Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default IDPA Classification and Shooting Experience

Here are some questions for anyone who shoots IDPA:

1. How much shooting experience did you have before starting IDPA?

I owned handguns for a few yrs but only shot every once in a while before starting IDPA.

2. How long have you been shooting IDPA?

I started in March 2009

3. How much do you practice each week?

I shoot once or twice a week and practice draws reloads and dry firing at least twice a week.

4. How often do you go to shoots?

Usually once a month

5. What are you currently classified at and how long did it take to reach that level?

I classified Sharp Shooter in September. My shooting skills are probably high Sharp Shooter/ low Expert but my gaming skills and brain run at a Novice level which totally screw me every match.

6. What is the biggest thing you need to work on to become a better shooter and how do you plan to achieve this?

Like I said, above I need to work on getting my head right and learning to not let the timer pressure me. I've been working on moving and shooting from awkward positions. To really get better I need to have disciplined pratice and a plan and stop winging every trip to the range.

I just want to see everyone's background and how they have progressed to see if I can learn something. I kind of feel stuck at my current skill level and am really looking for ways to improve. My last shoot was a complete disaster and it really got me thinking about what I need to do to achieve my goals. Thanks.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Default Re: IDPA Classification and Shooting Experience

I ve been to 3 idpa matches, I just started in Dec. I've been shooting for a year

i go to the range 3 -4 times a month

unclassified SSP

probably everything. training.

(Allegheny County)

1. 20 years experience, numerous training courses throughout the US, prior full time LEO and US Army Officer, participated in different types of shooting sports before IDPA.

2. First IDPA match was at Greater Pitt Gun Club in August 2003

3. Currently I practice 1-2 times each month, and dry fire 2-3 times each week.

4. Last year I shot one match per month at the Lawrence County Sportsman Association club.

5. SSP Expert, shot on 7-18-04 at Hancock County Sportsman Association, WV using my EDC Glock 19 in a Kramer belt scabbard and off duty pouch.

6. At this point in my life, my goal is to keep my shooting skills at my present level and not let them deteriorate at all. In order to improve further, I would need to enter into an intensive dry fire and live fire routine, something that I have really no desire to do at the present. I look at my IDPA match as a monthly practice session, allowing me to do some things that I can't at my normal practice range.

Good Post, I am interested to read what other IDPA shooters have to say.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post

Lots of wingshooting and rifle experience. Very little pistol shooting.

6-7 years

Less than once a week over the past 2 years.

One IDPA and one USPSA match in a month in the summer.

5. What are you currently classified at and how long did it take to reach that level?

USPSA Master in Limited and Limited 10....took 5 years. I was an IDPA Expert in CDP my second year, but I haven't been reclassified since. When people bug me I just tell them to class me as Master.

6. What is the biggest thing you need to work on to become a better shooter and how do you plan to achieve this?

I'm toying with Production/SSP so I need to spend more time with the Glock.
    Overall, the best way to progress that I found was to break most gun handling actions down....even gaming....and then practice them together during drills (like a modified El Pres or other drills).

And when I say "break it down".....I mean....every last movement. Set your holster to a place that suits you best. I like the inside of my forearm to graze my magwell. I start that way every time I can. Position your index not on the first target....but at a place where you can address the most targets at the start with ease and the least amount of shifting. Concentrate on the buzzer.....while picking a SPOT on target one. RIP the gun from holster and have the visiual patience to wait for the front sight to talk to you before you shoot any shots. RIP the gun to the next target.....brake it smoothly.......visual patience again...... If you have to move.....MOVE.....and look to the next target.....have the gun up and ready when you reach position. If you have to reload get that weak hand moveing NOW.....the strong hand has all the time in the world to release the magazine....the speed is in the weak hand. Rip the weak hand down....tilt gun/drop mag...see magwell.....insert new mag while NOT bringing the gun below where you can still see the target.....rotate gun onto target.......press....

You get the idea.

Of course, that is WAY oversimplified and I have found that most gun handling is really not as dependent on how fast you can move.....but how fast you can see. Most people can shoot faster than they can see and their entire body movements are usually inefficent.

Transitions are also overlooked as they have the most impact on time in a stage once you reach a level of modest proficiency (fast splits are not really where it's at).

The Enos forum is a wealth of information on these subjects.

Lycaneasiertoshowthanwriteaboutthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lawrence County)

For those of you asking about the "Enos Forum":

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Welcome to the forum frequented by the absolute best shooters in the world. Many of the topics are heady stuff and well beyond basic mechanics.

Lycanenjoythrope

(Chester County)

Shooting since I was a kid. Got heavily into pistols 10+ years ago. I've taken a number of tactical (non-competition oriented) handgun courses.

Early 2008

Range 1-2 times a week. Dry fire a bit. Reloads, draw, etc. every couple of nights.

I try to hit 2 a month.

SS, SSP. First time on the classifier. I've run it since, non-officially, and ended up high Expert. I typically end up in the top 5% overall (all classes, all divisions) at local matches, most accurate shooter every couple of matches. Lousy days in the top 20%. I really need to shoot it again officially, and soon. I don't really give a damn about classification, but I look like a shithead when I'm classified SS and beating experts and low masters.

Transitions. F&*%ing transitions.

I just need to spend more time on a non-static range -- my issue with the transitions comes from doing 90-95% of my practice on an indoor static range. And I'm going to try to squeeze in a true competition class this year in addition to the tactical one I'm taking in March.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Transitions. F&*%ing transitions.

I just need to spend more time on a non-static range -- my issue with the transitions comes from doing 90-95% of my practice on an indoor static range. And I'm going to try to squeeze in a true competition class this year in addition to the tactical one I'm taking in March.[/COLOR]
    Stack two targets...one low and one high and you can practice on the static range.

It's not the distance, it's the act of RIPPING the gun and braking for the shot.

Lycanyoudon'tneedmuchthrope

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Here are some questions for anyone who shoots IDPA:

I shot on the rifle team and in boyscouts. I had owned my handgun for about 3 years

I started in may 2008 I think

We have a weekly practice at my gun club focusing on defensive pistol. Mainly IDPA style stages

I try to get to a match every week when I can. I have been bogged down with work on weekends lately. A triple header is not out of the ordinary on a summer weekend...

SSP expert and ESP sharpshooter. I got the Bump to expert from the frozen Penguin Match. I placed first in the Independence match this year for SSP Expert but there weren't enough people for a bump. Who wants to be a master anyway?

I need to work on the way the game is played. I often find myself stepping up to the line with more than one plan in my head and I end up picking the wrong one. I also have not been praticing nearly enough lately.

I love IDPA and wish I could spend more time working at getting better.