Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Traffic stop-In which states does the cop know about your CCW permit?

Hi
    From the textbook, “The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry,” by Massad Ayoob, 2008, page 33, the author states, concerning traffic stops while carrying a loaded gun, that there are 3 different kinds of states:
    1. those that require a CCW holder to identify himself
    2. those that don’t require #1, but cross reference their CCW files with their state department of motor vehicles, so they therefore know
    3. states that do neither
    My question: Is there a listing somewhere of the different kinds of states? It would be nice to know ahead of time.
    Thanks,
    John

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Traffic stop-In which states does the cop know about your CCW permit?

Quote Originally Posted by JOB View Post
    Hi
    2. those that don’t require #1, but cross reference their CCW files with their state department of motor vehicles, so they therefore know
    3. states that do neither
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I can tell you that the above two aren't really correct, certainly not for PA. Information that the police get from the dispatchers or their CAD system vary from county to county.

Default Re: Traffic stop-In which states does the cop know about your CCW permit?

GA has no database for our permit holders nor would i think they would be informed of permit holders from another state

i know that va does

(Centre County)

You safe bet is just to inform the LEO as soon as he approaches your driver side window, esp outside of PA. Besides the LEO will appreciate the curtiosity.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    You safe bet is just to inform the LEO as soon as he approaches your driver side window, esp outside of PA. Besides the LEO will appreciate the curtiosity.
    ***ducks behind couch to avoid getting hit by the shit storm that is about to erupt in response to this post***
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Luzerne County)

I disagree entirely. As do the folks that have been subjected to abuse and unlawful searches, etc by doing what you suggest.
    Not *all* LEO are your friend.

Of course, this has been debated/discussed to death in many threads. This one is about what states require to inform and which ones tie your license to to your drivers license info.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; January 8th, 2010 at 11:52 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Chester County)

My LTCF has a 877 number for law enforcement to call on it...

If not required to inform by law, why say anything at all?

You like looking at the muzzle of a gun????????

Michigan, must inform [only if your actually carrying] at first contact AND your CPL [LTCF] connected to the DMV records.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast