Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default xdm .40 or p99as .40

new to the forum. this going to be my 1st handgun purchase and i'm just wondering on opinions on which one you prefer. im kinda leaning towards a p99. it fits my hand a little better, but i like the longer barrel and higher mag capacity of the xdm. just looking for opinions, based on experience with them or any insight you might have. i have read many reviews of each. oh, and how mags does the p99 come with? i haven't found that answer yet and i forgot to ask at the store.

Default Re: xdm .40 or p99as .40

I just bought a second .40, the SA XDM .40. I already have an older HK USP .40 and just thought I would back it up. I have only had the XDM out twice but it shot flawlessly and it feels nice in the hand and shoots pretty accurately. I would say that overall I am very happy with it. Everything on the XDM just works very well.

I have not shot a P99 but if the P22 that I have is anything to judge by there is no way I would get a P99 over the XDM.

(Allegheny County)

If there is any way you can rent them at a range or know someone with either gun, shooting them is the best option to help you determine which you will be happier with.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.goodkat View Post
    new to the forum. this going to be my 1st handgun purchase and i'm just wondering on opinions on which one you prefer. im kinda leaning towards a p99. it fits my hand a little better, but i like the longer barrel and higher mag capacity of the xdm. just looking for opinions, based on experience with them or any insight you might have. i have read many reviews of each. oh, and how mags does the p99 come with? i haven't found that answer yet and i forgot to ask at the store.
    After doing a lot of online research and hitting some gun shows, I decided on getting a P99 AS 9mm (the 9mm choice was based on a number of personal criteria). From what I have been able to see, online and at the gun shows, nearly all of the used P99s/SW99s that that I came across for sale were .40s (and usually QA trigger as well). The gossip seems to point that the P99 was designed for the 9mm and "adjusted" to work for the .40 (with a heavier slide), and some thought that it is just a little to "snappy" compared to other .40s.

The XD was on my original research list (along with Glock and M&P). While I had not been able to find a close enough range that had a P99 for rent, I was able to hold all of the guns and liked to the fit of the P99 best (with the XD a close second). I also wanted a gun for CC, so the XDc was the model I was looking at. When I was making my final decision I felt that the XDM was just a little too long (now it looks like they have a shorter barrel XDM available for the 9mm - oh well).

The XDM is a choice handgun and even though I have a P99, if I was looking for something in .40, it would be an XD or M&P (or a Glock if you are so inclined, but I like not running with the pack hence I choose the P99 ).
    If you wish to keep the P99 .40 in your list I definitely suggest trying to find one to test shoot first (and I wish you good luck in trying to find a P99 .40 range/rental gun - you may have better odds finding an owner who would let you test the gun).

FYI - the P99 comes with 2 mags (and three back straps - sml, med, & lrg,)

Gene