Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: The Gun Gallery in Mt Penn PA [UPDATE]

you should probabley think about opening your own your own thread Art. i can promise you the drama isn't done with them and it will end up dragging your efforts down.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    you should probabley think about opening your own your own thread Art. i can promise you the drama isn't done with them and it will end up dragging your efforts down.
    I did open my own thread. lol (This one)

Sofar, everything is still going smoothly. Slow, but smooth.
    I just got paperwork and confirmation today that my LLC has been created/formed.

Obviously, any number of things can certainly derail my efforts... but I'm persistent and stubborn... so I doubt any drama will be a problem, since I'm not directly involved in any of the drama or legal issues whatsoever.

And... (as you have been looking into as well) I can always open a shop elsewhere if that location goes poo-poo. (which I doubt)

I'm pretty confident everything will work as planned at that location. There will be many changes implemented, since this will be MY business and MY FFL at stake.
    The entire gun range membership will be a completely new/different procedure, more akin to a strict private club. All members will be screened for prior criminal history and no public walk-in shooters will be allowed in the range. Membership and hourly rates will still be very affordable... only difference is, membership will be voted/approved and investigated before any range privileges are granted. It may seem like a drastic way to do things, but I guarantee it will maintain the safety and integrity of the range. I just cannot allow gangbangers and criminals in the range shooting alongside LE and upstanding citizens. With all the negative stigma associated with that place, it's the only way to get back on track.
    I will probably need to appoint/elect a range committee to handle the membership applications and screening process.

Running a tight ship like this may be painful at first, but I feel in the long run it will pay off.

(Berks County)

You got allot of good plans, hope it works out for you.
    yes i have been looking at trying to open a shop, it is allot of work. that is what was attractive about the gg, the zoneing part was done and zoneing is one of the big issues with opening a shop. but things happen for reason.
    Im just glad I don't have to be around her an misty anymore. looking back I don't know how i worked there.....

(Berks County)

Just another quick update...

The last few days/nights I've spent at the shop... I've been working in the range...

I always thought it was too dark in there... so I hung a 4ft flourescent light above each shooting station... and also a 150w flood light in front and below each bench aimed downrange. With all the previous lamps mounted high, there were always dark spots and shadows in the ceiling and casting shadows on the targets in certain places.
    Now the floodlights keep the targets bright and easy to see... shining all the way downrange and also lighting up the ceiling for add'l indirect illumination.

I'm also thinking about repainting the walls and ceiling a bright white... and the floor a light gray color... to help brighten it up even more.

I will also probably replace the shooting bench tops with something other than deep shag carpet.

Lanes 4,5&6 before picture... (with flashbulb)

Lanes 1,2&3 after picture... (No flashbulb)
    Pic was taken at shooting bench... targets are all the way out at 50ft.

Looking back at the 1,2&3 benches from downrange. (no flashbulb)
    Last edited by Dragracer_Art; March 2nd, 2010 at 02:08 AM.

(Berks County)

Ironically I was just thinking it would be nice if Art would post an update on his project. The lighting certainly makes an improvement. I'm just curious, if you have some type of screening over the floods. The reason I ask is that I was at another indoor range, and naturally the only lane open didn't have a low wall. I was hit on the knee by a 45 that richochetted from the back. Upon checking, I noticed several other bullets laying in close proximity. That being the case, I suspect a richochet could strike the flood bulb and cause it to explode. Just a thought for whatever, if anything, it's worth. It appears the lighting itself has done the trick and I wouldn't be too worried about repainting, unless you run out of things to do before you can open. The carpeted tops may not be such a bad idea, they do help to absorb the sound and also keep things from rolling/sliding off the surface area.

Any update on a startup date?

(Montgomery County)

Please hurry , I would like more options for an indoor range. FCO is a mad house on the weekends.

(Berks County)

A few more pictures...

I spent a better part of yesterday in the range cleaning. I ran a vacuum over the entire floor surface to pick up any dust or debris... just in case I decide to throw paint on the floor.

I'm working on a pretty tight budget, so I haven't decided yet, how far I want to go with cosmetics at first. The main thing was to rid the range of clutter and improve the lighting. That was priority #1. Maybe once we get the OK to open for business, I will think about painting the walls and floor in the range, along with replacing the old rug.
    I still need to set cash aside for a camera system and ID scanner... both of which are a priority, if I plan to sell firearms.

All pics were taken without the flash...

My little guy gave the range his seal of approval by sprinkling it with plastic airsoft BB's.

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; March 3rd, 2010 at 06:31 PM.

(Berks County)

looking awesome!!
    we'll slap some paint on it and a few other "cosmetic" details and make it a "happy" place!!
    you guys wont want to go home!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerry2866 View Post
    looking awesome!!
    we'll slap some paint on it and a few other "cosmetic" details and make it a "happy" place!!
    you guys wont want to go home!!
    Yeah, the more I look at it... the more I think paint and carpet would go a long way.

(Berks County)

question for art, do you know if the guns that was there in inventory will be for sale in the future.....the reason im asking is i bought my first gun there, a steyr m9, im looking for a another m9 or an s9 and i cant seem to find one anywhere, and since i think im the only guy ever to buy a steyr i thought you might still have some....thanks

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast