Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Vision Issues Presenting a Problem: Suggestions?

A little background:
    I am near-sighted, and typically wear glasses for distant vision. In fact, I need to do so. Here's where it gets complex. For distances of approx 12" to 18", I need no vision correction. Working at the computer, for example, I just remove my glasses.
    But, at distances of 12" or less, I really need reading glasses. All of that says, "tri-focals", but I can't imagine me being able to get used to such a thing.

So, how does this affect me at the range?
    First, there's that eye dominance/preference thing. Although my right eye is weakest vision-wise, it's my "preferred eye". I find that if I sight the weapon with just my right eye (left eye closed) I do pretty well, but I the target isn't as clear as I'd like, nor is the front sight, but again, I can do pretty good.

If I sight the weapon with my left eye (the better eye), it doesn't feel natural, but I can see the target better. I do OK that way as well, but it just isn't instinctive.

If I use both eyes, mentally, it's a real brain/eye workout to get used to doing that, and in that case, when I'm able to succeed in not seeing double, I still can't see the sights as well as I'd like.

If I don't wear my glasses as all, the sights on the weapon are all good, with either eye or both, but I can barely see the target.

So, if anyone else has the same problem, how are you dealing with it? I'd consider tri-focals, but I'm not sure that would really address it (having to look up and down between the lens transitions).

Thanks,
    Mark

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Vision Issues Presenting a Problem: Suggestions?

The target SHOULD be blurry. All that should be clear is the front sight.

Lycantrythatthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Go to your eye doctor and explain the situation. He/She should be able to work out a perscription for you.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

You might have to talk to a few eye doctors very slowly to explain it. Over the years, I I talked to a number of ophthmoligists about getting shooting glasses made that put infinity at my front sight. Baffled most of them. Finally one guy said, "Oh, that's easy . . ." and wrote me a script.

Then I had the fun problem of getting an optician to move the optical center of my lens to the upper right corner for bullseye shooting.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    The target SHOULD be blurry. All that should be clear is the front sight.

Lycantrythatthrope
    Thanks. Yes, I understand that, but without glasses, it's virtually impossible to see the bullseye on an 8.5 x 11 target at about 25 feet.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    You might have to talk to a few eye doctors very slowly to explain it. Over the years, I I talked to a number of ophthmoligists about getting shooting glasses made that put infinity at my front sight. Baffled most of them. Finally one guy said, "Oh, that's easy . . ." and wrote me a script.

Then I had the fun problem of getting an optician to move the optical center of my lens to the upper right corner for bullseye shooting.
    Thanks very much. I think I'll call my regular eye doctor, explain it over the phone, and see if they have an idea as to what I'm talking about. "Shooting glasses". Yep, makes sense!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Thanks very much. I think I'll call my regular eye doctor, explain it over the phone, and see if they have an idea as to what I'm talking about. "Shooting glasses". Yep, makes sense!
    You won't have a chance unless you talk to the doctor himself.

(Monroe County)

maybe you could try some high visibility sights that would make it easier for you to shoot with both eyes open such as these:

http://www.suresight.com/

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/pe1.htm

I also remember seeing a set that had a solid yellow rear sight and a solid red front one, but can't remember where they were at the moment.

EDIT: found them: http://www.advantagetactical.com/

Ayoob's write-up: http://www.advantagetactical.com/doc...ine_review.pdf

hope this helps
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; January 11th, 2010 at 10:08 AM.

I've found with my progressive-bifocal eyes that Blackening the rear sight helps, You can use a black dry erase marker to try it yourself first. I just use a sharpie pen on mine which can come off pretty easy if need be.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Cambria County)

I guess the first question is what kind of shooting are you interested in?

If you are concerned with bullseye shooting, then shooting glasses might be the way you want to go.

If you are concerned with self-defense shooting, then you need a solution that will work all the time. The nice thing about self-defense shooting is that you don't have to worry about seeing the bullseye on an 8.5x11 target.

But truthfully, you may not need to worry about that at all. I was once told that I need to focus on the front sight, and even though the target will be blurry, that is okay because the the center of the blur is still the center of the target.

The human brain has an incredible ability to very accurately identify the center of an object. If you take a blank 8.5x11 sheet of paper to the range, focus entirely on the front sight and try to just get the center of the 'white blob' that is the sheet of paper hanging, you will be able to get groups as tight as you could if you were aiming at a bullseye. It just takes a little confidence.

I've seen it done, and I've done it myself. The only time I'll aim for a bullseye or similar point on a target anymore is if I am using some kinds of optics.