Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking for a place to cut firewood

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I'm with you on the truckload of logs. I would like to find one too. Good luck this time of year. If you do find anything, it is bound to be green. It burns, but you don't get nearly the heat value out of it, with the exception of ash.
    Going rate in my neighborhood is currently $850.00 a load IF you can get it. Not a whole lot of land clearing going on since the building boom has come to a halt. 3 years ago that same load was $380.00.

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
    Going rate in my neighborhood is currently $850.00 a load IF you can get it. Not a whole lot of land clearing going on since the building boom has come to a halt. 3 years ago that same load was $380.00.

Plinker
    Yeah, this stuff ain't cheap anymore, with all the people who want to save money. I have a source though. I've been very good friends with the owner of a tree service for almost 17 years now. He sends me really nice wood, and I send him some artsy turnings from time to time. As a bonus, I often get huge trees, up to 48" in diameter, loaded onto my trailer and destined for my field. It is some extra work cutting them up, but I call that exercise.

I'm not trying to be a nanny or anything. I teach for part of my living, and part of that teaching is how to run a chainsaw correctly. I cannot tell you how many people think it is just a matter of sticking the saw into wood and waiting until it gets all the way through.

One of the guys I mentioned who lost some of his digits owns his own tree service and has been in the business for about 25 years. He lost his fingers two years ago. Chanisaws are pretty close to guns for danger. Maybe even more so since there is no definite direction in which to point them.
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I just usually don't tackle trees I'm not comfortable with. I'm also not going after the 4' diameter trees you need a crane for. There's a local guy with 3.5 cords of oak for $100/cord. Seems to be the best deal I can find, but it's not ready to burn right now and he won't have more wood in the future. $100/cord just seems pricy. I'd love to get logs. Saves the hassle in the woods and you get a great workout.

I like to cut in the winter/spring when it's not as hot to wear the extra pants that might save you from that slip with the saw. Cutting this time of year is usually limited to what is obviously dead or fallen trees since you don't have leaves on the living trees to look for.

Anyway, if I find any log load prices, I'll post it up. I left a few messages with local logging companies.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
    There's a local guy with 3.5 cords of oak for $100/cord. Seems to be the best deal I can find, but it's not ready to burn right now and he won't have more wood in the future. $100/cord just seems pricy. I'd love to get logs. Saves the hassle in the woods and you get a great workout.
    The last time I bought oak by the cord was 2001, and it was about $120/cord. I would snap that up before someone else does, even if you have to wait till next year to burn it.

The last time I bought oak by the cord was 2001, and it was about $120/cord. I would snap that up before someone else does, even if you have to wait till next year to burn it.
    That's the plan. I'm probably going to split it with my father in law. I'll take the cheap-priced wood, but I need wood I can burn right now. I found a guy who will deliver a cord of mixed hardwoods at $125/cord. Doesn't seem to be a bad price either considering most ads I see are around $150+. Gebhard's wants $250/cord. They're nuts. But they're a tree service company and I think it's just a way to make some cash over the winter, but who knows.

As far as logs go, if I can get them cheaper than buying split wood by the cord, I don't mind if I have to wait for a year to burn it. If I can get cheap wood that I can split and get drying without having to even go look for it is fine with me as long as the price isn't too high.

I don't want to pay $125-$150/cord all the time, but I do need stuff right now and if I can get logs dropped that I can cut and split on my own that cuts that price by at least half, I'm ok with that. With my first kid on the way and there's always stuff to do around the house, plus getting some time to hunt/fish/ride the motorcycle, saving quite a few hours by getting logs dropped at my house is fine with me.

I talked to a guy today that has 7 large oak trees that were cut down this fall and are cut into sections. Sounds like they'll use equipment to load it onto a trailer, but it's pick up only. They're taking offers on it until the 19th. If it's as much wood as the guy makes it sound like, I wouldn't need all of it, but they're only selling to someone that will take it all.

Anyone interested in splitting the wood up?

I'll get more details and post later.

I talked to a guy today that has 7 large oak trees that were cut down this fall and are cut into sections. Sounds like they'll use equipment to load it onto a trailer, but it's pick up only. They're taking offers on it until the 19th. If it's as much wood as the guy makes it sound like, I wouldn't need all of it, but they're only selling to someone that will take it all.

Anyone interested in splitting the wood up?

I'll get more details and post later.
    There is way more wood than I'll use in a number of years in this pile. Unless someone wants to go in on it together, I'm going to pass.

I had a cord delivered (and stacked, included in the price) on Saturday and I found a few cords of oak at really low price from a guy getting out of the business of selling firewood. Also got 4 trees to cut down not far from the house and I'd be surprised if I have less than 5 cords split and stacked drying out for next year.

Anyone know the policy of getting fallen trees out of state game lands? There's an area not too far from me that was recently clear cut and there are a number of decent sized trees just laying there and have been for a few months.

Game Commission is closed for the holiday today, I'll have to call tomorrow.

Anyone know the policy of getting fallen trees out of state game lands? There's an area not too far from me that was recently clear cut and there are a number of decent sized trees just laying there and have been for a few months.

Game Commission is closed for the holiday today, I'll have to call tomorrow.
    You need to apply for a permit, and it's typically limited as to where and what can be taken. YMMV
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast