Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Gunlawyer001's Firearms Law Workshop

I was planning to do some classes in Philadelphia next, but an opportunity to go back to Hellertown Sportsmen's Association came up first, so that's where we're going next. Philadelphia workshops will happen when we line up a suitable venue, should be in 2010 sometime. Also looking for a good place up around Scranton that will hold chairs and tables for 50-75 people.

I've run these before, feedback can be found multiple places on PAFOA.

These are two workshops devoted to the law of guns in Pennsylvania from a practical perspective. I don't cite a lot of cases or read lengthy excerpts from court cases, we just go over what you can do or not do, and cut through the gun shop scuttlebutt and Internet "wisdom". Each four hour session includes lecture and questions and answers. I encourage those questions, so bring them, the point is to answer the questions that you need answered. Bring a pen and notepaper, too, we cover a LOT of ground.

We'll run Session I on February 28th, Sunday, from 1PM to around 5PM. Session II will be a week later, March 7th, Sunday, same times. We'll cover the same topics as before, updated as necessary, and if time permits I'm going to try to fit in some of the material from Session III, on Federal laws, the National Firearms Act, the 2nd Amendment after the Heller case, and related topics.

Cost is still just $50 per person per session if I receive your payment a week in advance, $75 after that. I'll continue my policy of group discounts, 5 people pre-registered on the same form will cost just $200.

The registration form should be here (thanks again to Jason Schafer for his kind hosting):
    http://www.pgklaw.com/registration_form.pdf

Send payment & the Registration Form to me at:
    Law Office of Philip G. Kline, 519 Juniper Street, Quakertown, PA 18951; any questions, the office phone is (215) 538-4444.

Session 1: Pennsylvania law I (4 hours)
    * Owning, open & concealed carrying, vehicle transport, in and around the home, motor homes, "in" motorcycles, workplaces, and what counts as "between" named exemptions
    * PICS/NICS
    * LTCF's - denials, revocations. Appeals
    * transferring, inheriting, lending, borrowing, pawning, gifting
    * prohibited persons under PA and Federal law, temporary prohibitions; domestic relations & Lautenburg (minors, some aliens, convictions, indictments, dishonorable discharges, mental adjudications)
    * Limited immunity under the PA UFA; waivers and releases as applied to 3rd-parties
    * Allowing prohibited persons access to your guns; living with a prohibited person
    * Getting rights restored; Pardons, restorations, other avenues under PA and Federal laws
    * Storage requirements and advice;
    * Seized guns; forfeiture and return of property proceedings;
    * PA preemption - how it applies, how it doesn't; zoning, discharge restrictions, possession of firearms on municipal property; nuisance, noise, health & safety
    * Federal preemption - the 1986 FOPA requirements
    * PA constitution- Art 1, Sec 21

Session 2: Pennsylvania law II (4 hours)
    * The use of force, and the use of deadly force.
    * Self-defense, necessity, and justification
    * Aftermath of a good or bad shooting, civil and criminal
    * Duty to retreat, the Castle Doctrine, and "Stand your ground" laws
    * using NFA firearms for self-defense in the home or on the street
    * Other weapons - machine guns, switchblades, stun guns, bombs, lions and tigers and bears, oh my.
    * Paramilitary training - how much fun are you allowed to have?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gunlawyer001's Firearms Law Workshop

Session 2 sounds interesting. Do you video tape your presentation? I bet you'd sell a lot videos on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Session 2 sounds interesting. Do you video tape your presentation? I bet you'd sell a lot videos on this forum.
    Actually, there is a lot of good info. in both sessions.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I don't presume to answer for Phil, but I inquired about audio recording some sessions I attended. My request was declined for a couple of reasons, including the fact that there are situations/experiences that folks may wish to discuss that they may not want recorded. The known presence of a recording device my inhibit some from speaking frankly.

Also, as far as video recording, because of the dynamic interaction of the class, no two are the same. You could go to "Session 1" several times and learn new things each time depending on the direction the conversations wanders. These are a very interactive type format, not simply a "sit and listen to Phil for a few hours" type of thing.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    . ... These are a very interactive type format, not simply a "sit and listen to Phil for a few hours" type of thing.
    Yep. There is no substitute for the personal setting for a workshop like this. Just go --- You'll get your money's worth.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Northampton County)

This is the one I have been waiting for, Ok I need 4 members here that are going to attend, so we can go as a group for the discount. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Yep. There is no substitute for the personal setting for a workshop like this. Just go --- You'll get your money's worth.
    +1. This is money well-spent. You'll get some great information from someone who is not only professionally knowledgeable about this but also has a personal interest since he's a fellow "gun guy". You'll get to meet some fellow forum folks and spend a day or two learning invaluable information.

(Bucks County)

I'm in for Session II. Form completed, check written, ready to be mailed Monday morning.

(Berks County)

Most likely in for Session II I'll confirm and send registration a little closer to the date.

Bring a pen and notepaper, too, we cover a LOT of ground.
    No kidding - I think I took 20+ pages of notes the first time I attended.
    Last edited by anonymouse; January 12th, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 30Glock View Post
    This is the one I have been waiting for, Ok I need 4 members here that are going to attend, so we can go as a group for the discount. PM me.
    Put me down as No. 2 for the form. PM sent.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast