Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default crown work for 5R

I just purchased a Remington 700 5R Milspec. After I had it at home I noticed a indentation on the crown. It may or may not affect the rifling, it's tough to tell being a novice. My goal is to get it to a reputable gunsmith cabable of doing the work.

Being from Lancaster PA, my preffence would be someone within an hour or so. If no one local can be found I am willing to ship.

Question #1; Can anyone recommend someone local?

Question #2; Who do you recommend nationally?

Thanks in advance

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: crown work for 5R

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey Slayer View Post
    I just purchased a Remington 700 5R Milspec. After I had it at home I noticed a indentation on the crown. It may or may not affect the rifling, it's tough to tell being a novice. My goal is to get it to a reputable gunsmith cabable of doing the work.

Being from Lancaster PA, my preffence would be someone within an hour or so. If no one local can be found I am willing to ship.

Question #1; Can anyone recommend someone local?

Question #2; Who do you recommend nationally?

Thanks in advance
    Take a picture of it and post it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I sent my 5R to GA Precision and had the barrel shortened to 18". I couldn't be happier with their work. They had it about a week. Shorten & recrown wasn't very expensive. Don't remember exactly but check their web site.

If it's new...why would you pay a dime to have it fixed? Why not contact Remington...have them issue you a call tag and have them pay for shipping and the repairs?

It is not new from factory. I bought it second hand. Supposably unfired.

pictures. If you need more angles let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are some really good gunsmiths in PA...big issue is how long do you want to be on their waiting list?

When I had my 5R, I sent it to HateCA to have some work done on my rifle. His turn around time was awesome, but I believe he is not currently taking on any additional work.

Randy at the Hand Gunner in Topton, PA does good work as well. I believe their is a gunsmith that works with Trop's as well and they are in Lancaster.

(Lancaster County)

Take your rifle to Hakes Sporting Goods.100 Willow St. Wrightsville Pa. Have their smitty take a look at it.

I agreed with some others, that I wanted to see photos of the crown before you had it worked on. I'd say that because of where the ding is at, it might be effecting the accuracy a little bit. I'd personally take it out and shoot it and see how it grouped or if you had a consistent flyer before I had any work done to it. Have you shot it for groups? What kind of groups was it averaging, and with what ammo? What's your experience, and what size of groups do you normally shoot?

I would make sure that you shoot it and see if it's really effecting the accuracy. Either way, if you send the rifle off to have it worked on, you're going to pay more for shipping and insurance than the actual crown job. I would recommend that if you have it recrowned, that you have it done locally. It's not too terribly hard to crown a rifle, and most people don't charge much at all to clean it up a little. If you always wanted a recessed crown instead of an 11* target crown, now would be the time to do it; it won't cost you much at all. If you send it off, it'll cost you the same or more to have that crown cleaned up than if you have it done locally with a different crown (recessed). Both crowns are are functionally the same, but sometimes people like a different look.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    There are some really good gunsmiths in PA...big issue is how long do you want to be on their waiting list?

When I had my 5R, I sent it to HateCA to have some work done on my rifle. His turn around time was awesome, but I believe he is not currently taking on any additional work.

Randy at the Hand Gunner in Topton, PA does good work as well. I believe their is a gunsmith that works with Trop's as well and they are in Lancaster.
    Never had Trops do gunsmithing, but they are one of my favorite stores here in PA. I'd trust them to get it fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast