Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Traffic stop-In which states does the cop know about your CCW permit?

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    My LTCF has a 877 number for law enforcement to call on it...
    Mine has a 666 number on it

Seriously, check here:

Concealed Firearm Permit Information By State from USA Carry.com
    Last edited by HiredGoon; January 9th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Traffic stop-In which states does the cop know about your CCW permit?

Of course your best bet is to research the website of whatever state you plan to visit for the most up to date/accurate laws.

In lieu of that however, this site: http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is pretty good with info as well, the map is interactive, click on any state for the info they have on the laws, including duty to inform.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for all of you replies.
    John

DE doesn't have any laws concerning a 'duty to inform' and our CCDW's aren't tied to our driver licenses. (so I'd assume they don't have that information from other states as well)
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

Ohio, and you MUST inform "in a timely fashion" if stopped for an "official purpose" WHILE CARRYING.

Last year Beachwood cops falsely arrested a guy for failing to notify in a "timely" fashion (51 second, in fact)... during a felony stop in which they ordered him not to speak. He went to trial and was acquitted. I expect that the city and the officers will be eating a really big civil suit over that one.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    ***ducks behind couch to avoid getting hit by the shit storm that is about to erupt in response to this post***
    I'm shocked he didn't get it. This scenario (spilling the beans that your carrying), is usually the first thing that rouses the members here to slap the sh*t out of you and wake you into reality. Maybe he will break the second law found here on the forum and comment that "Open carrying just makes troubles for everybody else!" Now there's where the sh*t really hits the fan. I'm staying tuned in...
    Last edited by K.C.; January 11th, 2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling error

You safe bet is just to inform the LEO as soon as he approaches your driver side window,

This is what I do and have never had any problem.

If not required to inform by law, why say anything at all?

It gives the LEO stopping you a heads up and is a much better idea than him or her discovering it and avoids a confrontational situation.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    You safe bet is just to inform the LEO as soon as he approaches your driver side window,

This is what I do and have never had any problem.

If not required to inform by law, why say anything at all?

It gives the LEO stopping you a heads up and is a much better idea than him or her discovering it and avoids a confrontational situation.
    It didn't work that way for this guy:

The Virginia Citizens Defense League reports three Fairfax County, VA police officers are involved in a false arrest of a North Carolina man.

We haven't had any issues with the Fairfax County police in quite a while now. I have found them to be one of the best run police agencies in Virginia, stated Philip Van Cleave.

However, three officers tarnished that image last week when they unlawfully arrested a North Carolina resident who was legally carrying a handgun and had a North Carolina CHP.

Hold on tight - this is a weird story.

The gun owner was pulled over for running through a red light, a charge which the gun owner disputes.

The gun owner, believing that he had to disclose he was lawfully armed as they do in North Carolina, dutifully told the officer he had a NC CHP and was indeed armed.

The officer seemed to ignore the statement, but very shortly two more patrol units pulled up. The next thing the gun owner knew he is in a "felony stop" mode. He was asked to walk backwards towards the officers, who then disarmed and handcuffed him.

While trying to unloaded his gun, THEY DROPPED IT ONTO THE ROAD!

The two officers and a SERGEANT then proceeded to tell him that he was under arrested for:

1. Having hollow point bullets, which they claimed were illegal in Virginia (!)
    2. Taking a loaded gun across the state line, which the gun owner was told was a FELONY (!)
    3. Having a concealed gun that the police said he couldn't have since he was from North Carolina (!!)

His car and gun were impounded and he was taken off to a magistrate.

The magistrate looked at the charges and told the police officers that they had just made a false arrest.

The officers pointed out the possession of hollow point bullets. The magistrate asked, "are they teflon coated?"

"No," replied on of the officers.

"Then they are legal."

Trying to find something that would stick and justify the false arrest, one of the officers said, "We couldn't verify that his North Carolina permit is valid."

The magistrate looked at the permit, noticed the phone number on the back where one can call to verify the permit, called the number, and within a few minutes found out the permit was indeed valid.

The gun owner was ordered to be released.

After being released from custody, the gun owner was given a hard time by another officer about getting his gun back, but he did finally get it back.

If all of that isn't bad enough, the arresting officer went ahead and gave the gun owner a ticket for the alleged offense of running a red light!

In essence, with that brilliant move, the officer was practically BEGGING the gun owner to PLEASE sue Fairfax Count for the false arrest!

I have already talked to my high-level contact with the Fairfax County PD about this entire situation and the gun owner has filed a formal complaint.

In the past, Fairfax County PD has been very good when such internal investigations are required. Now we will wait and see what happens.

What is clear is that Fairfax County PD needs to educate its officers on:

1. Possession of hollow point bullets
    2. Reciprocity laws
    3. Lawful carriage of firearms across state lines
    4. Safe gun handling (a few years ago unsafe gun handling by an officer cause a gun to discharge, killing an unarmed, handcuffed man)

-------------------------------------------
    ************************************************** *************************
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
    dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
    Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZ View Post
    unless the officer asks you to exit the vehicle and/or you are open carrying (or doing a very poor job of concealing), he isn't going to know.

thus, telling the LEO is much more likely to *create*, rather than avoid, a confrontational situation.

in addition to the instance cited in the post above this, do a search on this forum for "hawley police steal gun"...or just generally look around for posts about people having their firearms confiscated (even if only for the duration of the stop--though it sometimes goes beyond that) as a result of informing the police they are legally armed.
    F*S=k

It didn't work that way for this guy:

I can see it didn't but thousands of articles saying "I told the officer I have a permit and was carrying and nothing happened" have no news value.

unless the officer asks you to exit the vehicle and/or you are open carrying (or doing a very poor job of concealing), he isn't going to know.

thus, telling the LEO is much more likely to *create*, rather than avoid, a confrontational situation.

I will agree to disagree. I was a LEO for over 30 years and always felt better if someone who was carrying told me about it. If the guy had a valid carry permit I could be pretty sure I wasn't dealing with John Dillinger.

You can also do search and find numerous threads of people relating how LEOs made favorable comments when someone was OC or informed the LEO they were carrying. Are there bad cops? Sure. About the same percentage that there are bad people who managed to get a carry permit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast