run around as solitary hunters like some people think. Maybe they are hybridized coyotes, but I'm just saying that the fact that they hunt as a "pack" doesn't point to them being hybridized. Have you seen any? Sorry if I come across a bit harsh, but I just wanted some others who might be watching the thread to know that "pack hunting" doesn't just go with wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben07 View Post
    I went for the first time last fri night....it was supposed to be the fullest moon out of the year or something but there ended up being an overcast to cover the moon.....sat night was perfect but didnt go....super bright out and snow on the ground......talk about insulation (notexpensive)....i got the right amount of layers down according to the degrees and windchill.lol....none of it being really insulated at all.....but never being cold....went down to cross creek where we seen some spotting for deer early season. Seen a bunch of tracks (big) when we went in....never been there so didnt know how to hunt it, kinda went off a fling. Gonna go here sometime again soon and hava planned setep....theres a few out that way
    I just wanted to point out that you do NOT want to hunt coyotes with a full moon. Lots of people think, oh they'll be out and howling and things of that nature. Well they may be out hunting, but you're not going to have much luck. In a full moon, especially with reflection off of the snow, they can see you WAY before you can see them. They see your outline and movements very easily with that much light. I always have the most luck when it's VERY dark and overcast out. Then again, in Texas, I can hunt them with a spotlight; so I don't need moonlight to see coyotes. I'm not quite sure what your strategy is (maybe none this time, since it was on a fling), but hunting them with bright moonlight doesn't usually work all that well.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I just wanted to point out that you do NOT want to hunt coyotes with a full moon. Lots of people think, oh they'll be out and howling and things of that nature. Well they may be out hunting, but you're not going to have much luck. In a full moon, especially with reflection off of the snow, they can see you WAY before you can see them. They see your outline and movements very easily with that much light. I always have the most luck when it's VERY dark and overcast out. Then again, in Texas, I can hunt them with a spotlight; so I don't need moonlight to see coyotes. I'm not quite sure what your strategy is (maybe none this time, since it was on a fling), but hunting them with bright moonlight doesn't usually work all that well.
    Plus, unless your carrying silver bullets with you, you dont want to risk running into the wolf man...
    Semper Fi

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I think it's quite possible that you have hybrids, especially since you said the prints are as large as your large dog. Depending on what you saw the tracks in, keep in mind that some media makes prints look larger.

You're quite wrong about coyotes only being solitary hunters. They have no problem running in family units, and some pups stick around for quite a while. Part of it also depends on what they're hunting. It's pretty common for coyotes to gang up on dogs, where several will circle a dog up and kill it. They always call out kills to other animals, sometimes so they can share, or sometimes to let others know where the prey is at. All of it just depends, but coyotes don't always run around as solitary hunters like some people think. Maybe they are hybridized coyotes, but I'm just saying that the fact that they hunt as a "pack" doesn't point to them being hybridized. Have you seen any? Sorry if I come across a bit harsh, but I just wanted some others who might be watching the thread to know that "pack hunting" doesn't just go with wolves.
    I very well could be wrong on the pack thing, not the first time I have been wrong though, and not the last, thanks the the clairification on it. These guys are big though. Some of the animals they were targeting though makes me think they were hybrids too. Sheep, goats and calves are one thing, but they started going after full sized cows in Beaver county. So much that there was a bounty put on them for a while. If they are going after cows, something a regular cotote would really think twice about, then they have to be pretty darn big.

(Somerset County)

Results are posted from the Mosquito Creek coyote hunt.

3695 hunters registered, top dog weighed 50.95 lb and was worth $7390

143 coyotes killed. Complete info here:

http://www.mosquitocreeksportsmen.com/

Dale

(Monroe County)

Hey TopDog,

Have you hunted any of the Delaware State Forest, Bushkill Falls Road between Rt. 402 and Tamiment?

(Beaver County)

Skullcrusher walk back to the kill site bet any money its your neighbours dogs, i have had trouble for years and that's the case. Pelts to prove it. I have shot coyote in beaver since 83 and only one time have the dogs been together, a Shepard and yote. I have never seen a cross or coydog it does not happen often. Coyotes are more for smaller game sheep on down and an occasional calf. Pets kill more animals in beaver than you can believe our last spree was one dead potbelly pig 1 goat a big one and a neighbours calf. I shot the dog as it tried to jump on my quarter horse. 2am across the pasture with a .270 when the police arrived you would have thought charlie manson and his gang were here partying, blood every where. Guess what Labrador from the neighbours with pups at home, it was there 5 year olds dog, going out on night killing spree. I dont put up with killer dogs. There other dogs were put down as well i did not press charges. Good luck if you need help i am just down the ditch from you. Stay safe Mtn Jack
    In a world of compromise some men dont.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Jack View Post
    Skullcrusher walk back to the kill site bet any money its your neighbours dogs, i have had trouble for years and that's the case. Pelts to prove it. I have shot coyote in beaver since 83 and only one time have the dogs been together, a Shepard and yote. I have never seen a cross or coydog it does not happen often. Coyotes are more for smaller game sheep on down and an occasional calf. Pets kill more animals in beaver than you can believe our last spree was one dead potbelly pig 1 goat a big one and a neighbours calf. I shot the dog as it tried to jump on my quarter horse. 2am across the pasture with a .270 when the police arrived you would have thought charlie manson and his gang were here partying, blood every where. Guess what Labrador from the neighbours with pups at home, it was there 5 year olds dog, going out on night killing spree. I dont put up with killer dogs. There other dogs were put down as well i did not press charges. Good luck if you need help i am just down the ditch from you. Stay safe Mtn Jack
    I have been to some of the kill sites right around my own home, and the biggest thing that I have found killed was the reminants of a turkey. I mean there was nothing left but bloody feathers. You could be right, it very well could be a dog. I have talked to a few of the other neighbors around here and they are like me, they have all heard them howling and yapping back and forth with each other. The biggest problem is, just in this small area, we haven't seen one. We are going off of the track, scat and audible signs from them, but he haven't seen one yet. I am thinking of getting some game camera to put on my property in a few key areas where they seem to run the most. Hopefully this will put some of the questions to bed. The other thing I think is strange, will all the commotion we have heard in the woods around here, you think following them would be easy. Since the big snow, I think they holed up till things clear out a little bit since no one has heard a thing. But when there isn't any snow on the ground, these animals are like ghosts, they are in do what they need to do and out before you know what happened. I will keep ya posted Jack on what is going on here. Here in Economy Boro, things like this is hardly ever what it actually seems LOL.

Erin

(Berks County)

so is there is anybody in the berks county area that goes ? i have tried a couple times myself an i am not haveing any luck. if there is anybody that is willing to take me show me the ropes, i would be glad to pay for dinner or give a box of shells or something...................

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast