Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Hunting

Hybrid View

(Pike County)

Default Coyote Hunting

Anybody going to be hunting in this years Coyote Hunt?
    I am looking to go, but this is my first time Coyote hunting. Please share any experiences or knowledge.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting

I was supposed to go tonight with my father and one of my brothers. But, my father wanted some alone time to convince my brother to not marry his live-in girlfriend and split up.

But, Coyote hunting is pretty cool - a lot like fox.
    F*S=k

(Armstrong County)

I went Monday night and had some respond but never got close to me... Last year during fall turkey I got a nice sized one up in Elk county.

(Montgomery County)

This is also something I've been getting more and more interested in.

I'd like to tag along with someone who does it in order to learn the ropes and techniques. So, if anyone ever wants company while hunting... lol

I'm not in ya'lls area so I can't take you myself, but I've made some posts on some things to keep in mind that might help. Page 2 has the shorter of the posts, page 3 has a lot more on calling techniques. This is an old thread that I may end up updating with more advanced techniques. I always figured I'd throw in some spotlighting, advanced calling, range cards, multiple shooters, etc. Since the thread kind of went dead I never got around to it, and didn't know if there was much interest in it. Anyway, read pages 2 and 3, it'll give you some ideas and give you some links also to help get you start.

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/15...es-page-2.html

(Luzerne County)

I went last night didn't see anything until when we were walking out we found out that two had circled us without us knowing. All fresh snow, No prints when we walked in. They went right around the back of us. One even pissed on a little pine sappling. We usually have pretty good luck but yesterday wasn't our day. Maybe the wind had something to do with it.

(Armstrong County)

I have an interesting story, I was so excited, I just got new predator calls. I made up my mind that I was going to go out the next morning for fox or coyote. I woke up at 4:30 and headed out. Walking to the truck I slipped on the ice and broke my arm in 2 places. I saved the rifle though! It never touched the ground.

I didnt see you up there mudslinger. Your so lucky, that coyote was massive haha.
    Last edited by KAL101; January 16th, 2010 at 01:19 AM.

(Carbon County)

next time you see road kill(deer works great),cut off a leg and bring that with you and tie it to a branch and let it hang there and sit and wait..also cat calls work great in Pa..In the thick woods around here the best weapon is a shotgun..( I bought a 204 ruger just for coyote and sold it cause of this..in the west the ruger would be great not here)your not going to get a 100 yard shot unless your on a farm field.the thick woods is probably best..(that's were the shotgun comes in).make sure you use scent block everywhere or they will smell you from a mile away.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by suzukirider View Post
    next time you see road kill(deer works great),cut off a leg and bring that with you and tie it to a branch and let it hang there and sit and wait..also cat calls work great in Pa..In the thick woods around here the best weapon is a shotgun..( I bought a 204 ruger just for coyote and sold it cause of this..in the west the ruger would be great not here)your not going to get a 100 yard shot unless your on a farm field.the thick woods is probably best..(that's were the shotgun comes in).make sure you use scent block everywhere or they will smell you from a mile away.
    Sounds like a plan...Thanks for the info!

(Westmoreland County)

Does anybody know the PA state record on shot and trapped yotes? I cant seem to find anything on the weights. My buddy trapped a 63lb yote about 2 weeks ago, reported it to the game commision so they could take a look at it and they took it from him. They called him last week and all they told him was after the blood work they ran on it, it was part timberwolf. He wanted it because it would have made for a nice pelt but they wanted to run tests on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast