Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Choosing a CC holster

I have a XD9 SC and I find the holster that comes with it is terrible. I'd like to start carrying but how on earth do you choose a holster? There are so many styles and brands and prices!

I want to conceal, it is a small gun so I don't think it will be too hard. I thought about a crossbreed supertuck, they get great reviews. However most of my pants are not that loose and I don't want to buy all new jeans.

I think that leaves me with owb. Do any of you that conceal carry owb? Is it possible to cover with a t shirt?

If anyone has some recomendations of what you like, maybe a photo, would be great.

The serpa seems like a good choice but I also like the look of the leather holsters. So many choices.. I tried searching on here but most of the threads with OWB say they use it for open carry, I can't rule that out but it isn't the plan for now.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Choosing a CC holster

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    However most of my pants are not that loose and I don't want to buy all new jeans.
    IWB or OWB doesn't matter - the number 1 rule of carrying comfortably is the belt. Get a good (stiff) gunbelt to support whatever holster you want.

I don't know why IWB or OWB would matter with looser fitting pants. If anything, it would be easier to conceal IWB with loose pants.

Just find a nice belt first.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DarylJ View Post
    IWB or OWB doesn't matter - the number 1 rule of carrying comfortably is the belt. Get a good (stiff) gunbelt to support whatever holster you want.

I don't know why IWB or OWB would matter with looser fitting pants. If anything, it would be easier to conceal IWB with loose pants.

Just find a nice belt first.
    No mine are NOT loose. I'm not sure how comfortably I could fit a holster and gun inside the wastband. I've put on a a few pounds over the years, which I'm trying to lose and don't want to buy new pants.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    No mine are NOT loose. I'm not sure how comfortably I could fit a holster and gun inside the wastband. I've put on a a few pounds over the years, which I'm trying to lose and don't want to buy new pants.
    Oh..sorry...got that backwards. Either way...even if you go OWB, the belt makes all the difference.

I LOVE this guys stuff:
    http://www.jmgholsters.com/owb.htm

(York County)

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...gbbscducor3er6

I love these holsters. Cheap and comfortable. With a good belt of course. I do a casual type carry. But the holster holds my gun tight to my side. I never tuck my shirts in and with my serpa you could tell I was carrying. With the J.I.T not overly noticeable.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by algoesfast View Post
    http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...gbbscducor3er6

I love these holsters. Cheap and comfortable. With a good belt of course. I do a casual type carry. But the holster holds my gun tight to my side. I never tuck my shirts in and with my serpa you could tell I was carrying. With the J.I.T not overly noticeable.

+1. If you are trying to conceal, I would avoid the Serpa. I have 2. In my opinion, they are great for the range or for training courses, easy access to your weapon, but they stick out just a little too far for OWB concealment.

My holster of choice so far (and there are MANY I have not tried, so my experiences are limited) is a Don Hume H726. You can Google it. I OWB carry my XD45 Tactical 5" in the Don Hume. No way I am going to hide that cannon under any tee shirt, but a jacket, sweatshirt, flannel shirt, all untucked, will do the trick.

I agree there are a lot to choose from, but there are still holster manufacturers that do not make holsters for all the XD pistols, and you may find that your choices are more limited than you realize.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

I was just doing a lot of research on the topic. Some of these companies want somewhere in the range of $80. I understand that you get what you pay for and they seem like fine products, but $80ish was just out of the question for me.

I was at a local gun shop and picked up a BLACKHAWK IWB holster for $13! It is comfortable and best of all I could TRY IT ON before I spent $80 on some dead animal skin I never got to touch.

(Cumberland County)

I appreciate the input so far guys. What you said about the serpa makes sense. I'll look at some of the ones you all listed.

(York County)

I'm also a Don Hume fan. My SP101 rides in a Don Hume Model 721 (with a retention strap). Galco also makes a nice holster at a reasonable price. My G19 rides in one of those (don't recall the model as this holster is a good 10 years old). The Galco also has a retention strap as I prefer that type.
    I wear a Cabela's Safari Vest in the fair weather days (and, NO, I don't think a vest screams "GUN!" and I wouldn't care if it did). In colder days like now, I wear a Filson vest (not the western style...got one, keeps me warm but is too short to conceal).
    Also, a sports coat works well all year and people don't look at you funny if you wear it inside.
    Both the Hume and Galco holsters are around the $50-$60 range. A good gunbelt will cost you about the same (if it's leather). Don't go cheap on your carry rig. If you can afford the gun at $400-$600, you can swing the bucks for a decent carry rig.

I do not use Tee Shirts for concealment, but if you do, you'll want a fair amount of cant so the gun is 30° to 45° to your height. Less likely the butt of the gun will print. Looser tee shirts in darker colors work better too.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; January 11th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

I just ordered one of these in the deluxe, which gives you the option of a belt or paddle, adjustable cant, and a resonable price for a quality holster, and available for just about any gun there is.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=55

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast