Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Choosing a CC holster

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I just ordered one of these in the deluxe, which gives you the option of a belt or paddle, adjustable cant, and a resonable price for a quality holster, and available for just about any gun there is.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=55
    I've been looking at them. Let us know how you like it. I like the adjustability & paddle/belt option of the Blackhawk Serpa, but I'm not real fond of the plastic.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Franklin County)

I have a Galco SIL100 for my Model 60~just love it, deserves a better belt than what I currently use..don't know if they still have the Silhouette line but the Galco stuff I've bought if nice quality. I also own Bianchi, Safariland, Ahern, Beretta, Uncle Mike's, and some unbranded gunshow stuff..you get what you pay for, and good firearms deserve good holsters
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Lancaster County)

I highly suggest a Mitch Rosen 5jr express if you are going to go owb. There is no need for a thumb break unless you want to oc imo. About a year ago I decided to sell my XD40sc in favor of the Glock 27. The only thing that made it a hard decision to sell was the fact that the Mitch Rosen leather holster I had for it was so good. I sold the gun and then the holster on ebay. The guy who bought it sent me 3 messages telling me how much he liked it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I highly suggest a Mitch Rosen 5jr express if you are going to go owb. There is no need for a thumb break unless you want to oc imo.
    Mitch Rosen does make a really nice holster, but you're going to pay $100 or thereabouts. If the holster works for you, $100 isn't bad as it'll last forever.
    As far as a thumb break strap...retention holsters (no strap, just depends on the fit of the holster) never worked for me. Hell, I've got a retention (no strap) holster for an MK9 I'll give away, if anyone wants it. It's a pain to holster the gun and it always rode up when I drew the gun even with a good (Beltman) gunbelt. It's a left hander in black.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

BG,

I met you a while back at one of the group shoots, I think. Are you Wasz's brother?

Anyways, you will have no problem with the SC. I carry the fullsize XD all the time in just a tee shirt of a polo. Right now I'm using the speed scabbard which has been upgraded to this: http://www.desantisholster.com/store...39&itm_index=0

It's not a bad holster overall and I got it cheap. However, mine has dual belt loops to adjust the cant and there is too much flexibility after a year of so of constant use. I just ordered a raven phantom after trying one and hearing NOTHING bur great things about them.

http://www.themalabarfront.com/produ...oducts_id=1570

And I would also recommend checking out http://www.jsholsters.com/ they have some solid products and have HANDS DOWN the best customer service I have EVER received.

(Allegheny County)

cc owb ?
    Ravon Phantom, hands down winner

(Cumberland County)

Unfortunately I have not made it to a group shoot yet. that would be an easy way to try out some holsters..

I'll have to try and keep an eye out for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    BG,

I met you a while back at one of the group shoots, I think. Are you Wasz's brother?

Anyways, you will have no problem with the SC. I carry the fullsize XD all the time in just a tee shirt of a polo. Right now I'm using the speed scabbard which has been upgraded to this: http://www.desantisholster.com/store...39&itm_index=0

It's not a bad holster overall and I got it cheap. However, mine has dual belt loops to adjust the cant and there is too much flexibility after a year of so of constant use. I just ordered a raven phantom after trying one and hearing NOTHING bur great things about them.

http://www.themalabarfront.com/produ...oducts_id=1570

And I would also recommend checking out http://www.jsholsters.com/ they have some solid products and have HANDS DOWN the best customer service I have EVER received.

Quote Originally Posted by brewguy View Post
    I think that leaves me with owb. Do any of you that conceal carry owb? Is it possible to cover with a t shirt?

If anyone has some recomendations of what you like, maybe a photo, would be great.
    I use a leather OWB holster with a retention strap all the time for either CC or OC, I like the leather over a paddle style because it holds the handgun tighter to my side.

have no problem with it being covered by a t-shirt

This is the one I use, made by Frontline Holsters, imported from Israel, it's pictured with a Taurus PT745mp which is pretty close to the same size the XD is, it also worls very well with my Ruger P345.

I wouldn't use this holster with a XD because of the grip safety XD's have, only posted it as a reference to how one looks. Lots of companies make excellent leather retention holsters, Highnoon, Tagua, Desantis, Bianchi and others at pretty reasonable prices

Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Mitch Rosen does make a really nice holster, but you're going to pay $100 or thereabouts. If the holster works for you, $100 isn't bad as it'll last forever.
    I'll second the recommendation for Mitch Rosen Holsters. I have 2 5JR President Express models for my Glocks. They ride close to the body, are easily concealable with an untucked t-shirt & very comfortable.

The Express model is basically the same as his custom 5JR, but without the time & labor of hand boning. Express models run $75 & IMO are a bargain.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I've been looking at them. Let us know how you like it. I like the adjustability & paddle/belt option of the Blackhawk Serpa, but I'm not real fond of the plastic.
    Hopefully I get it this week, I'll let you know how I like it.

I have other comp-tac holsters as well for IWB CC, to me there isn't many better options available when it comes to IWB holsters, hope there OWB holsters are just as nice, which I'm sure they are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast