Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Risky Move

(Lackawanna County)

Default A Risky Move

A friend of mine just got out of the Marines and has been trying to get me to move in. There are several things that are making me nervous about doing it, even though I'd love to move in with him.

* A job of course, its a long ways away.

*Its in North Carolina, they dont really have any OC there from what I understand. It seems to be hit and miss, some areas will bust your balls others its ok. I enjoy the fact that it is so accepted here (and I use that term loosely).

*He still lives on base, with his fiance, in Camp Lejuene (sp?). I think there would be a problem with me carrying on and off the base.

He says I could live there free of rent and utilities however long I need to so I can get myself a good job. A nice gesture, but I just have lights and sirens going off in my head screaming bad idea. He is really excited about it, because I said I would look into it and he's already making plans and what not.

Anyone have any info about NC? Maybe some experience? How about the whole military base thing? I just think he is setting himself up for dissappointment, but then I have no idea as to the legalities.

ETA: I spent a few weeks with him down there at the start of winter, I really do love the area, and have an idea or two for a job.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: A Risky Move

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    A friend of mine just got out of the Marines and has been trying to get me to move in. There are several things that are making me nervous about doing it, even though I'd love to move in with him.

* A job of course, its a long ways away.

*Its in North Carolina, they dont really have any OC there from what I understand. It seems to be hit and miss, some areas will bust your balls others its ok. I enjoy the fact that it is so accepted here (and I use that term loosely).

*He still lives on base, with his fiance, in Camp Lejuene (sp?). I think there would be a problem with me carrying on and off the base.

He says I could live there free of rent and utilities however long I need to so I can get myself a good job. A nice gesture, but I just have lights and sirens going off in my head screaming bad idea. He is really excited about it, because I said I would look into it and he's already making plans and what not.

Anyone have any info about NC? Maybe some experience? How about the whole military base thing? I just think he is setting himself up for dissappointment, but then I have no idea as to the legalities.

ETA: I spent a few weeks with him down there at the start of winter, I really do love the area, and have an idea or two for a job.

I think the gun/military base is the lesser of the "issues" to consider here.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think the gun/military base is the lesser of the "issues" to consider here.
    I second this opinion. Different methods of carrying your firearm are inconsequential as compared to getting involved in this kind of living arrangment. It's not like the sitcoms.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(York County)

My BFF lived in Jacksonville for like 2 years. Its nice there, but kinda boring...and just full of marines and college kids lol.
    I love NC and would move there if I could, OC or not. BUT the whole moving in with him and his woman and stuff...IDK in my experience that stuff doesn't work out so well...

(Lebanon County)

lights and sirens going off in your head.....

I would go with your gut instinct!

Leave it be..

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MadamRaven View Post
    My BFF lived in Jacksonville for like 2 years. Its nice there, but kinda boring...and just full of marines and college kids lol.
    I love NC and would move there if I could, OC or not. BUT the whole moving in with him and his woman and stuff...IDK in my experience that stuff doesn't work out so well...
    Been there, done that from his side. I was REALLY looking forward to it but it didn't work out with the wife. Has not been the same since. Your friends are already set up, it would be you that lost out if it didn't work out. Keep the great friendship and don't risk it.

(Lackawanna County)

Just a little more info, they have lived together two years, he works on base as some kind of security guard, she is still a full time Marine, stationed there. They have a kid. I dont quite see the issue EM, what am I missing?

ETA: They have two other room mates when I lived there. One is a career soldier. Cant remember his rank.

(Lackawanna County)

i'd go with your gut.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    Just a little more info, they have lived together two years, he works on base as some kind of security guard, she is still a full time Marine, stationed there. They have a kid. I dont quite see the issue EM, what am I missing?
    As of right now, you aren't missing anything.

Then you move in. Then weeks (or months) pass and you get to be good friends with his fiance. Then you two start enjoying each others' company and develop your own "communication style."

Then your friend starts noticing your friendliness and starts to catch on to your intimacy (as in friends, not sexual).

But then he starts to wonder. Then he gets jealous. Then things get really, really ugly.

And that's the BEST-case scenario.

Another option is that you and your friend get to be extremely buddy-buddy. His fiance gets jealous. She starts to cause insane amounts of headache for both of you.

Your gut says "no." Your online Poofa buddies say "no."

Keep the friendship. Stay in PA.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lackawanna County)

Oh... yeah..
    I hadnt thought of that. Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    As of right now, you aren't missing anything.

Then you move in. Then weeks (or months) pass and you get to be good friends with his fiance. Then you two start enjoying each others' company and develop your own "communication style."

Then your friend starts noticing your friendliness and starts to catch on to your intimacy (as in friends, not sexual).

But then he starts to wonder. Then he gets jealous. Then things get really, really ugly.

And that's the BEST-case scenario.

Another option is that you and your friend get to be extremely buddy-buddy. His fiance gets jealous. She starts to cause insane amounts of headache for both of you.

Your gut says "no." Your online Poofa buddies say "no."

Keep the friendship. Stay in PA.
    Thanks POOFA buddies

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast