Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: expungment

(Delaware County)

Question expungment

Does anybody have any knowledge of how this works? I,m trying to get an arrest record cleared up from over 40 years ago that ended up with no conviction,i thought everthing was ok but every now and then when buying a firearm i,m put on research, i have sent and recieved back my RAP sheet from pa. that shows that there was no conviction, don't know whether to hire a lawyer or try to clear this up myself, looking for some advise (leaning toward lawyer)

(Delaware County)

Default Re: expungment

A lawyer would be good!!

Try C. Scott Shields in Media!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by harley104 View Post
    Does anybody have any knowledge of how this works? I,m trying to get an arrest record cleared up from over 40 years ago that ended up with no conviction,i thought everthing was ok but every now and then when buying a firearm i,m put on research, i have sent and recieved back my RAP sheet from pa. that shows that there was no conviction, don't know whether to hire a lawyer or try to clear this up myself, looking for some advise (leaning toward lawyer)
    We have a very proficient gun lawyer, as a member here.........

Generally, in PA, the following information can be expunged
    *Juvenile data
    *Non-conviction data (dismissals, ARD, etc)
    *Summary convictions (after 5 years)

Misdemeanor and felony convictions can be expunged if the petitioner is over the age of 70 and more than 10 years have elapsed

Finally, one could petition to expunge a criminal conviction AFTER receiving a pardon

PA expungement statutes:
    18 Pa. C.S. 9122
    18 Pa. C.S. 9123
    35 Pa. C.S. 780-119
    Last edited by Willis; January 13th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Why should there be any problem if there was never any conviction?

From what I understand, even people with no record sometimes get put in "research" with pics. I could be wrong, but I don't think being put in research occasionally has anything to do with your arrest record if you were never convicted.
    Last edited by zackattack784; January 14th, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND IS IF YOU ARE FINGERPRINTED IN PA. THAT RECORD IS CARRIED WITH YOU FOREVER EVEN WITH NO CONVICTION, THE BRADY BILL TIGHTENED EVERYTHI NG UP

(Delaware County)

SORRY FOR THE SPELLING ERROR EXPUNGEMENT

(Montgomery County)

If you were never convicted, then there shouldn't be any issues.

You say every now and then when you try to purchase firearms you get put into research which implies that you have been able to purchase firearms.

Individuals that have never broken the law sometimes get put into research for what seems like no reason at all, so that's not really an issue.

Proud member of:

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Why should there be any problem if there was never any conviction?

From what I understand, even people with no record sometimes get put in "research" with pics. I could be wrong, but I don't think being put in research occasionally has anything to do with your arrest record if you were never convicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by harley104 View Post
    FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND IS IF YOU ARE FINGERPRINTED IN PA. THAT RECORD IS CARRIED WITH YOU FOREVER EVEN WITH NO CONVICTION, THE BRADY BILL TIGHTENED EVERYTHI NG UP
    The fingerprint card is what generates the record of arrest; if the police or DA don't update the record after they decide not to prosecute, the PSP and PICS will only have the arrest record, without a disposition. That leads to delays.

Expungements are seldom a matter of absolute right, there's case law where even arrests that didn't lead to conviction are not expunged, if the police/DA contest them. If you looked good for killing the neighbor's kid, for example, but they couldn't quite convict you, the police like to keep track in case some future neighbor kid vanishes the same way. And the courts may allow them to keep the records.

In practice, non-conviction records shouldn't have much impact. If the disposition is in the record, PICS shouldn't be delayed, and it shouldn't show up in any employer criminal background check. Police can find the records unless they're expunged, but the public can't. But even with an expungement, local cops might remember arresting you, and the Philly PD will demand that you self-disclose any arrests when you apply for an LTCF.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Question Re: expungment

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The fingerprint card is what generates the record of arrest; if the police or DA don't update the record after they decide not to prosecute, the PSP and PICS will only have the arrest record, without a disposition. That leads to delays.

Expungements are seldom a matter of absolute right, there's case law where even arrests that didn't lead to conviction are not expunged, if the police/DA contest them. If you looked good for killing the neighbor's kid, for example, but they couldn't quite convict you, the police like to keep track in case some future neighbor kid vanishes the same way. And the courts may allow them to keep the records.

In practice, non-conviction records shouldn't have much impact. If the disposition is in the record, PICS shouldn't be delayed, and it shouldn't show up in any employer criminal background check. Police can find the records unless they're expunged, but the public can't. But even with an expungement, local cops might remember arresting you, and the Philly PD will demand that you self-disclose any arrests when you apply for an LTCF.
    your paragraph one is right on the money ,with my situation, it does lead sometimes to delays, which at times (GUN SHOWS) STINK, my record shows no conviction, no disposition and no further action (PSP RAP), so why doesn't the pics people have this info, and i have to go thru expungement prodcedures ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast