Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thoughts before starting an AR-15 build...

I've caught the AR-15 bug. Unfortunately, money is extremely tight. I might be able to set aside 150-200/month towards a rifle. Rather then watch a pile of money grow, I thought it might be fun to buy the rifle part-by-part, and put it together myself. I can field strip my pistols, but that is all the experience I have with gun assembly at this point. I'd like to build an AR-15 for STHF as well as plinking at the range (does not need to be a precision build). I have found a TON of info out there, and have settled on some of the following points

1.) I want a flat-top (railed) upper reciever
    2.) 16" barrel
    3.) post-ban ok (don't need a ton of features for my first build)
    4.) standard 5.56 mm

Are there any parts I should just buy already assembled? I was looking at starting with something like a stripped MEGA lower reciever. I've heard everything on the web from "if you can turn a screwdriver and use a hammer, you can build an AR-15" to "you'll need over $400.00 worth of tools plus a press and good workbench". If I need to spend close to $1,000.00 in tools and equipment, I'll realistically never get around to building this rifle. I've also heard that I shouldn't put the "upper" together if I don't know how to headspace the weapon. Is a "complete upper" a good idea? I look forward to the advice/recommendations from others on here with experience.
    Last edited by Last Resort; January 13th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Thoughts before starting an AR-15 build...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I've caught the AR-15 bug. Unfortunately, money is extremely tight. I might be able to set aside 150-200/month towards a rifle. Rather then watch a pile of money grow, I thought it might be fun to buy the rifle part-by-part, and put it together myself. I can field strip my pistols, but that is all the experience I have with gun assembly at this point. I'd like to build an AR-15 for STHF as well as plinking at the range (does not need to be a precision build). I have found a TON of info out there, and have settled on some of the following points

2.) 16" barrel
    4.) standard 5.56 mm

Are there any parts I should just buy already assembled? I was looking at starting with something like a stripper MEGA lower reciever. I've heard everything on the web from "if you can turn a screwdriver and use a hammer, you can build an AR-15" to "you'll need over $400.00 worth of tools plus a press and good workbench". If I need to spend close to $1,000.00 in tools and equipment, I'll realistically never get around to building this rifle. I've also heard that I shouldn't put the "upper" together if I don't know how to headspace the weapon. Is a "complete upper" a good idea? I look forward to the advice/recommendations from others on here with experience.
    If you aren't very versed in gunsmithing, then yes. It can be very "touchy" so to speak...

*One thing you could do, since you are putting yourself on a budget, is just get everything together that you need for the upper, and then have a local gunsmith put it together for you?
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; January 13th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
    III%

Not a bad idea. Is the lower reciever something that is easy to assemble with minimal tools/experience?

(Allegheny County)

2.) 16" barrel
    4.) standard 5.56 mm

Are there any parts I should just buy already assembled? I was looking at starting with something like a stripped MEGA lower reciever. I've heard everything on the web from "if you can turn a screwdriver and use a hammer, you can build an AR-15" to "you'll need over $400.00 worth of tools plus a press and good workbench". If I need to spend close to $1,000.00 in tools and equipment, I'll realistically never get around to building this rifle. I've also heard that I shouldn't put the "upper" together if I don't know how to headspace the weapon. Is a "complete upper" a good idea? I look forward to the advice/recommendations from others on here with experience.
    You don't have to headspace it, the barrel is already headspaced from the factory.

Less than 100 in tools if you already have a vice and a 1/2" drive ratchet, you'll need an action block, set of punches and barrel wrench for a normal build.

If I were you I'd probably buy a complete rifle for the first one, then once you have one you can work on building another peice by peice.

If I understand correctly, the trickiest part of AR assembly involves the upper reciever and barrel. Is it correct to assume that this is where the majority of specialized tools are needed? How tough is it to put together a stripped lower, and then attach a "barreled upper" to the lower reciever? Would I be better off just buying an assembled lower reciever, and then purchasing a barreled upper reciever?

(Allegheny County)

If I understand correctly, the trickiest part of AR assembly involves the upper reciever and barrel. Is it correct to assume that this is where the majority of specialized tools are needed? How tough is it to put together a stripped lower, and then attach a "barreled upper" to the lower reciever? Would I be better off just buying an assembled lower reciever, and then purchasing a barreled upper reciever?
    It's very easy to put the barrel on the upper providing you have the tools, the lower can be a little tricky if you don't know what your doing.

Go to ar15.com there is plenty of good info and how too's when it comes to building AR's.

(Allegheny County)

putting together the lower is like building Ikea furniture....... only easy

look here:
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx

your not so much "building" as assembling.

you'll have a bunch of pins and springs and such go into the lower, the upper just snaps on if you buy one complete, and a buttstock and will have a big spring in it.

So far, I am planning the following process (for my first build).

1.) Obtain stripped lower reciever
    2.) Obtain rifle kit (probably del-ton)-involves pre-assembled upper w/barrel.
    3.) Obtain tools (drift punch set, needlenose pliers, hammer, screwdriver, and appropriate reference materials).

-Are most stripped lower recievers like MEGA (I like the design) compatable with del-ton rifle kits, or would I be better off going with a del-ton lower + rifle kit?

(Allegheny County)

I dont know the "mega" lower, but I am skeptical of "liking the design".

lowers should be "mil-spec". they are built to certain dimensions and should be interchangable for your purposes.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I dont know the "mega" lower, but I am skeptical of "liking the design".

lowers should be "mil-spec". they are built to certain dimensions and should be interchangable for your purposes.
    This...

You want to make sure it is a reputable lower.

Some "cheaper" ones you may want to take a look at are ones such as Bushmaster and Stag... You may come across some deals on DPMS, RockRiver, etc... But my advice would be, just make sure it is a reliable mil-spec.
    III%

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast