Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Overstock.com Scopes

Not knowing much about scopes, I would like to ask those that do to comment on the selection at Overstock.com.

How would you rate the prices?

Which are best values and why?

What features are attractive in the scopes offered?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Overstock.com Scopes

Depending on what you're putting it on..

Some scopes are a deal ( http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...8/product.html ) other, not so much. The scope I just linked to is great for hunting. I paid over 300 for mine 4 years ago. Avoid non-name brand scopes, usually they are garbage (unless you need it for a .22lr or airsoft, then it may be "good enough" for ya). Also, before you buy, google the name/model and look for reviews.

(Chester County)

Good common sense advice.

While I only have the one rifle, why does it matter which rifle it is put on? But initially I want something to put on a Marlin 336.

Can't scopes be used on a number of rifles?

If a scope bought for the most demanding use, long range, be used for less demanding use?
    Last edited by Quaker; January 13th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    Good common sense advice.

While I only have the one rifle, why does it matter which rifle it is put on?

Can't scopes be used on a number of rifles?

If a scope bought for the most demanding use, long range, be used for less demanding use?
    I agree 100% with the scope linked to, I LOVE mine and the rain guard is amazing.

I also agree with avoid the "no names", yes they MAY work but are you willing to risk that monster buck to save 25?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Dauphin County)

Very good point about saving 25 dollars, Dredly.

As for certain scopes for certain guns, there is a reason. First of all, some guns require 3/9" dovetail mounts while others take 7/8". Also, a .22lr has less recoil than a .308, and recoil will mess up and break cheaper scopes after time.

Another reason is purpose. I use a fixed power mil-dot scope on my .22lr because I do both short and long range shooting and the mil-dots help me adjust where as a basic + reticle would be useless for me. Now if you have a set range you're going to shoot and bullet drop will only be an inch or two at most, a standard + reticle will work fine for you.

There's also the matter of power. A 4 power scope will be useless if you intend to hunt deer at 700 yards out west. At the same time, if you are going to be hunting in the thick woods of PA where most shots will only be taken from 25-100 yards, a 12-42x56 will be a pain in your neck...unless you're trying to shoot fleas and not the deer they're hopping around on.

Then we have price.. Expect to spend the same amount of money on your optics that you spent on your rifle (or close too it). I wouldn't look at most scopes under 2-300 dollars. (mainly because they are no-name china brand garbage that will fail on you in a few weeks) Believe me, I've ordered the cheap stuff too for my .22lr and the differences are so clear between the cheap glass and the better, more expensive stuff.

Cheaper scopes are generally:
    Less durable, more fuzzy, darker (not as much light gets through), unreliable, constructed cheaply (like the knobs and AO ring requiring a lot of force to turn), etc. My dad has a marlin .35rem lever action with a bushnell trophy 3-9. It's a decent scope. bushnell is a good brand if you want to spend 150-400 hundred. After that you start getting into leupold which can cost $1000 or more. Then there is Nightforce which are basically top of the line costing over $2000 in some cases. They are made for tactical set-ups though...not your average deer gun.

I run a 4-12 bushnell elite on my .308 and a 10x supersniper on my .22lr. For 25-200 yards, a 3-9 or 4-12 would probably be recommended by most. After that you're probably going to want something more.
    Last edited by SpudCrushr; January 14th, 2010 at 01:12 AM.

I bought my last one there. Saved about $40.00 on it through them over other online places.

I knew what scope I wanted and it wasn't a lets see what they have thing. They had the best price for the one I was looking for to begin with.

Decide what you want, then look around for the best price . . . don't forget to include shipping in the final price. OS shipping for me was $1.00
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Just be careful with Overstock. I have compared prices on different items and they are sometimes not even close to the best price. Do youre homework men. das
    [SIGPIC]