Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Tritium or fiber optic?

As a lot of you know, I've been doing a lot of checking and rechecking different things while I wait for my tax papers so I can get my refund.

For the last couple of days I've been looking at different sights. I want something a little easier to see in low light conditions than the plain old three white dot sights.

I'm trying to figure out if I should go with a fiber optic set of sights or if the tritium sights would work better.

My options between the two would be a set of Novak three dot fiber optic sights or the Heinie Straight Eight tritium night sights.

(I don't need anyone complaining about how horrible the Straight Eights sights are because I already know my eyes pick up and stack the two dots as fast or faster than lining up the three dots of other sights)

So any opinions, thoughts or musings on the subject?

Default Re: Tritium or fiber optic?

FWIW, I have Fiber Optic on a rifle of mine and night sights on a pistol, I like the fiber optic sights better during the day but obviously you can't see when it gets really dark with the fiber optic. If you're gonna be using them for really low light conditions I would opt for the night sights.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Standard fiber optic sights are not very good for low light IMO, they do make tritium fiber optic sights though.

(Berks County)

Since you usually on focus on the front sight for a pistol, stay with a black rear sight, and tritium front. Fiber optics work well in low light, and day time, but if it is nighttime for home defense...they won't hold a candle to the tritium post.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    Since you usually on focus on the front sight for a pistol, stay with a black rear sight, and tritium front. Fiber optics work well in low light, and day time, but if it is nighttime for home defense...they won't hold a candle to the tritium post.
    Ive actually been wondering about the mis-match black in back and illuminated in the front myself. Im glad you posted that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Konsukah_19 View Post
    I disagree with the bolded, while it doesn't have to be direct sun light I've never come across a fiber optic sight that lit up at all in low light conditions.

It depends on what your using the gun for and where you shoot. I shoot indoor and outdoor ranges. I've found fiber optic sights are great outside, indoors it depends on the lighting. Fluorescent lights kind of suck with FO sights. Self defense/low light I would go with Tritium. There are also a few manufacturers that actually have both Tritium and FO in the same sight which is the best of both. Also for target shooting I prefer only a front FO sight with the rear black, it draws your eye right to the front sight.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Monroe County)

as XD45 said: tritium fiber optic, best of both worlds!

http://www.truglosights.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;

click the tab for handguns
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; January 11th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

(Allegheny County)

You posted to the rifle section of the forum. Are you asking for advice on rifle or pistol sights for low light? If rifle, what rifle? What are you using now?
    Toujours pręt

(Monroe County)

Fiber optics alone offer near zero aid in low light/no light conditions
    You're better off spending the money on a flash light.

That being said, they do make, tritium fiber optic sights. Commonly known as TFO's. This is where they take tritium and insert it into the sight, and then place a fiber optic tube behind the tritum, in turn alllowing the tritium to light up the fiber optic tube. Arguably giving you brighter night sights than tritium alone.

Also, are the plain old tritum sights, which is simply a standard sight, with tritium inserts. Mepro brand for example.

On my old carry gun, an XD9 service, I had TruGlo tritum fiber optic (TFO) sights installed by Rich at american sport shooting. I bought them there and he installed them for me with no charge. I was very happy with the sights and had all 3 dots in green. I'm considering getting a set for my XDm, but am also tempted to run with a set of mepro sights this time. As there is a valid concern that the fiber optic tubes sometimes fall out if you bang them around too hard or the tube itself takes a direct hit. In my experience my gun took some pretty hard bangs/drops, but the sights remained unharmed. Tru Glo usually offers life time warranty and will send you replacement sights at no cost if this does happen.

Try and find some members here to hook up with that will let you see them side by side, if you can't find examples in a gun shop.
    Last edited by jcabin; January 11th, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast