Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Hunting

Default Re: Coyote Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    AR-15 Outlaw - If you have the opportuniy to go with an experienced coyote hunter DO IT. You'll have a blast even if you don't shoot anything. If he has more success coyote hunting than he does with squirrels could you tell him to tell me his secret? Please? Ha ha.
    its not so much a secret as it is that there is a crap ton of them around here. between marsh creek, orviston and monument pa im dying to go but i wish i could use my ar

(Carbon County)

I've never had the time to go coyote hunting, but I'm thinking about it. A couple of us were doing post deer season scouting while we still had some snow on the ground about 5 days ago. Mixed in with a few deer tracks we saw a lot of dog tracks which I'm guessing are coyote. Don't really know one canine track from another, but besides being big for a fox, we figure they have to be either coyote or wild dogs just because they are running in packs.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by H22ate View Post
    Id love to go out but nobody around here wants to go "its too cold out" is all I ever hear.
    Ya people need to get over the cold put on a set of carharts. We went on some of those nights that it was below 0 with the wind chill its not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AR-15 Outlaw View Post
    im dying to go but i wish i could use my ar
    I hate not being able to use my ar its the perfect gun. I have no coyote gun other than a shotgun..

Quote Originally Posted by mdslngr594 View Post
    I hate not being able to use my ar its the perfect gun. I have no coyote gun other than a shotgun..
    i have the guns ( mossberg 500, and rem 700 .308) i just dont have the time atm. with my gf going back to school and me working minimum wage we decided we'd be better off if i quit and did the stay home daddy thing since good child care would cost more than i make. that means. im stuck at home and have to go to bed early and get up early and i have a hard time adjusting to sleeping scheduals so even if i found the time one or 2 nights on a weekend i'd be paying for it royally for the next 2 weeks trying to get my sleeping schedual back to matching my 3 yo's

another 6mo till she's done with school tho then im good to go.

(Lehigh County)

i have been hunting those suns of bitches for years. Number one everyone is hunting them they get smart and that is bad. forget the hunting in the dark i have checked the stats from mosq creek and the most people shoot them in the daytime or when they run dogs.the perfect weapon would be a good dog to chase and alot of open land away from road hunters. this state wide hunt messed it all up. if you want to get one put a few road kills out a week before and check them. 80 and 81 have plenty of game rotting on the sides of the road

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by suzukirider View Post
    I only seen alot of fox and mink in there,sure there is some ...seen alot up by jim thorpe,the state game lands by the range.around that area..pretty mangy looking tho.
    Are you referring to the Jean's Run areas?

(Lehigh County)

its actually funny every year how guys try to figure this out when the coyte hunts come up. they are in year round and you should learn their patterns year round instead of trying to make a buck off them. i hate them but theyare not like shooting a deer you need wind direction zero scent and well planned tactics all the time. not bashing deer but they are doggs with millions more particals ability to smell scent. half the guys i see hunting for them are piss drunk and use it for a get drunk holiday very sad
    Last edited by PROVANTAGE; January 21st, 2010 at 08:55 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PROVANTAGE View Post
    its actually funny every year how guys try to figure this out when the coyte hunts come up. they are in year round and you should learn their patterns year round instead of trying to make a buck off them. i hate them but theyare not like shooting a deer you need wind direction zero scent and well planned tactics all the time. not bashing deer but they are doggs with millions more particals ability to smell scent. half the guys i see hunting for them are piss drunk and use it for a get drunk holiday very sad
    This is the reason that I hunt by myself or w/ one other person and don't participate in contests.

Not trying to be a snob here (OK, maybe a little) but, to me at least, hunting for a purse just cheapens the hunt. YMMV.

And yes, to hunt this time of year, get some decent (I didn't say expensive) insulated clothing. I was out two Sunday's ago when it was 2 degrees. I had a wonderful time. Fresh snow. Fresh yote tracks. No one else around to interfere in my solitude.

Mid-summer evenings are nice, too.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Washington County)

No coyote contests for me either. The last few weeks were perfect for hunting with all the snow. I wish I got my ass in gear and actually went out but I'm lazy. I'm working 3-11 shift right now which would have been perfect for coyote hunting. I think I'm gonna go out during the next decent snow fall. I know where they're at in my area I just need to schedule a meeting. Hopefully, and with a shit load of luck, they'll show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    This is the reason that I hunt by myself or w/ one other person and don't participate in contests.

Not trying to be a snob here (OK, maybe a little) but, to me at least, hunting for a purse just cheapens the hunt. YMMV.

Hello Sandcut,

I can understand your outlook on ' contests ', but to my knowledge, these contests came about ' to save our deer, snowshoes, cottontails and turks , etc '.

... flip side of the coin ... how many Sportin' Goods Stores do you know of That Don't have a Big Buck or a Big Turk or a Big Trout contest ... it's smart biz practice.

I think the clubs that sponsor the contests look at it as if .. ' Well, if the P G C isn't going to help the deer herd, we will ' ... hence the reason for the Big Payouts ... it gets guys interested in the financial aspect and in doing so saves the stuff we eat.

... what ' ya think .. yeah/nay ?

Take Care
    " For the left, Freedom IS a Fringe Idea "

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast