Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Exclamation Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Default Re: Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

If you see an armed jogger in Mount Airy these days, it's not a "run-by" in progress.
    He's trying to make a point.

James Moody, 49, who lives in the neighborhood and comes from a self-described "firearms family," said he began jogging with a handgun at his hip a couple months ago.
    He admits a jogger with a gun in plain view on Vernon Road may be a bit "eye-opening," but Moody, a truck driver and city native, said he's doing it to raise awareness about gun rights.
    One police officer walking the beat in the 14th District thought it jarring enough to stop Moody mid-run Monday -- and the first 15 minutes of the encounter were caught on video shot by Moody's Go-Pro.
    In it, which Moody posted to Youtube Tuesday, the officer, who identifies himself as Officer Cave, crosses Vernon Road to ask Moody about the handgun. Cave approaches with a coffee in one hand and asks Moody if he has a license to carry. Moody refuses to answer the officer's questions about a firearms license. As other officers arrive, they too ask Moody about a license to carry or another form of identification. Cave, a sergeant and two other officers all in turn ask Moody as the group discusses the legality of carrying a firearm in public.

None of the officers nor Moody become angry, but at least one of the officers points to her phone and tells Moody he is not allowed to carry a firearm openly.
    In Pennsylvania, Moody argued in the video and then in a subsequent interview Tuesday, gun owners with a license to carry firearms are free to "open carry" anywhere in the state -- even Philadelphia.

"Clearly, the officers don’t know the laws that Philadelphia is governed by. They had no clue about what is lawful and unlawful," said Moody, Pennsylvania's 1988 Golden Gloves superheavyweight boxing champion. "You can, under Title 18 Section 6108, open carry a firearm.
    "We also don’t live in a stop-and-identify state. Do they stop everyone in a motor vehicle just because they’re driving? No, you need probable cause. You have no reason to detain me and question me. It may be a little eye opening, but it is not unlawful."

Moody's video of the encounter ends after about 15 minutes because his Go-Pro battery died, but he said police continued to question him about the gun and why he wouldn't show any identification. He said they eventually handcuffed him briefly, searched him, and found his license to carry inside his wallet. He was then let go.
    "I love the idea of open carry. It’s our constitutional right. I do it all the time," Moody said. "I don’t see why anyone would impede my right to do so."
    An attorney who has wrangled with the city of Philadelphia for decades over citizens' gun rights, Jon Mirowitz, said the law doesn't prohibit Moody from openly carrying his gun.

But, Mirowitz said, everyone, whether you're a cop or a civilian, should adhere to a simple rule: Act civil.
    "In this sort of a confrontation, there is nobody that’s right or nobody that’s wrong," Mirowitz said. "Being civil is the key. All the guy has to do is say, "Here's my ID. All the cop has to do is say, 'I’m not giving you a hard time. I just want to see some ID.'"
    The Philadelphia police department did not respond to requests for comment about the incident.

The incident occurred near related April 24 shootings on Vernon Road that left two men dead, including one man who had just been talking with a state House candidate.
    Officers in the 14th should take heed: Moody said he doesn't plan to quit armed jogging anytime soon -- even if his wife said she isn't happy about him putting himself at risk.
    "My wife is upset with me now because I put myself at risk," he said. "But I told her freedom isn’t free. I call it my exercising my mind, my body, and my Second Amendment rights."

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...#ixzz47dsX3ZVB
    Follow us: @nbcphiladelphia on Twitter | nbcphiladelphia on Facebook
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

I'm pretty sure you have to show your LTCF if you OC in Philly and an officer requests to see it. Just like if an officer sees you exiting from a vehicle or entering a vehicle while OCing, he can request to see your LTCF?
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Delaware County)

The dumbest part of this whole incident is the guy refusing to show proof of requirement(1) as he have one himself.

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.
    No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:
    (1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
    (2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

Refusing to identify himself is his right, refusing to show proof of requirement to legally do something is a whole different story.
    My two cents.

(Lancaster County)

It's a bullshit City of the first class requirement. Having to get a LTCF is bullshit. Just as a license to purchase in more tyrannical states is bullshit.
    Some will say " Well it's the law. If you don't like it, change it".
    I wish it were that easy. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it was difficult. The truth is it is damn near impossible. Laws rarely get scrapped, especially gun restrictions.

Even the lawyer saying "just show ID if asked. He missed the point. What is it to be free if you are only as free as you are willing to comply to demands

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    It's a bullshit City of the first class requirement. Having to get a LTCF is bullshit. Just as a license to purchase in more tyrannical states is bullshit.
    Some will say " Well it's the law. If you don't like it, change it".
    I wish it were that easy. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it was difficult. The truth is it is damn near impossible. Laws rarely get scrapped, especially gun restrictions.

Even the lawyer saying "just show ID if asked. He missed the point. What is it to be free if you are only as free as you are willing to comply to demands
    I agree with you... That being said yes we have to prove a point time and time again with the police regarding our second amendment rights and their lack of knowledge at the same time... Aren't we as 2nd amendment advocates barking up the wrong tree? It's congres and the legislatures... They are the ones that's constantly infringing on our rights but that's another topic. I'm no fan of the police per se but especially considering their job is to know the law and half the time they're mindless puppets with their own agenda.. Lol that's another topic as well

But what I'm trying to say.. Is it wrong to cooperate with the police, I mean me personally if I'm stopped OC'ing I have no problems showing my credentials and being on my merry way. What is so hard about just showing your license? A law abiding citizen has nothing to worry about except for his civil rights being violated by the police... I'm asking you guys... When it comes to standing up for our second admendment rights... Am I a punk ass for cooperating with LEOS?
    Last edited by Muscle Master; May 3rd, 2016 at 10:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Wow..they should all be fired.

(Montgomery County)

I did not finish the video. Too much for me.
    The jogger is in the city of Philadelphia. He needs an LTCF to carry.
    If he had one, he should have shown it and jogged along on his way.

His choice to jog (and I am presuming) to live in that city.

Eta. I finished the video. My opinion is unchanged.
    Last edited by Remington788; May 3rd, 2016 at 10:48 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah,everyone going round and round and back and forth when all the guy had to do was produce his permit.What is the point in obtaining a permit if one refuses to show it upon request?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Yeah,everyone going round and round and back and forth when all the guy had to do was produce his permit.What is the point in obtaining a permit if one refuses to show it upon request?
    I agree, and given how nazi Philly PD is, it could have resulted in him losing his license and would have to go thru hell and back just to get it restored

It's bullshit I know.. But as it stands it's the reality we gun nuts have to put up with

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast