Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Driving Holsters

Anyone on the forum that has experience with these? I am changing from a 45ACP to a 357 magnum and the one I traded for comes with a "Ross" driving holster like this one.

I have never used such a holster and would like some ins and outs before I decide to take the holster too.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Centre County)

Default Re: Driving Holsters

Krssteel:

When I used to BUG a Bond Arms Snake Slayer on the weak side I had a holster almost identical to that one. Now the grip was not as long as your soon to be 357 so this will be a bit different.

The Good: Never gouged me anywhere, I could slide it to a position that was most convenient when sitting AND a different position when standing, Was fairly easy to conceal under an untucked shirt when standing.

The Bad: Because of the design of my holster, which was held onto my belt by a length of leather that wrapped around the back of my belt and fastened via Velcro onto the front of the holster - 2 problems arose:
    1-To cinch the holster tight enough to keep it from sagging, it would also (by design) tighten the holsters grip on my firearm. This made it EXTREMELY difficult to draw.
    2-If I was to loosen the Velcro enough to make it a bit easier to draw 2 problems arose from that:
    a) As listed above, the weight of the gun would allow the holster to sag
    b) By the design of the holster as listed above (and yours may be held onto the belt in a different manner) loosening the cinch would allow the holster to slide in the direction that you were drawing the gun, thus not allowing a clean draw.

The Ugly: Aside from my pretty mug , I liked the design concept but it just did not suit me. Shortly after I purchased the driving holster I bought another Non-Driving style.

I no longer carry the Snake Slayer on my weak side but if I ever do again, it will not be in the driving holster which I currently own.

Yours may be a different setup than the one I own so YMMV.

Default Re: Driving Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Krssteel View Post

I have never used such a holster and would like some ins and outs before I decide to take the holster too.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
    Kinda looks like it would dig into your leg while driving, I just use a OWB leather holster for everything.

Picture shows it with the Taurus PT745 I had, same holster works great for the Ruger P345 I now carry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%