Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Re: What do I need to know about CC/OC in Virginia

You didn't ask this, but you didn't state that you know it, either. If you are driving, unload and lock up your firearms, separate from your ammo, when passing through Maryland (only about 15 minutes if you're on Rt. 81, several hours if you're on Rt. 83 or 95)
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    No. VA has preemption
    Thanks. We go down there every year for vacation, and I just got my LTCF this year. I have been looking for a while now, and can never find any good info like you guys can!!

Smile Re: What do I need to know about CC/OC in Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Bump. Leaving in 10 days. I've reviewed most of the information a few times over now, but was hoping someone out there might have something else to add at this point seeing as the thread is many months old now.

ETA: Aww shucks. I just read ahead and found the effective date is 7/1/2010 to allow CC in bars.

The question still stands though, can I have beer with my dinner? Can I have more than 2 beers which would put me at the standard .08BAC limits several states use?
    just get drunk before you go so you don't have to worry about buying anyhing to drink . Hey

Smile Re: What do I need to know about CC/OC in Virginia

Bump. Leaving in 10 days. I've reviewed most of the information a few times over now, but was hoping someone out there might have something else to add at this point seeing as the thread is many months old now.

ETA: Aww shucks. I just read ahead and found the effective date is 7/1/2010 to allow CC in bars.

The question still stands though, can I have beer with my dinner? Can I have more than 2 beers which would put me at the standard .08BAC limits several states use?
    too much talking about drinks and bears, I felt a hangover already and what ya doing up so late? Get R and R you know rest and relaxation. I didn't really mean to get drunk, I hope you have a great time and vacation I'm sure you need it. Come back safe.

In VA NO GUN sign DO NOT have the weight of law but if you are asked to leave private property you must comply or be "trespassed"

(Monroe County)

The only thing I see being an issue here is alcohol. It's like you're going to have to carry multiple holsters in the vehicle or on your person depending on what you will be doing. I mean nothing is set in stone, but what if we want to go grab a bite to eat? Many places serve alcohol, and we will have to switch over from CC to OC. I think it's going to be a big hassle.

To be honest I don't feel as comfortable OC'ing in a state like VA where I'm not quite sure the police get it just yet. The last thing I need is to get locked up, charged, and have my vacation ruined. It will cost a ton of money and time to be going back and forth to Virginia to show up for court appearances and fighting the charges. Plus having to deal with a lawyer from out of state if it becomes a necessity.

I do plan to OC, but I will admit it won't be 99% of the time like it is here in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

The only thing I see being an issue here is alcohol. It's like you're going to have to carry multiple holsters in the vehicle or on your person depending on what you will be doing. I mean nothing is set in stone, but what if we want to go grab a bite to eat? Many places serve alcohol, and we will have to switch over from CC to OC. I think it's going to be a big hassle.

To be honest I don't feel as comfortable OC'ing in a state like VA where I'm not quite sure the police get it just yet. The last thing I need is to get locked up, charged, and have my vacation ruined. It will cost a ton of money and time to be going back and forth to Virginia to show up for court appearances and fighting the charges. Plus having to deal with a lawyer from out of state if it becomes a necessity.

I do plan to OC, but I will admit it won't be 99% of the time like it is here in PA.
    You don't need multiple holsters. Just do what is called the "Virgina Tuck". Just place your cover garment behind the grip of your pistol so it is not concealed and is "discernible from common observation"

Totally legal. I believe that most Cops in VA get OC at least as well as any other state. I do it alot and never a hassle.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SWinokur View Post
    You don't need multiple holsters. Just do what is called the "Virgina Tuck". Just place your cover garment behind the grip of your pistol so it is not concealed and is "discernible from common observation"

Totally legal. I believe that most Cops in VA get OC at least as well as any other state. I do it alot and never a hassle.
    I'm taking my S&W 642 with me, and don't have any holsters for it except a pocket holster so far.

What you're referring to would only work with a OWB holster, imo. I don't think you could get away with using an IWB holster, and then simply tucking your shirt behind the grip. It might work, but i could see a cop saying "it's half concealed". Then I would get charged, and have to fight it out in court. There's no arguing with a cop who "knows what he's talking about".

I'm not sure what type of holster I'll get, most likely something high, tight, and OWB. That way I can OC with it, and then conceal the relatively small j-frame without much issue.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

I'm taking my S&W 642 with me, and don't have any holsters for it except a pocket holster so far.

What you're referring to would only work with a OWB holster, imo. I don't think you could get away with using an IWB holster, and then simply tucking your shirt behind the grip. It might work, but i could see a cop saying "it's half concealed". Then I would get charged, and have to fight it out in court. There's no arguing with a cop who "knows what he's talking about".

I'm not sure what type of holster I'll get, most likely something high, tight, and OWB. That way I can OC with it, and then conceal the relatively small j-frame without much issue.
    Actually I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB for both my G30 and my Govt sized Kimber. no problem seeing it if your shirt is tucked behind it. it just needs to meet the description of "common oberservation" which it certainly does.

As I stated, i've been doing this a lot with no problems. I tuck as I go into a restaurant and untuck outside.

After july 1 CC is ok

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SWinokur View Post
    Actually I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB for both my G30 and my Govt sized Kimber. no problem seeing it if your shirt is tucked behind it. it just needs to meet the description of "common oberservation" which it certainly does.

As I stated, i've been doing this a lot with no problems. I tuck as I go into a restaurant and untuck outside.

After july 1 CC is ok
    Alright, I'll take this into consideration and ask around if any other VA residents follow your modus operandi. Thanks for the insight.

Yeah, I heard about all the new laws they passed. Lots of good stuff. Too bad they don't take effect until July 1st.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast