Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 acp bullets

(Franklin County)

Default 45 acp bullets

I'm sure someone on the Forum has purchased bullets from King Shooters Supply in King of Prussa. I'm about ready to start reloading. 45acp will be my first try and I am unsure about cast bullets. The prices make these attractive and I would rather purchase from a PA. dealer than order from Texas or Missouri. Opinions,pros/cons,on cast bullets in 45 acp would be appreciated. Thanks

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 45 acp bullets

I have no experience with King Shooters personally, though I have heard good things about them by members on this forum.

Personally, I do not load cast bullets in anything except .38 SPL. Loading 230 gr LCRN in .45 ACP is what made me decide against lead cast altogether (except in my .38). Loading lead is cheaper, but shooting jacketed or plated is a lot cleaner to shoot and easier to reload. If you really want to save money, go with lead cast. I've found that lead bullets for .45 are about 20 to 30 dollars per thousand cheaper (though I haven't shopped around much for lead cast bullets). I'm willing to pay that difference for jacketed. YMMV.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Luzerne County)

Another take on this idea. I shoot, probably, twenty times more cast bullets than jacketed out of my .45s. The savings are real and the accuracy is first rate.
    Now that even cast bullets have gotten expensive, I cast most of what I shoot and bullets cost virtually nothing. I use them in competition and accuracy remains fine.
    Reloading - no criticism intended - cast bullets load easily if you set the expander die with that in mind. I load thousands every year along with jacketed bullets - back and forth between them on the same press - and I have noticed little to no difference. Using cast factory lubed bullets will result, over time in a build up of wax in the seating die. Pop it out occasionally (I do it once a year) and clean out the wax.

Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

There is a company in Lebanon PA that makes match grade cast lead for 45 acp Precision Custom Ammunition or something like that. A box of 500 costs about $35 I think. You can Keep your $$$$ in Pa both ways by buying from a dealer in PA that sells made in PA bullets

I use the 200g semi-flatnose and have zero feeding problems in either my 1911 or other 45's
    Last edited by tdyoung58; January 10th, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Another take on this idea. I shoot, probably, twenty times more cast bullets than jacketed out of my .45s. The savings are real and the accuracy is first rate.
    Now that even cast bullets have gotten expensive, I cast most of what I shoot and bullets cost virtually nothing. I use them in competition and accuracy remains fine.
    Reloading - no criticism intended - cast bullets load easily if you set the expander die with that in mind. I load thousands every year along with jacketed bullets - back and forth between them on the same press - and I have noticed little to no difference. Using cast factory lubed bullets will result, over time in a build up of wax in the seating die. Pop it out occasionally (I do it once a year) and clean out the wax.

Pete
    I do load cast bullets for the .38 SPL and they load okay, but no matter how much flare I give my cases (and I try not to overdue it to increase case life), the jacketed just load more easily... also I have to clean out my seating die much more often than once a year to get the wax buildup out. The biggest reason I quit reloading lead cast bullets was because they didn't feed as reliably... and were a bit dirtier in my guns.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    There is a company in Lebanon PA that makes match grade cast lead for 45 acp Perscision Casting Machine or something like that. A box of 500 costs about $35 I think. You can Keep your $$$$ in Pa both ways by buying from a dealer in PA that sells made in PA bullets

I use the 200g semi-flatnose and have zero feeding problems in either my 1911 or other 45's
    Is there a link or contact information for this Lebanon Business? My google came up empty.

I want to trylead but when I swung by Cabelas this past month Berry's plated were cheaper then Oregon Trail cast lead, and Rainier plated were about the same price as Oregon Trail. Obviously I bought the cleaner running plated version- and still haven't tried lead yet.

cast bullets are all i use, i use the hard ones. 1500 through the mac so far and not one problem. im paying 110.00 for 1500 delivered.
    FJB

(Lancaster County)

I have shot a lot of cast bullets in many different pistols.there cheaper then jacketed. the one thing you should get is a lewis lead remover.it makes getting lead out of your barrel real easy.crazywolf

(Chester County)

I have loaded and shot thousands of cast bullets from King’s with good success. I’ve been using the 45acp 200gr flat point. Years ago I switched from jacketed to plated to save money. As prices continued to get crazy I switched to King’s cast bullets. Lately I only shoot what I cast myself.

As far as the King’s 200gr flat point I load 4.0 grains of clays and seat to 1.210”. Nice pleasant load and all the casings land in the same spot.

King's is the best in the area. Roger is friendly and everyone is helpful. Great place to get what you need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast