Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Philadelphia County)

Default Help me choose my next purchase-- K-var SLR 106 or AR-180B?

Okay, so I'm thinking of selling my Bushmaster M4 clone, my Mini-14 and replacing them either with a K-var SLR-106, a Bulgy AK-74 variant in 5.56 (specific model I'm looking at here: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=356&page=1) OR an AR-180B.

They're both in the same price range, so the advantages/disadvantages to each I see are:

K-VAR

Pros

--Integral picatinny rail and folding stock standard on the K-var model I'm looking at. Would have to purchase rail and folding stock for the AR-180B.

--Slightly shorter overall length

--Battle-tested, legendary AK reliability

Cons

--Legendary AK reliability might be compromised by using non-tapered cartridges

--Of course, standard issues of mags not quickly changeable and no bolt hold-open

--Another obvious one-- shitty iron sights

AR-180

Pros

--First it has some pros (IMO) over the standard M-4 including...longer barrel but folding stock means length when folded is comparable to an M-4 with telescoping stock completely collapsed, simpler operation, and here I'd mention the gas piston if I wanted to get flamed by the pro-DI folks

--Quicker magazine exchange than the AK, plus bolt hold-open feature.

--Better sights than the AK

--Unlike the K-var, specifically designed for the 5.56

Cons

--As noted above, no integral picatinny rail and folding stock. Yeah, I can purchase this stuff, but I've had mixed results installing rails on my weapons...tough to get them tight enough to where they don't start to wiggle loose after several rounds.

--Very limited service history to judge general reliability of the weapon in combat. The PIRA seemed to like it, but then again, these were fairly specific and limited conditions that largely involved picking off a British soldier or RUC cop from a multi-unit building, then taking off.

So here's what I need help on:

--Anyone have any clue on the reliability of the AR-180 versus the AR-15/M4 or versus the AK? I mean, I doubt it's gonna be as reliable and robust as an AK, but does it generally have a favorable reliability profile?

--What about accuracy? How will it stack up vs. the K-var? Very interested in this. On the one hand I've heard it's not quite as accurate as the AR-15, on the other, as noted above, seemed to work well enough for PIRA snipers (though presumably at relatively short distances given the urban environment). But bottom line is...will the AR-180 give me better accuracy than an AK-74 clone in 5.56, and if so, will it be significant or merely marginal?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I'm ditchin both my .223 weapons in favor of whatever I choose here (and don't plan on purchasing anymore anytime soon), so it's a pretty important choice or me
    Last edited by Eugene V. Debs; January 10th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh