Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Purchase in PA by NY'er, PA non-resident license

Hello All,

Introductions. I'm a resident of Upstate NY, specifically Broome County. I have friends and family in Northeast PA (ranging from Scranton to Easton) and the Pittsburgh area. I find myself traveling into PA a lot and have two questions for you.

1) Is it legal for me to purchase a long gun from a PA FFL in person and transport it home or would I have to do a transfer to a NYS FFL? NYS Law allows this type of purchase (NYS Penal Law 265.40), does PA?

2) I have a unrestricted NYS pistol license and a Utah non-resident license. I know the Utah license is accepted by PA. I've considered applying for a PA license anyway, because I visit so frequently. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? The county that borders us (Susquehanna) issues them according to your database.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Purchase in PA by NY'er, PA non-resident license

#1. its legal under Federal Law, and under PA law, if its legal by NY law, for long guns. Hanguns must be transferred via a FFL in your home state.

#2 if PA accepts the Utah license, no need to get a PA Non rsident LTCF unless it helps you carry in a state where Utahs is not accepted.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by BravoCharlie View Post
    1) Is it legal for me to purchase a long gun from a PA FFL in person and transport it home...?
    Yes. Provided the long gun in legal in NY.

On a related note: Handguns must be transferred by a FFL in the recipients state.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoCharlie View Post
    2) I have a unrestricted NYS pistol license and a Utah non-resident license. I know the Utah license is accepted by PA. I've considered applying for a PA license anyway, because I visit so frequently. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? The county that borders us (Susquehanna) issues them according to your database.
    I can't think of a reason not to...

Also: Welcome to PAFOA! I'm originally from Sullivan Co. NY

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

I see someone let Jaybell out of his cage....

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I'm not looking to buy anything that would be problematic under NYS law. Have several gift certificates to Cabela's and want to purchase a bolt action .30-06 of some sort. No Cabela's here in NYS and I would like to purchase in person.

My thought on the PA permit was to have it if I ever had an encounter with law enforcement. No need to worry about whether or not he is aware of the reciprocity arrangement with UT. My understanding is that I won't have any issue getting the PA non-resident since I have the unrestricted NYS license.

Another question I might ask you, if you don't mind. I used to go shooting with family at the public range on the PA State Game Lands in Gouldsboro. I heard it closed down awhile ago. The last time we visited we had seen the aftereffects of the pistol range being trashed by shotguns and a major mess left all over the place. Was it closed because of this type of abuse or for other reasons? Is there another one in the Northeast PA region somewhere?

(Montgomery County)

Heh... I think the Gouldsboro range was the one those islamic nutbags used to plan the fort Dix attack (that never happened)?

otherwise, no idea.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

I'd heard that as well, about the would be Fort Dix attackers.

I liked the place because it was a nice halfway point to meet up with family and shoot. They let me test drive all of their handguns when I made the decision to buy one for myself. Here in NYS we can't even legally hold a handgun until we have a permit. By traveling down to PA I got to legally practice some handgun shooting and figure out what I wanted to buy while I waited for my NYS permit to go through.

There were definitely some colorful types there. Had one group of people show up and start loading up while we were behind the line hanging up targets. Had to have a discussion with them about that! The same group also kept fidgeting with their firearms when the Game Warden showed up to talk to everybody. We set ours down and didn't touch them.

Thanks for the quick responses to my questions everybody!