Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default J.C. Garand Match

Tulpehocken Rifle & Pistol Club,
    http://tulrpc.com
    Pine Grove, Pa. 17963, will be holding their 3rd annual "Battle of the Bulge" Shoot, on Jan 24, 2010.
    J.C. Garand match(course B), shot at 200 yds, with Pits.
    Sign in at 12:00, shoot starts at 1:00 P.M. $10.00.
    WWII era rifles only. No optics.
    This shoot will be held regardless of the weather.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: J.C. Garand Match

Hey, I'm in those pictures. You can see my butt on the first pic, behind the guy w/ the red earmuffs. I'm wearing a canvas jacket and jeans. In the second pic my knee and hand are visible behind the guy standing with his hands in his pockets.

It was my first Garand shoot. Alot of fun, although wierd at first being in that pit w/ several hundred .30 cal rounds whizzing overhead. Also very cold. I'm not sure if I can shoot again this year, but I hope to.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lebanon County)

What is involved with something like this?
    I'd like to start getting into fun shoots - going to a range by yourself gets old really quickly!

I just bought my first Garand 11 months ago, and always love seeing them. I'm new to shooting in general, so any info regarding what goes on, would be appreciated!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    What is involved with something like this?
    I'd like to start getting into fun shoots - going to a range by yourself gets old really quickly!

I just bought my first Garand 11 months ago, and always love seeing them. I'm new to shooting in general, so any info regarding what goes on, would be appreciated!
    Show up at the range at 12:00 to sign up. Pay $10 fee. Follow instructions. Have fun.
    Seriously, do the above, but bring at least 55 rounds of ammo, have an open chamber flag, a small tarp or piece of carpet to lay on is helpful, and dress warm, it goes on no matter the weather. Your rifle should have a sling on it. I don't know if it is required, but it is helpful for stabilizing the gun.

There will be a range officer in charge, he will give clear instructions at each stage, just obey the instructions, especially about being unloaded and flagging the chamber.

All shooters are required to work in the pit for one flight of shooters. Working in the pit is easy, you just mark the holes after each shot of slow fire, and after 10 shots of rapid fire, while keeping score for that target. People will help you, they helped me last year. When your working the pit, keep your head down! (Just kidding, it's a bit intimidating at first, but after a while it is fun. Guns sound different when you're downrange from them.)

As I remember, the course of fire was 5 sighters which are not scored, then 20 prone slow fire (load and shoot 1 at a time) in 20 minutes, then 10 rapid fire prone in 70 seconds, then 10 rapid fire sitting in 70 seconds, then 10 rapid fire standing in 70 seconds, for a total of 55 shots. It takes about 45-50 minutes, since there is prep time in between disciplines. For the rapid fire, you will load 2 rounds into the rifle first, shoot those two, then reload with a full clip. Scoring is 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,& 5 depending on the ring, no points outside of the 5 ring. Don't worry about the points, though. It's a blast just to shoot.

You can also shoot any other WWII era rifle, they don't have to be semi-automatic. Last year someone shot a Muaser. I've been thinking of using my Mosin-Nagant 91/30. Maybe I'll see you, there.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lebanon County)

It would be interesting! I've been on the "recieving" end of a gun once when I was mountain biking - accidentally. Bullets sound a little intimidating!

200 yards though. I guess I'll need to go to the range and do some sighting.

My barrel is a '53 barrel that is pretty well beat. First time I was out with it, I set up at 200 yards, and I was able to hit a large silhouette paper (but not in any real grouping) will all my shots, and this is after I had completely stripped the gun (sights off and all) and before I had sighted it in. SO - I know with some 200 yard sighting, she'll perform decent!

Hmm. I may be there though!

(Lackawanna County)

PSA!
    Anyone that really wants to own this course of fire should consider joining us this weekend at the Appleseed in Manheim. We cover field positions and proper sling use and many other often neglected skills that will really make you able to shoot your Garand with authority.

(Allegheny County)

anyone got more pics of those pits and the set up ?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    PSA!
    Anyone that really wants to own this course of fire should consider joining us this weekend at the Appleseed in Manheim. We cover field positions and proper sling use and many other often neglected skills that will really make you able to shoot your Garand with authority.

I'd love to do an Appleseed. Infact, [OT alert!] that area is where we got shot at on the mountain bikes....
    I just lost my job Monday though, so 75-80 bucks is a little out of the question, unfortunately.

(Allegheny County)

Is this a CMP JC Garand Sanctioned match or a just for fun match?
    Toujours prêt

These are all the Pics I have from today,

6 Shooters braved the elements....rained to the end!

Looking Down-Range from the 200yd Line

The Pits