Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Positive experience at Berks Courthouse

Went down to Reading today to visit the Clerk of Courts office. On my way down, I was going over in my head what/how I would respond and keep my cool if "Berks County Security" (SGI) gave me any crap about wanting to check my pistol.

I walked right up to the checkpoint, and here's, basically, what transpired:

Guard: "How's it goin'?"
    Me: "Good, and you?"
    Guard: "Pretty good. Place your briefcase on the conveyeur(sp?) and empty your pockets into the dish."
    Me: "I also need to check my firearm."
    Guard: "That's fine. No problem. Just keep it where it is until you come through."

Blah, blah, blah... I go through, he wands me, tells me to collect my stuff and follow him around the counter. I fill out a little claim form, he checks my LTCF (I guess he was verifying the info I wrote on the form), opens up one of them lockers, and says "Go ahead and put it in there."

When I was done, I gave them my claim form and LTCF to verify I.D. (I'm guessing), and they handed me the key to the locker to retrieve my gun.

Now, I don't want any "you should've refused to give your LTCF" or stuff like that. I don't really care. If they want to see my I.D. or any form of it, I got nothing to hide. In my opinion, the courthouse is no place to pick a pissing match with people who are "authorized" to beat me down (the sheriffs are almost always are standing right there) when they want, regardless of how much of the county I would own later.

Just passing on this non-hustling encounter I had. No problems, no attitude, all business. I, for one, was impressed.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Positive experience at Berks Courthouse

I never had ANY problems with Berks Co Courthouse. I used to work in the Comm center ( 911) a few years ago when it was on the 18th floor , nights. I walk in, dive over to the lockers , hand my slip to the guard and away I went. Needless to say , as an employee , we did not have to go through the detectors . The night shift guard gave me a stack of slips , I pre-filled them out with my info and weapon serial so I did not have to do it every day. When I would go out on lunch and smoke breaks , I would re-holster because of the varmints that prowled in the evening hours. Especially when one of their own would come sailing out of a cruiser or the city paddy wagon and tossed in the doors ..LOL

It was fun to see them all shackled up , especially if I took the original 911 call or dispatched the incident. A bit of satisfaction.

(Northampton County)

Cool Re: Positive experience at Berks Courthouse

awesome!!! mabey it is starting to become a common thing that happens at the courthouse now. As far as them repeatdlty asking for your LTCF who cares,as long as there not pricks in the process. and you are right about that being probably there worst place to play who has the biggest Johnson(lol). Now on monday i will be going to northampton co courthouse to take my brother in law & father in law to apply for there LTCF. There are proud guns owners. and after many disscussion about OC CC there are going to apply for the LTCF's. I do plan on checking my firearm when i get there. I can only hope my experience is as easy and smooth as yours was. Wish me luck

(Berks County)

I went into the courthouse Tuesday and checked in my firearm as well without any hassles. I coincidentally was going up to the Sheriff's office to fill out some paperwork not pertaining to firearms tho.

(Allegheny County)

Has anyone done this at the Allegheny County Court House? Do they have a firearms check?
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    Has anyone done this at the Allegheny County Court House? Do they have a firearms check?
    They are required by law to have such.

Ref:
    18Pa.C.S.§913

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    They are required by law to have such.

Ref:
    18Pa.C.S.§913
    And you and I both know that doesn't guarantee they have a firearm check .
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota 35-1 View Post

Just passing on this non-hustling encounter I had. No problems, no attitude, all business. I, for one, was impressed.
    Glad to hear that it worked out well for you. I'm from Reading. I still like the attitudes of those folks when I visit, compared to some of the hammerheads around here.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by inspector710 View Post
    Yes, and they won't give you ank flak.