Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Looking for a place to cut firewood

My wife and I just bought our first house in August and I can't believe the electric rates to heat a house with electric baseboard. We're already looking at getting a heat pump installed, but I'd prefer to use the wood stove as much as possible.

I just got home in December from being away for 14 months with the Marine Corps and being gone, I obviously wasn't able to cut/split during the fall. The wood the previous owners left behind is either almost all gone or rotting.

I'll cut just about anything hardwood. Dead trees, standing or fallen, are nice as they season faster, but if you have trees you want taken down or know of a place I can cut, I need to get some wood for the wood stove.

Let me know if you have any wood I can cut, even if it's only a few trees. A couple big trees can last a long time.

I hate having to pay for wood someone else split when I can do it myself and get the exercise, but even that is cheaper than electric heat.

Thanks in advance.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Looking for a place to cut firewood

I have a dead tree in the yard that you can have I honestly don't know what it is. but you are welcome to it. PM me if you are interested. It died two years ago.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

Be careful about offering to cut down trees for people. It is a highly skilled profession. Unskilled people who do this often end up dead, or seriously injured, not to mention legal problems from dropping trees on houses, cars, power lines, etc. I am often called and asked to cut down a tree "for the wood", as I use it in my business as well as to heat my home. My response is that I do not cut them down, but I will cut them up.

Anyone know where I can get a truck loads of logs?

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Be careful about offering to cut down trees for people. It is a highly skilled profession. Unskilled people who do this often end up dead, or seriously injured, not to mention legal problems from dropping trees on houses, cars, power lines, etc. I am often called and asked to cut down a tree "for the wood", as I use it in my business as well as to heat my home. My response is that I do not cut them down, but I will cut them up.
    I guess I should have said on wooded land, not your back yard. I have no interest in providing tree service in a residential area.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    I guess I should have said on wooded land, not your back yard. I have no interest in providing tree service in a residential area.
    Even on wooded land you need to be careful. I have a friend (cuts wood as part of his profession) who chainsawed his shoulder half off because he was cutting in the wrong direction. It happened real slow too, as he struggled to keep the saw from coming down into his arm. I can't even count the people I know with scars on their legs from drop starting saws. I don't know anyone who has been killed by whiplashing trees, but I do know several with missing digits because of not paying attention.

I'm with you on the truckload of logs. I would like to find one too. Good luck this time of year. If you do find anything, it is bound to be green. It burns, but you don't get nearly the heat value out of it, with the exception of ash.

(Adams County)

You could check with nearest DCNR office as they allow cutting up downed trees, at least in some locations.

Even on wooded land you need to be careful. I have a friend (cuts wood as part of his profession) who chainsawed his shoulder half off because he was cutting in the wrong direction. It happened real slow too, as he struggled to keep the saw from coming down into his arm. I can't even count the people I know with scars on their legs from drop starting saws. I don't know anyone who has been killed by whiplashing trees, but I do know several with missing digits because of not paying attention.

I'm with you on the truckload of logs. I would like to find one too. Good luck this time of year. If you do find anything, it is bound to be green. It burns, but you don't get nearly the heat value out of it, with the exception of ash.
    I appreciate your concern, but I've been running a chainsaw, felling trees, and splitting wood for years. Yes, it's inherently dangerous, but I've been doing it for a while and still have all my fingers and toes and no saw scars.

Quoted for truth!

Many years ago a friend of mine and I decided to make 'a few extra bucks' cutting down a tree and I ended up in the hospital after the 'blade didn't slow down fast enough after hitting my knee. Yup 50 stitches across my kneecap and a deep grove in the bone that will be with me forever.

I've 'been around' chainsaws and cutting down trees for as long as I can remember and I STILL remember that OH SHIT moment when that blade hit my knee!

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    I appreciate your concern, but I've been running a chainsaw, felling trees, and splitting wood for years. Yes, it's inherently dangerous, but I've been doing it for a while and still have all my fingers and toes and no saw scars.
    I'm not trying to be a nanny or anything. I teach for part of my living, and part of that teaching is how to run a chainsaw correctly. I cannot tell you how many people think it is just a matter of sticking the saw into wood and waiting until it gets all the way through.

One of the guys I mentioned who lost some of his digits owns his own tree service and has been in the business for about 25 years. He lost his fingers two years ago. Chanisaws are pretty close to guns for danger. Maybe even more so since there is no definite direction in which to point them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast