Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 250 Primmers in non-magnum?

I am hearing various things on primers and need clarification.

I am reloading .308 ammo for long range shooting (300 to 800 yd). My plan was orginally to start with 168 grain Boattails, Varget powder and 250 primmers. Now I'm being told not to use 250 primmers as they are for magnum rounds. I was told this after purchasing 1000 250 primmers.

Is it recommended to use 250's?

Can I use the ones acquired?

If not, what is the recommend primmer?

Thanks in advance

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: 250 Primmers in non-magnum?

From what I was told, you could use them but your charge would need to be reduced a fair bit. Be careful with this, and I strongly suggest you trade the magnum primers for some others, or hang on to them for a magnum load.

I personally wouldn't bother with the Magnum primers, and I would score some CCI BR-2 Large Rifle primers. I use them on all my accuracy loads with great results.

(Bucks County)

I use mag primers for most of my loads only because I bought 30,000 at a very good price. Only problem I had was with a particular rifle getting light primer strikes. Went to Federal LR primers; problem solved. Reduce the load 5% to start. Most books will tell you to reduce the load 1% to start. Mag primers burn hotter and are made of a thicker metal. Because of the thicker metal do not rely on visual inspection of the primer for high pressure.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

I hope the following is not too basic or insulting to you. It is not meant to be. How I read your thread is that you are somewhat new and inexperianced to reloading. If so, it was good to ask.

Check your reloading manual for the primers that were used for the specific load you decide upon. You should follow those instructions in your chosen manual.

A "250" primer is not an across the board name for certain primers. 250's are CCI's designation for their "Large Rifle Magnum Primer". Their large rifle standard primers are "200".

Everyone who manufactures a primer offers their own designation. And, in some cases, the primers can be different to some extent, even if designated the same. i.e. A Remington Large Rifle Magnum primer may not be manufactured to the same specs as another brands Lg. Rifle Mag Primer. It is often said that if you change the brand of primers, you should reduce your load.

Attached is a primer cross reference chart.

Additionally, some folks believe that having a "magnum" caliber automatically requires the use of a magnum primer. Not always true. The type of powder to be used often determines the primer to be used. Again, refer to your loading manual for use of proper components.

Richard Lee, in the Lee second edition loading manual, discuss' some differences in primer's. I recommend the Lee manual for any reloader, regardless of experiance level.

Your .308, with most standard powders, including Varget, should get along fine with a standard rifle primer.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

Good Luck

(Jefferson County)

You can use a "magnum" primers in a standard case/cartridge/load. Just expect higher peak pressures, and with near max powder loads to exceed specified pressures.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

MJT,

Insulted? Not even close. Thanks for the input.

Am I New? Yes, to adjusting. For as long as I remember I helped my dad reload. I now reload myself. The problem being, we always reloaded the same load. .308 w/39 grains of 3031 and a 150 grain spire point bullet. It's simple if you do it enough of times. Now I am expanding and hopefully I can rely on other people.

I have never pushed the limits on a load and want to play it safe. Although I am liking the longrange stuff. So I am getting into the higher pressures. People talk about peak presures, what are the warning signs of before reaching peak preasure?
    Last edited by Turkey Slayer; January 12th, 2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey Slayer View Post
    MJT,

Insulted? Not even close. Thanks for the input.

Am I New? Yes, to adjusting. For as long as I remember I helped my dad reload. I now reload myself. The problem being, we always reloaded the same load. .308 w/39 grains of 3031 and a 150 grain spire point bullet. It's simple if you do it enough of times. Now I am expanding and hopefully I can rely on other people.

I have never pushed the limits on a load and want to play it safe. Although I am liking the longrange stuff. So I am getting into the higher pressures. People talk about peak presures, what are the warning signs of before reaching peak preasure?
    Exceeded pressure signs are flattened or ruptured primers, ballooned cases, stretched cases, thinning of the case wall right about where the wall and head meet.

Pressures in a gun peak rather quick, then taper off as the explosive force has room to expand when the bullet moves down the barrel. With a hotter primer it will often cause the same powder charge to burn faster than a standard primer thus raising the peak pressure PSI and alter the pressure drop-off curve.

When working with hot loads, always inspect your case before firing again. The previously fired case can give you a fair warning as to how the brass is holding up and problems with the gun.
    Last edited by knight0334; January 13th, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I agree with knight 0334. Additionally, you may also want to be aware of how the rifle responds. List to the sound of the round going off and pay attention to any recoil differences.

While all these examples can be signs of higher or excessive pressures, nothing is etched in stone. When dealing with reloads and approaching the high end of the load scale, attention must be given to every aspect.

I think you and your father have a nice load there. IMR 3031 is a good powder for the .308 and the 150 gr round.

Given that you're interested in long range performance, you may want to check some of the long range or bench rest sites and read what some of the shooters there are doing.

However, keep in mind: Any load you may find on the internet should not be used unless verified by a competent loading manual.