Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Can aSouth Carolina concealed carry license be obtained by a Pennsylvania resident?

My questions is can a PA resident obtain a ccw license for South Carolina?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Can aSouth Carolina concealed carry license be obtained by a Pennsylvania residen

Only those who own real property in South Carolina may obtain a non-resident South Carolina permit.

http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP
    SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
    (A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, except subject to subsection (B) of this section, SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident who is at least twenty one years of age and who is not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon upon submission of:
    (3) proof of residence or if the person is a qualified nonresident, proof of ownership of real property in this State;

Pennsylvania has no reciprocity agreement with South Carolina, but you may be able to obtain a non-resident permit from another state that South Carolina does honor, which I believe is Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida (which definitely offers non-resident permits), Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina (duh), Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.
    Last edited by JCWohlschlag; January 12th, 2010 at 02:23 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Can aSouth Carolina concealed carry license be obtained by a Pennsylvania residen

South Carolina only honors resident permits from florida. you would have to be a florida resident.

Isn't South Carolina a state that allows "glove box carry" for anyone that is not prohibited from owning a firearm?

I know that's different from actually being able to get a carry permit there, as you have to leave your gun in your car, but it's better than the other option of nothing.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuz View Post
    Isn't South Carolina a state that allows "glove box carry" for anyone that is not prohibited from owning a firearm?

I know that's different from actually being able to get a carry permit there, as you have to leave your gun in your car, but it's better than the other option of nothing.
    Yes, in SC you may "glove box" or "console" carry so long as the compartment has a close-able lid. You may also carry concealed to/from your vehicle to your home/dwelling/motel/etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

what i want to know is can i carry a black powder pistol openly in SC...because it isnt a handgun under the laws of SC so the permit doesnt apply to it and since its a weapon it cant be concealed so you have to carry it OC no license ?????

i dont go to SC much even though i live only an hour away but it would be nice to carry there..other than the glovebox

(Fayette County)

Thanks! I do own property in SC AND WILL APPLY next time I am there. I found out that the reason there is no reciprocity is because the license can be obtained in PA without any course work which is not required in PA. Pa has a very lenient ccw licensing procedure and in my opinion that is the way it should be!
    Last edited by gunman724; January 13th, 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gunman724 View Post
    Thanks! I do own property in SC AND WILL APPLY next time I am there. I found out that the reason there is no reciprocity is because the license can be obtained in PA without any course work which is not required in PA. Pa has a very lenient ccw licensing procedure and in my opinion that is the way it should be!

there should be no license ever.....

SC has really become a drag, they need to either repeal the resident permit requirement to allow, for example PA residents to carry in SC on a FL permit, OR at least offer a non-resident permit to everyone.
    Another option is to honor ALL resident permits from ANY state.

This is where PA's lack of training requirement has its drawbacks.

(Allegheny County)

My SC license just recently expired. There is a course that SC requires for people to get a license. (Here's where I took my class http://www.cwpclass.com/Class01.htm )The laws are different when carrying and they want to make sure you can use a gun before allowing you to carry.

Don't hold your breath waiting for SC to change their ways any time soon. They are quite Independent minded and not ready to accept outsiders. The last thing a South Carolinian wants is a yankee walking around carrying a gun.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast