Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default I need some help

Here's my problem, I recently started saving for another pistol. I was really sold on the walther p99, although I never even held one I felt like it was the one for me. Just about everything I have read about them has been positive. I also think it is one of the best looking polymer guns out. So that's what I planned to be my next purchase. I went to the range this morning after my hour was up, I was looking around in the store(heritage guild in Easton is fantastic great range and their store has a great selection of new & used) But as I was looking I asked one of the guys there if he had a p99 in stock. After telling me they didn't he pretty bashed everything about them,(he seemed to know about alot of problems with them) he said he would recommend the ppq over it but wouldn't really recommend either. At first I thought it was money related but the g19 and ruger lc9 he was pushing on me were both cheaper, especially if I had them order the p99. So I need some input on the subject what would you recommend out of the 4 guns I mentioned, I doubt I would go with the ppq I really like the grip on but I hate the look of it. The ruger and glock both felt good in my hand but not quite sure, there's something about the p99 that makes me really want it so let me know your opinion

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I need some help

don't rely on the opinion of the guy behind the counter. instead, do a google search on p99 reviews and see what actual owners of them say.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    don't rely on the opinion of the guy behind the counter. instead, do a google search on p99 reviews and see what actual owners of them say.
    Agreed. Sometimes these guys get a hair up their ass about a brand or model because of one nightmare experience that they, or a customer they served, had to deal with. All companies are prone to a few mishaps, but as Crazy said google search it and I'm sure you'll find tons of reviews. More opinions are almost always better.

(Montgomery County)

For what its worth, I own 3 of the 4 guns you mentioned, the PPQ being my newest purchase - and I'd take that one over any of them... Although, I don't think you can make a bad choice out of any you mentioned...

It is a bit of a different look - at first it kind of reminded me of a Hi-Point - really top heavy looking - but now I've fallen in love with it. And, not a single gun I own feels as good in my hand as that one.

(Montgomery County)

Forgot to add - I wouldn't put the LC9 in the same category in regards to use. I shot my uncle's - its a small, snappy gun with low capacity in comparison to the other ones (single stack magazine vs. double stack). Great for deep concealment but I'm not sure if thats at the top of your priority list. I also thought it had an extremely long trigger pull - I'd try and shoot one before you decide on it. He actually ended up trading his in for a Walther PPS after taking it to the range for the first time.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by lhowland.40 View Post
    I doubt I would go with the ppq I really like the grip on but I hate the look of it.
    You'd be cheating yourself out of a potential great firearm if you didn't at least take a look at the PPQ. It's not for everyone but it's hard to imagine liking the P99 and not liking the PPQ.

P99

PPQ

(Northampton County)

My main thing about the ppq is the front serrations on the barrel, and in my opinion the overall larger barel width, like I said in my post I love the feel of the ppq in my hand. I think I might still go with the p99 if they can order me a new one, because I have yet to find one in any local shops.

(Northampton County)

Also the trigger guard on the ppq is rather large

(Monroe County)

I have a p99AS in 9mm and a g19. The p99 is a great shooter and very ergonomic. (no issues at all) The Glock is a great choice as well, but the p99 shoots better for me.

I cannot speak for the lc9, but you are not comparing similar weapons. It would be more fair to compare it to a Kel-tec pf9 or perhaps the Walther PPS .
    (small single stack polymer 9mm)

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Monroe County)

Also: if you are ever up at pocono pistol on a Sunday, you are welcome to try out my P99, glock sig, h&k.. whatever. buy a box of 9mm and I will bring a couple out if you want.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast