Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What do I need to know about CC/OC in Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Bump. Leaving in 10 days. I've reviewed most of the information a few times over now, but was hoping someone out there might have something else to add at this point seeing as the thread is many months old now.

ETA: Aww shucks. I just read ahead and found the effective date is 7/1/2010 to allow CC in bars.

The question still stands though, can I have beer with my dinner? Can I have more than 2 beers which would put me at the standard .08BAC limits several states use?
    in va, I wouldn't.

(Bucks County)

Bump. Leaving in 10 days. I've reviewed most of the information a few times over now, but was hoping someone out there might have something else to add at this point seeing as the thread is many months old now.

ETA: Aww shucks. I just read ahead and found the effective date is 7/1/2010 to allow CC in bars.

The question still stands though, can I have beer with my dinner? Can I have more than 2 beers which would put me at the standard .08BAC limits several states use?
    The current statute reads:

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer or any retired law-enforcement officer who meets the definition of a "qualified retired law-enforcement officer" pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926C and is carrying the identification required by such statute from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    I dont see anything that says you can't drink....just that you can't conceal. The NEW law will allow concealing...but no drinking...THE BILL...scroll down to bottom of page 5

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The current statute reads:

I dont see anything that says you can't drink....just that you can't conceal. The NEW law will allow concealing...but no drinking...THE BILL...scroll down to bottom of page 5
    I've seen documentary footage of VA residents drinking beer while OC'ing at a bar. I don't know if it was legal or not, they didn't talk about it during the video. They were discussing the pros/cons of OC..

I'll do some further research but, it seems if this was made into law, the general consensus of LE is probably that they don't respect an individuals right to consume alcohol and be armed. Most likely, going by my gut feeling on the situation, you would be charged with something. I'll have to try and get to some virginians before I leave and see what their experiences are.

thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Here might be the best place to ask about it. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/

Andy
    Andrew Jackson USN (1992-2010)

(Bucks County)

The funny thing about the new law....is that it specifically states....he who carries concealed into a bar may not drink.....it doesnt say anyone who carries may not drink...

I do not know what the effect of the new law is, but for myself, I was drinking beer while OCing as I mentioned previously in this thread. I usually limit myself to two beers, and on rare occasions three. In no way does three beers even get me close to 0.08BAC, but I am not taking chances. In both cases I was with a group of people, walking everywhere I went, although I had to drive back to my hotel at the end of the evening. No one bothered me, no cops appeared, and I was in some pretty crowded public places where my gun was noted by a number of people. I know this because several people who were locals approached me to ask me what they had to do to be able to carry.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigthicketthunter View Post
    Here might be the best place to ask about it. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/

Andy
    Funny...i did just that...

It might not be a bad idea to contact the AG's office by email to get it right from them. Print it out and carry it with you. I contacted the Delaware AG when we went down for a weekend and they were very helpful, I can't see why Virginia would be any different.
    Perhaps when you get back you can update us on the visit pro's and con's. Have a safe and fun trip.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Somerset County)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what about the City of Virginia Beach. Do they have any special regs because it is a "resort area"? I have been looking for a while but must not be looking in the right places.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what about the City of Virginia Beach. Do they have any special regs because it is a "resort area"? I have been looking for a while but must not be looking in the right places.
    No. VA has preemption

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923; 2009, cc. 735, 772.)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast