Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: mindset

(Westmoreland County)

Default mindset

Mindset: A fixed mental attitude or disposition that predetermines a person's responses to and interpretations of situations.

We talk about mindset as being one of the most important, if not the most important aspect of self defense. There is no shortage of stories wherein very good shooters performed very poorly in lethal threat encounters. Speed is great. Calm is better.

Developing proper mindset is difficult. There are no specific "exercises" or "drills" as it comes mostly from experience. However, it can be cultivated in the training environment through the use of simulator exercises and FoF training.

Boris Becker, one of the pro tennis circuit phenoms from the 1990's once said in an interview after winning a grand slam tournament that "... the fifth set has nothing to do with tennis, it is all about heart and fighting".

There is a good lesson in that quote for those who carry a firearm for self-protection.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: mindset

we must be on the same wavelength ........

I posted this elsewhere yesterday

I knew how to shoot before my first basic 3 day defensive pistol class.

I could hit a target, I could move and shoot (not as well as I do now of course) and had some skill with my pistol. I had limited mechanical shooting ability at least.

But what I gained from that class wasnt about skill. It wasnt about improving my draw time and shrinking my groups, even though that did happen. The big thing I took from it was a new perspective.

On day 2 we viewed the Cooper lecture on mental preparedness, we had Q&A time with a practicing lawyer to review the legal apects of the use of force, and we had a frank and honest discussion about what it means to have to actually shoot another living human being to save your life and the lives of those you love.

There was no internet bravado. No one said "Better to be judges by 12........... " or swooned about their rights and the jack booted thugs and the damn government. It was a sobering experiance. And for the first time I really, out loud, had a converstation and recognized the serious nature of what we where discussing.

It was suggested that we think long and hard about the subject matter. That we speak to our wives, lovers, priests, and close friends about it. That we clearly and distinctly find our own line, and make our decisions ahead of time. Under what circumstances are we willing to make that final decision.

It was nothing less than life changing.

"It may come for you today. Before the sun goes down. You may need to press the trigger....... for keeps"
    -Col. Cooper

(Cambria County)

Training in its most fundamental form is all about making decisions in advance so that the mind is as free as possible to process and negotiate dynamics rapidly under stress.

From the very basics of the beginner pistol courses to the most advanced FoF scenarios, it is all about developing the mindset, the predetermined actions.

When a person pulls a gun in self-defense, they have to choose how they are going to hold the gun, how they are going to align the sights, how they are going to press the trigger and so on and so forth. Training in a basic pistol class gives students the opportunity to learn one or more possible ways to make all the decisions, and set in their mind that the decision is already made.

As training progresses, more and more decisions are being made. Some decisions are conscious decisions and some operate subconsciously. For example, I've consiously decided that I will aim COM of the target unless the situation clearly dictates that another POA is necessary. On an unconscious level, at least for me, is how fast I pull out the gun for the presentation. Training has let my body 'decide' how fast is appropriate for me to present the weapon without risking a fumble or wild shots.

Training also includes situational awareness and decisions regarding how to respond when faced with potential or immediate threats. When I feel like there are potential attackers trying to maneuver into a suitable position to initiate a mugging or whatever, I have already decided what kind of precautionary measures I am going to use. Having already decided these things, my mind is free to process important details in the environment that might be otherwise overlooked.

The nice thing about professional training is that you can get answers to these decisions from someone who is very experienced and is likely to have high quality solutions available. It helps to have the decisions made ahead of time, but it is better to have the right decisions made.

A person may decide ahead of time that if someone tries to grab their gun, they will respond by taking off their hat... Or they may make a better decision based on the opinion of a professional.

It's all about mindset. Good post.

(Monroe County)

Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands.
    -Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Doing something like reading while exercising on a treadmill is good for training your brain while your body is under stress. I do this, and will also practice drawing and reloading while on the treadmill. I learned this from Dr. Michael Asken. Here is a link to his site.
    http://mindsighting.com/
    Jules
    Last edited by ar15jules; January 10th, 2010 at 12:23 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    we must be on the same wavelength ........

I posted this elsewhere yesterday

I knew how to shoot before my first basic 3 day defensive pistol class.

I could hit a target, I could move and shoot (not as well as I do now of course) and had some skill with my pistol. I had limited mechanical shooting ability at least.

But what I gained from that class wasnt about skill. It wasnt about improving my draw time and shrinking my groups, even though that did happen. The big thing I took from it was a new perspective.

On day 2 we viewed the Cooper lecture on mental preparedness, we had Q&A time with a practicing lawyer to review the legal apects of the use of force, and we had a frank and honest discussion about what it means to have to actually shoot another living human being to save your life and the lives of those you love.

There was no internet bravado. No one said "Better to be judges by 12........... " or swooned about their rights and the jack booted thugs and the damn government. It was a sobering experiance. And for the first time I really, out loud, had a converstation and recognized the serious nature of what we where discussing.

It was suggested that we think long and hard about the subject matter. That we speak to our wives, lovers, priests, and close friends about it. That we clearly and distinctly find our own line, and make our decisions ahead of time. Under what circumstances are we willing to make that final decision.

It was nothing less than life changing.

"It may come for you today. Before the sun goes down. You may need to press the trigger....... for keeps"
    -Col. Cooper
    The above post, and I believe I read something similar from Shawn posted previously here, very eloquently described my similar experience after taking training. Two events really changed my perspective on situational awareness, preparedness and responsibility:

1) Defensive Handgun training
    2) In a restaurant when the fire alarm sounded. Was there with the family, layout had main entrance in middle and seating locations via short hallways to both left/right of entrance. We were seated such that I could see towards kitchen. Grease fire lights up, I watch flames start working their way up the wall then crawl across roof (like in a movie). I jump up, right then the alarm sounds and I gather family and start towards fire exit about 2 tables away. I hit the door and hold it open and usher family out safely on sidewalk.

I look back and am STUNNED to see people jamming up like cattle in the narrow chute to go out the front door (the only way then knew) with me still holding the door open and some people still SITTING at their tables thinking its probably just a false alarm or something.

Talked about that with the family for a while, still do. That event changed things at home as well as when we're out. Kids are programmed to identify and call out exits wherever we go (and know that daddy always faces main entrance).