Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Question from a first time "trainee"

Hey guys,
    Been shooting pistols for 5 years or so and run drills with guys who train a good bit, but about to take my first real, professionally run course tomorrow. I carry IWB probably 80% of the time. My question is this: Since I can practice draw and presentation at home, do you think I should use my OWB for the course and focus on the other aspects of dry and live fire, etc, or should I do the class exactly as I spend the majority of my day? Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Question from a first time "trainee"

i'd say, practice what you practice, meaning, if you carry IWB, train for that. not doing so would be like training wih a glock, even thoufgh you carry a 1911.

(Allegheny County)

What does the course instructor say in response to your question?

I have seen recommendations for OWB holsters that will not require you to hold it open to reholster (i.e. no collapsing nylon holster) for some classes.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    What does the course instructor say in response to your question?

I have seen recommendations for OWB holsters that will not require you to hold it open to reholster (i.e. no collapsing nylon holster) for some classes.
    wise words indeed.

You need to be able to reholster one handed. If you need to use two hands the chances are good that you will sweep your own hand, no one wants that.

I have seen plenty of people use IWB holsters in classes, but they have always been good quality holsters that stay open. Such as leather with reinforced opening and the comp-tac style minotaur holsters.

Ask your instructor specifically.

Out of curiosity, what course are you taking and from whom ?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i'd say, practice what you practice, meaning, if you carry IWB, train for that. not doing so would be like training wih a glock, even thoufgh you carry a 1911.
    Exactly. Train with what you use daily.
    They would probably give you some pointers about drawing from concealment with an IWB holster that you won't learn if you bring your OWB.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    wise words indeed.

You need to be able to reholster one handed. If you need to use two hands the chances are good that you will sweep your own hand, no one wants that.

I have seen plenty of people use IWB holsters in classes, but they have always been good quality holsters that stay open. Such as leather with reinforced opening and the comp-tac style minotaur holsters.

Ask your instructor specifically.

Out of curiosity, what course are you taking and from whom ?

Thats pretty much what I figured. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck so I can reholster one handed, and I actually just got my holster from Pure Kustom yesterday, and I can reholster one handed with that too. I may use the course to break in the new holster. And actually, its the "Black Ops Pro" which you can wear either way, so if IWB isnt doing the trick I can switch it!!

Shawn, I'm taking the "Real World Self Defense" class this Saturday with Dr. Bruce Eimer and Walt Rauch. It is listed in the "Training" section of this forum. Hopefully it will be a good one!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Thats pretty much what I figured. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck so I can reholster one handed, and I actually just got my holster from Pure Kustom yesterday, and I can reholster one handed with that too. I may use the course to break in the new holster. And actually, its the "Black Ops Pro" which you can wear either way, so if IWB isnt doing the trick I can switch it!!

Shawn, I'm taking the "Real World Self Defense" class this Saturday with Dr. Bruce Eimer and Walt Rauch. It is listed in the "Training" section of this forum. Hopefully it will be a good one!
    good quality gear, I expect you will be well served with them. If the leather isnt broken in yet I wouldnt run it for the class. You dont want distracted from learning by equipment issues.

write us up an AAR in this TT&C forum after !

(Delaware County)

good quality gear, I expect you will be well served with them. If the leather isnt broken in yet I wouldnt run it for the class. You dont want distracted from learning by equipment issues.

Will do, thanks!

(Bucks County)

The training I took last year (General Defensive Handgun) was 2 days. On day 1, everyone was drawing OWB without concealment. On day 2, the instructors asked all of us if anyone wanted to practice drawing from concealment. It was very helpful to practice this with under their watchful eyes and help.

I know this is a bit different than your original question, but you may want to see if they can reserve time practice drawing from concealment (if not part already part of program).

Enjoy!

(Delaware County)

Shawn,
    The new holster seems to draw pretty well, I have worn it yesterday and today and put the gun in it overnight, do you think it would impede me at training? Maybe similar to walking ten miles in a brand new pair of boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    The training I took last year (General Defensive Handgun) was 2 days. On day 1, everyone was drawing OWB without concealment. On day 2, the instructors asked all of us if anyone wanted to practice drawing from concealment. It was very helpful to practice this with under their watchful eyes and help.

I know this is a bit different than your original question, but you may want to see if they can reserve time practice drawing from concealment (if not part already part of program).

Enjoy!

Thats what I was thinking, except it specifically says "concealment holster" in course requirements. One of the neat parts about my new Pure Kustom holster is that it is IWB and OWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast