Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default I bought a 22 rifle.

My collection has been lacking, in that I never had a 22LR rifle. I have a semi-auto, but nothing legal for hunting. So I decided to remedy that on Friday.

I went to DEER VALLEY in York and bought a used Savage MKII.
    I don't know much about it as far as year, or model.

It has a wood stock, thin barrel, not accu-trigger, bevelled receiver with a cheap Tasco 3-9x? scope. That cheap skinny one.

Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Didn't even take any pictures.

The mark II seems to have a descent reputation online. We'll see what it can do.

Does anyone have one of these? Anything you can tell me?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Somerset County)

Default Re: I bought a 22 rifle.

I've had one for several years. My wife and son have burned an awful lot of ammo thru it while I sight in the bigger guns. I've shot some groundhogs with Remington Yellow Jackets but for the most part it just gets fed whatever cheap 22 LR I have on hand. It worked the first time and every time thereafter. I've got a Bushnell Scopechief 4X on mine, seems to work OK for my purposes.

I did get a 5 round magazine for hunting, the 10 rounder is in the way when I carry it. I added studs for sling swivels too.

Dale

(Luzerne County)

I have a MkII with the Accutrigger. I absolutely LOVE it. Great shooter with even decent ammo, mine likes CCI Standard Velocity and anything better. I added a cheap $40 Simmons scope and some $8 rings. It shoots as well as many higher dollar guns at 50 yds.

(Dauphin County)

I bought a MKII BVTSS last year and love it! This is an amazing rifle. It tends to shoot the blue box federal rounds the best out of the cheaper stuff. I've gotten 8" groups at 200 yards with this combo (and that was shooting prone off a bipod!).

I have a SS 10x (mil-dot) for optics. Also invested in a few 10 round magazines as well as a weaver rail that replaces the stock mounts. I've put over 5,000 rounds through this thing and it's still shooting good groups. Also, only ever had one "dud" round out of all those...and I shoot the cheap ammo--walmart special. Stick to Federal, avoid winchester and you'll be good!

Here's my toy (sorry, only good images I have of the current configuration ATM):

(Adams County)

Mine has the grooves in the reciver for scope rings, not drilled for mounts.

Should I look at another option for mounting a scope, or are the grooved type ok?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post

Should I look at another option for mounting a scope, or are the grooved type ok?
    Ah, you probably have a dovetail mount then. This is fine since there is very little recoil on such a small caliber. I would avoid buying a new scope and use the setup you have until you decide if you like shooting .22lr. You can always pick up a new MKII like mine for around $300 new later down the road if you really get into rimfire shooting like I did.

I don't know how much money you have to play with or what, but my dad has a marlin semi-auto .22 with a small 4x scope and that thing drives tacks at 50 yards. You don't need a 500 dollar scope to have fun; there are plenty of cheap ones that will do the job.

I shoot thousands of rounds through my MKII, so of course I put the most money into this rifle. If you just want a bolt .22lr for hunting, yours should be fine. Tasco can be lacking in quality control so the best thing to do is take it to the range and see how it works before you go and change anything. Who knows, maybe the setup you currently have will work perfectly for ya.
    Last edited by SpudCrushr; January 12th, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post

Mine is mounted with the grooves and I've had no issues with it.

Dale
    Last edited by dk99358; January 12th, 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: clarity

(Philadelphia County)

Here are a few of the .22s I have and I have found that over the years that each .22 has it's own personality.

I have shot all of them quite a bit and one of my favorites is an old egyptian made cz licensed .22 with a long thin barrel that viberates when it's shot and it is one of the most accurate one I have....Found it at a local Flea market for 80 bucks.
    It would be the last I get rid of.
    Granted the Anni shoots better, But even the ones with pitted dark bores can really surprise you ! !
    Shoot the Savage ! !! ! They are very accurate and can do 1/2" groups at 50 yards if your likes to do such things...
    Each is different and it's up to you to see which one yours is! ! ! !
    Enjoy !
    It should be a great shooter!

(Allegheny County)

PRED how do you like that Henry Golden Boy? I saw one yesterday that I have been thinking about picking up. I like the heft and size compared to the other Henry 22

(Philadelphia County)

The GB had to go back home to get a new barrel,
    From a rest at 50 yards it had about a 3' spray and most were keyholed,
    It is better now.
    I will say that I have another Henry up there, A short Carbine that is more accurate than the GB.
    It may be odd that I cant get it to shoot all that well and the Carbine shoots better....
    I will say this.
    I sent the Henry back to the factory on a Monday and had it back with a new barrel on Thursday~~~ WOW~~~ Great customer service.
    If you can afford a Marlin 39A Lever, I feel that they are more accurate.
    Henry is a good gun though.
    You are welcome to shoot my GB if you're in the Phila area.
    Peter