Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default A M-4 with a 1&7 ??

Greetings all I have bought a M-4 with a upper of a 1&7 twist. Great set up but the problem i am haveing is:

I have tried ever kind of round i could get my hands on from the standered 55gr round no good i went as high as 72 gr and still key holed the paper and help on the right round for this set up would get great thanks for your help.

Andy

Default Re: A M-4 with a 1&7 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bear3245 View Post
    Greetings all I have bought a M-4 with a upper of a 1&7 twist. Great set up but the problem i am haveing is:

I have tried ever kind of round i could get my hands on from the standered 55gr round no good i went as high as 72 gr and still key holed the paper and help on the right round for this set up would get great thanks for your help.

Andy

the heavier bullets work better in 1:7 twist rate barrels. What brand rifle/barrel and what brand ammunition?

(Westmoreland County)

The 1:7 twist should and will shoot everything from under 50 gr through 80 gr bullets fine. Are what you have tried so far all factory loaded ammo? How bad is the Keyholing? Completely sideways? and at what range. This shouldnt be happening. I would check the actual twist with a tight patch and cleaning rod.Secondly I would contact the person or company you bought it from and explain the situation. Whos upper /barrel is it BTW?

Tim

(Berks County)

the ammo i am useing is blackhills from the box no reloads it is a stag lower and the upper i am not to sure of but the etching on the lower side is a 1&7 twist i started at 25 yards and thought that was to close to get the right hits on paper so i went to 50 yards and they hit flat and just slap the paper i do all my rifel shooting out side lots of room and open flat area.

thanks for the help maybe i should try again and that blows because i love this dam gun and the weather bites for out door shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Don't look on the upper for the twist rate. Take your hand guards off and look at your barrel.

Although the 1/7 don't shoot as accurately as say a 1/9 does with 55 grains, but it shouldn't keyhole like that. Maybe someone like Lycan or someone else with more experience can chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lawrence County)

If it's a used gun and 1:7, that barrel is shot out.

Find the twist rate on the barrel. If you have a 1:12, that may keyhole with the bullets you are using.

Lycanwhere'dyagetitthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Lycan..............about how many rounds would it take to shoot out an m4 barrel?

tens of thousands of rounds?
    Adapt, Adjust and Overcome.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamhistory View Post
    Lycan..............about how many rounds would it take to shoot out an m4 barrel?

Depends on how hot you get it. Lots of full auto fire can burn them out pretty quick.

Lycan10k+thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    If it's a used gun and 1:7, that barrel is shot out . . .

. . . OR the muzzle crown is seriously FUBAR from a previous owner using a segmented steel cleaning rod, OR the muzzle device was not installed correctly and the bullets are striking the muzzle device just a smidge on the way out the door, OR the twist isn't 1:7 at all, and more like 1:12.

Noah

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by iamhistory View Post

A quality barrel such as Colt, LMT etc can go 20k plus rnds unless heavy full auto was all they seen.

I would say to check and make sure there is no contact with the flash hider or maybe the crown of the barrel is damaged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast