Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: .22 Pistol shootout - Beretta 89 vs S&W 41

I agree with the idea that nine dollar a box ammo is out of the picture for most people. I always felt, though, that it was good to know as much as I could about the gun that I was testing. I found that Federal 711 shot as well as anything and so that is what I use.
    BTW - CCI Green Tag is subsonic at 1070 fps.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Susquehanna County)

Hey Pete, Thanks for the info. Don't know why but I thought GT was HV.

In any event, I checked on some prices and I find that most decent standard velocity ammo (even though it might not be available) is listed at reasonable prices.

Aguila Standard Velocity $28.08 (all prices shown are per brick or 500)
    CCI - $38.97
    Eley Sport - $29.80
    Federal Gold Medal Target $42.95
    Fiocchi - $27

I have a Volquartsen bull barrel for my M107 and so far only RWS Target Rifle feeds reliably in it and that is only $54.57.

In any event, the 41 won't outperform any gun if you don't want it to.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    Sorry guys but if this gun will only perform with $8 / box of 50 ammo then it is gone. My High Standard S101 and Beretta 89 eat virtually any ammo and I have won quite a few bullseye matches with the HS S101. The 41 seems to be a nice gun and I will give it a chance but I do not think it will outperform either the HS S101 or the Beretta. I don't shoot any really serious competition any more so if the ammo I usually use does not do the trick then it's heave ho.

Today after I sighted this 41 in I was easily able to hit cans and pieces of clay pidgeons out at 90 to 100 feet, using these ammo types, which is good for me.

I can reload 9mm and even buy it sometimes for less than $9 / 50 and I am sure as sh*t not paying that for .22lr unless there's big money in it.
    Theres gotta be something wrong with the gun itself for it not to like all ammo. My old mans gotta a 41 bought it about 20yrs ago, its what I learned to shoot with. I havent shit it in about 3yrs but from what I can remember the only problem at the time was failure to eject 1/20. After talking to a dealer he was informed there was a recall so that got fixed. But as a kid like I said I never had a problem with it and we just shot the bulk stuff.

(Luzerne County)

Theres gotta be something wrong with the gun itself for it not to like all ammo.
    The truth of that statement depends on what you mean as "like".
    When I have tested my guns, as mentioned above, the guns "functioned" well enough. They were, though, absolutely more accurate with some ammo types and brands than with others.
    As I mentioned before, go to a Bullseye pistol match and look at what is being used. You will rarely see HV ammo used. Why? Not because it doesn't work but because it's not as accurate (at least in most people's guns). In that sense, using "like" to mean "as accurate as possible", every gun will show a preference for certain ammo, "like" it more.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    The truth of that statement depends on what you mean as "like".
    When I have tested my guns, as mentioned above, the guns "functioned" well enough. They were, though, absolutely more accurate with some ammo types and brands than with others.
    As I mentioned before, go to a Bullseye pistol match and look at what is being used. You will rarely see HV ammo used. Why? Not because it doesn't work but because it's not as accurate (at least in most people's guns). In that sense, using "like" to mean "as accurate as possible", every gun will show a preference for certain ammo, "like" it more.
    Pete
    True, and I wondered that myself the other day. Take for instance, CCI standard velocity, its concidered "target" ammo I wasnt sure why. But yes I see what you're saying. Feed and function are just part of your battle.

I just called S&W customer service and talked to a couple of people about the 41 and ammo for it. They said that generally the 41 does not like Remington and Federal ammo although the Federal Target grade ammo I used the other day seemed to be just fine but at 1200 fps is borderline. The S&W people suggested the CCI Standard Velocity or other match grade ammo that ran below 1100 fps.

They told me that the gun is not designed to shoot high velocity ammo and that it will probably damage it. They agreed that the temperature I was in should not have been a factor.

I will probably stick with the CCI Standard velocity ammo or CCI Green Tag. So now I need a good price source for it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
    I just called S&W customer service and talked to a couple of people about the 41 and ammo for it. They said that generally the 41 does not like Remington and Federal ammo although the Federal Target grade ammo I used the other day seemed to be just fine but at 1200 fps is borderline. The S&W people suggested the CCI Standard Velocity or other match grade ammo that ran below 1100 fps.

They told me that the gun is not designed to shoot high velocity ammo and that it will probably damage it. They agreed that the temperature I was in should not have been a factor.

I will probably stick with the CCI Standard velocity ammo or CCI Green Tag. So now I need a good price source for it.
    No kidding we've been pumping high velocity stuff through it for years. I guess Ill be sticking with the CCI standard for now on...... Good deal, hope everything works out for you!

(Luzerne County)

About match ammo - whether ammo is subsonic or not depends a lot on altitude. The higher up, the faster something becomes supersonic (the lower the velocity needed to break the barrier).
    In any case, most subsonic "match" ammo runs about 1040 - 1050 fps. Standard Velocity "Match" ammo is only a bit faster most of the time at about 1080 or so fps.
    That being said, a reliable and "accurate-in-my-gun" choice is Aquila Super Extra SV 40 grain which runs yet a bit faster at 1135 fps. Aquila also makes a higher quality match ammo that runs at 1080 fps.
    Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12