Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Hunting

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting

Does anybody know the PA state record on shot and trapped yotes? I cant seem to find anything on the weights. My buddy trapped a 63lb yote about 2 weeks ago, reported it to the game commision so they could take a look at it and they took it from him. They called him last week and all they told him was after the blood work they ran on it, it was part timberwolf. He wanted it because it would have made for a nice pelt but they wanted to run tests on it.

(Monroe County)

Question Re: Coyote Hunting

How's the yote population on the Bethlehem Water Authority properties near Beltzville Lake?

(Carbon County)

I only seen alot of fox and mink in there,sure there is some ...seen alot up by jim thorpe,the state game lands by the range.around that area..pretty mangy looking tho.

(Washington County)

H22ate - Funny you say that about the coyote being part timberwolf. I read an article not too long ago about there being two strains of coyotes in PA. Pretty much the article said that if the adult coyote weighs more that 45 pounds that there is a very high probability that it has some wolf in it. 40 pounds and under is the different strain that is all coyote. If memory serves me correctly the western part of PA is almost all the wolf hybrid. From central PA east there's a mix of both strains. I'll try to find a link.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    H22ate - Funny you say that about the coyote being part timberwolf. I read an article not too long ago about there being two strains of coyotes in PA. Pretty much the article said that if the adult coyote weighs more that 45 pounds that there is a very high probability that it has some wolf in it. 40 pounds and under is the different strain that is all coyote. If memory serves me correctly the western part of PA is almost all the wolf hybrid. From central PA east there's a mix of both strains. I'll try to find a link.
    Sounds good thanks! I have yet to see one around here. You being from washington might know where im at. Ever hear of Dudas farm?, they sell corn and veggies everywhere. Well their corn fields are my back yard basically other than the property behind the house which is mine. My neighbor told me this summer he saw 7 in the valley of both properties. One he said looked to be about 70lbs (just guessing) and it was solid black. So after hearing about my buddies yote being part timberwolf I guess he wasn't kidding about a big black yote..... Im guessing it had a little more wolf in it. I hear the things howling and yapping at night, but they wont let me see them lol..... probably a good thing for them to do

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaron3 View Post
    This sounds like what you're referring to or at least based off similar information.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32976657...ience-science/

The guy on the following link is doing genetic work on coyotes up in New England. He's got some decent info. BUT, he's very much NOT into hunting yotes. He's also into naming the coyotes. That's a big no-no in field research. Ruins your objectivity.

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Washington County)

I've heard of coyotes being shot in PA that weighed 70+ pounds.

And as far as never seeing them - Go spotting in those fields on the farm. I see a few a year while spotting. I'm thinking about hunting them again soon. They are hard to hunt. They are said to be the 8th hardest animal in the world to hunt.

my buddy has been trying to talk me into going. the way he talks its easier than squirrel hunting around here. i've seen alot of them while spotlighting but never called or hunted them.

(Washington County)

AR-15 Outlaw - If you have the opportuniy to go with an experienced coyote hunter DO IT. You'll have a blast even if you don't shoot anything. If he has more success coyote hunting than he does with squirrels could you tell him to tell me his secret? Please? Ha ha.

(Westmoreland County)

Id love to go out but nobody around here wants to go "its too cold out" is all I ever hear.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast